Jim Berger's blog - a White Sox fan living in Red Sox nation

Moderator: Padres

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

2009 Draft

Post by Padres »

1. Drew Storen, RHP

In the end I decided to draft for immediate team need. There are other players whose long term potential I like better (some of whom I presume will still be available with my later picks) but for 2010 and the immediate years after that Storen addresses a team need well. Assorted comments follow:

Drew Storen, rhp Born: Aug. 11, 1987 • B-T: B-R • Ht: 6-2 • Wt: 180

Background: The son of former XM Radio host Mark Patrick, Storen racked up 15 saves in two seasons as Stanford's closer. The Nationals took him with the 10th overall pick in June, compensation for failing to sign 2008 first-rounder Aaron Crow, and signed him for a below-slot $1.6 million bonus as a draft-eligible sophomore. He zoomed to Double-A in his pro debut, then continued to dominate in the Arizona Fall League.

Strengths: Storen's aggressive mentality and power repertoire are perfect for the late innings. He attacks hitters with a 92-94 mph fastball that touches 97, and he complements it with a pair of hard breaking balls. Some evaluators like his slider better, and others prefer his curve, but both have good depth. He also worked on a changeup in the AFL. He pounds the strike zone and doesn't get rattled easily.

Weaknesses: Storen's fastball is rather straight and he can be homer-prone when he leaves it up in the zone. Baserunners tended to get good jumps against him during his debut, so the Nationals worked with him on quickening his times to the plate. He already has cut his time from 1.4 seconds to about 1.25, showing good aptitude for adjustments.

The Future: Storen is on the fast track and figures to reach the majors by 2010, perhaps as soon as Opening Day. He profiles as a closer or setup man, and he could be finishing games for Washington by the end of the season

Baseball America (AF)

Drew Storen, RHP, Stanford

The Good: Storen slowly but surely established himself as the top college reliever in the game, which should mean he ends up getting selected higher than this ranking; he lives off of a 92-94 mph sinker that he throws with effortless command and laser-like precision; he should move quickly through the minors.
The Bad: He's a reliever through and through, and his ceiling might be as a set-up man due to his lack of dominating stuff; he's a draft-eligible sophomore, but wants to sign.
In A Perfect World He Becomes: A good eighth-inning reliever, and in short order.

Baseball Prospectus (KG)

Drew Storen, RHP: The 10th player taken overall after having served as closer at Stanford, Storen is a polished reliever with a fastball in the mid 90-mph range and good secondary stuff to offset it. He wasted no time in getting his pro career started, moving in immediately with his best friend and former Stanford teammate, current Nationals pitching prospect Jack McGeary, in Class A Hagerstown. By season's end, Storen moved through three teams — Hagerstown, Class A Potomac and Double-A Harrisburg, combining for a 1.95 ERA and 11 saves in 37 innings, walking just eight while striking out 49. He followed that up with an 0.66 ERA and four saves in 12 AFL games, striking out 13 while walking three in 13 2/3 innings. A draft-eligible sophomore signee whose dad (Mark Patrick) is a well-respected media veteran, Storen has both the maturity and charisma that will make him a quick fan favorite when he arrives in [Chicago]

washington-nationals.info

Drew Storen, RP, WSN

Comps: 1) Brad Lidge; 2) Max Scherzer; 3) Chad Cordero
Washout = 43%; Star = 9%; Expected Career WAR = 5.9

Diamond Futures

Drew Storen doesn't quite have the heat to be a top-tier closer, but does have an intelligent approach and a very good slider.

Baseball Chronicle
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

2. Max Stassi, C:

Obviously this is a pick for the future as the catcher position is hopefully going to eventually not be a problem for IBC White Sox. After signing the 18 year old Stassi played briefly hitting .280/.345/.360 in 50 AB's (SS/RK). He was the second ranked catcher on my list and I am quite pleased to get him. Assorted comments follow:

Stassi got off to a sizzling start this spring, hitting .593 with nine homers in his first 21 games. For a high schooler, he’s an exceptionally advanced hitter. He attacks the ball, uses the entire field and has above-average bat speed. Defensively, Stassi is solid but not outstanding. Other catchers are superior in catch-and-throw skills, but scouts agree that Stassi should have no difficulty remaining behind the plate. A bothersome shoulder injury restricted him to DH duty for about a month, but he has since returned to catching full time. His smaller, 5-foot-10, 190-pound frame leaves questions about whether he’ll be able to hold up under the grind of catching everyday but, if not, he could move to second base and be a Dustin Pedroia or Craig Biggio-type player.

Baseball America (CG)

Stassi had a prep reputation for having a polished bat, but the A's always have held his glove in high regard. He's an adept, polished receiver with good footwork and an accurate, strong arm.

Baseball America

The Good: With a quick, compact swing, he has an outstanding feel for contact, and a touch of power; he's also a plus-plus defender with tremendous receiving skills.
The Bad: His short, thick build (even for a catcher) bothers some; he had some shoulder problems this year, which limited his throwing ability.
In A Perfect World He Becomes: An above-average everyday catcher, and his glove work should be enough for him to at least be a backup.

Baseball Prospectus (KG)

The loss of a second-round pick was certainly made less painful by the signing of Stassi, one of the premier two-way catching prospects in the Draft. Signed for first-round bonus money at the deadline to keep him from heading to UCLA, a commitment that many thought was engraved in stone enough to let him fall to the fourth round, the third-generation pro catcher whose dad and grandfather played in the Minors and great-uncle was a teammate of Babe Ruth is an all-around player with all the tools on both sides. He has power potential and a live bat and his defensive is outstanding. The A's were also especially impressed with his leadership at instructional league despite his young age. In his brief pro debut he hit .280 in 14 games at short-season Vancouver.

mlb.com (LW)

In Max's case, this is a really impressive 18-year-old kid. We thought that and a lot of teams did as well. We weren't unique there. But based on what I've seen so far, we couldn't be happier that not only did we draft him, but we signed him. We think he could be a really good major league player and that it could happen quicker than most people think for a high school kid. He's really impressive and has been since the first day he put on our uniform. That's what we saw him as is a first round talent. We did and hence why we had to compensate him as he had a full ride to UCLA. I just feel fortunate we were able to get him and able to sign him.

Billy Beane in AthleticsNation.com
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

3. Chris Dominguez, 3B

I really like this pick (perhaps my final draft pick in this year's IBC draft) though I freely admit he might be a complete bust. I read one physical description of him as "Massive frame, every bit of what he’s listed as. Looks very athletic despite his size. Wide shoulders, highly muscled up and down, thin waist. Tapered frame. True physical specimen. Built similar to Troy Glaus." He could end up at 3B, 1B, RF or as a DH in the Cell for the IBC White Sox. He has enormous tools, and you have to start with the raw power. He’s got enough strength to hit 30 homers a year if he improves his approach, though that’s tough, as he struggles with pitch recognition. His arm is also a plus, and I understand he can handle third with it in the long-run, though, as I read a pre-draft scouting report that stated "Plus, plus arm. Threw mid-90’s from the mound in high school. Good throwing mechanics, throws right over the top and makes the throws from the third base with ease. Accurate arm. Likes to show off his arm, can be a bit reckless. If he can maintain some of his mobility, his arm would play perfectly in right field." Dominguez signed quickly, and after a quick .306/.375/.528 run through the AZL in 36 ABs, he finished .254/.298/.442 with 181 ABs at Salem-Keizer in the Northwest League. Various comments follow:

Dominguez is a 6-foot-5, 245-pound monster with 80 raw power and arguably an 80 arm, but he's as likely to strike out 200 times in a season as he is to hit 35 home runs.

An absolutely massive human being, Dominguez was a third-round pick out of Louisville last month based on his 80 raw power, but he didn't go higher because of a tremendous strikeout rate. So far, the power is showing up more than anything else, as between rookie-ball and the Northwest League, Dominguez now has four bombs and 16 RBIs in his first 11 games. We're still a long way from figuring out how much of the swing-and-miss will hinder his development, but so far, so good.

Dominguez was pushed this year, maybe a bit too strongly, as he was overmatched as a 19-year-old in Double-A over the final month of the season. He remains a high-ceiling prospect with above-average raw power and plate discipline, and his defense at the hot corner ranks with anyone in the minors.

Baseball Prospectus (KG)

3B Chris Dominguez (3) has 80 raw power on the 20-80 scouting scale, though making contact is an issue. He won four conference or summer league home run titles while at Louisville, and he set a school record with 25 homers as a junior before launching 11 more in his pro debut.

... Dominguez has jaw-dropping arm strength to match his power, but his range is fringy.

Baseball America (JC)

Chris Dominguez. We’ve all seen him since high school. He’s had periods of time where he struggled and he’s been criticized for things he doesn’t do well, mainly for not making consistent contact. But if you take his stats the last two years at the University of Louisville, he cut down his strikeout rate to a much more manageable thing. He hit more than 20 home runs each year. I don’t think you’d find a better arm in the draft at any position. He can flat throw with anybody who has ever played the game. For a guy who is 6-5, he stole 17 bases so there is some athleticism to go with the arm strength and power. We thought that set him apart from a lot of guys. He’s not a big slug. He’s not a one-dimensional guy. He’s athletic enough to learn to play more than one position. The power is huge, the arm strength is huge and he’s a very, very good athlete. When we watched the way he played the game, talked to his teammates and some of his coaches this year, watched the way the fans reacted to him this year, it was a nice package. We were thrilled he fell to us.

... Everybody said he strikes out too much, but over the last few years, the strikeouts fell drastically. If you eliminate that aspect, you have a guy with a tremendous slugging percentage, a good on-base percentage, hits a lot of home runs and steals a bunch of bases with a cannon for an arm and who is a leader. There’s a lot to like about that player.

[SFG Scouting Director] Doug Mapson in Baseball Beginnings
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I was really considering Dominguez with my pick before you snatched him away. I would've taken him last year had he signed, I've heard a lot about him since I played across the river. I think he'll be boom or bust, either he'll be a middle of the lineup force for some team or be playing for the St. Paul Saints in 3 years
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I was between Dominguez and Cain on my last pick, he should be fun to watch.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

Athletics wrote:I was between Dominguez and Cain on my last pick, he should be fun to watch.
Thanks a lot for that Jake. :D
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

4. Ryan Buch, SP (or will he be a RP?)

Buch was one of two players that I had hoped would drop below the traditional IBC 5 rounds (the other player did not) so I was happy to acquire him in the 6th round. I like Buch either as a mid rotation guy or as a true shutdown reliever. He has demonstrated a plus fastball along with a plus slider. Various comments follow:

... righty Ryan Buch (8th) is a big, raw, power arm

Baseball prospectus (KG)

BEST FASTBALL: RHP Ryan Buch (8) was inconsistent all spring and in the summer after signing, but his fastball touched 97 mph in instructional league in short stints ... BEST SECONDARY PITCH: Buch's curve can also be a plus pitch when he repeats his mechanics.

Baseball America (JM)

RHP Ryan Buch (8) out of Monmouth had the best fastball in the Draft class, one that touched the high 90s, as well as a curveball with plus potential. In 16 games in relief he had a 3.38 ERA and limited hitters to a .183 average at Great Falls.

mlb.com

Ryan Buch out of Monmouth University is as interesting as any Sox pick after the first day. The 6-3 junior from tiny Monmouth College, ranked 90th in the country by Baseball America, fell into the Sox laps into the 8th round.

The righty, who went 7-5 with a 4.31 ERA in 2009 for Monmouth, is expected to sign in rather quick order.

Buch was regarded as one of the better college arms in the draft, and it was thought he could go as high as the second round, but for whatever reason he dropped and the Sox were the beneficiary.

Buch can ultimately profile as a middle of the rotation starter. He features two solid pitches, including a low 90s fastball, a power curve and a straight change. His fastball has been gaining velocity this last year, and has been able to touch the mid 90s. His curve is MLB-caliber, but his location is often spotty. His delivery is very much over the top, and his mechanics are thought to contribute to his command issues.

Ultimately, Buch’s success will depend on his command issues getting straightened out. If he can do that, he should be a guy that can reach the majors, as both his fastball and curveball are regarded highly – when he can find the strike zone.

... I think the Sox got great value with Buch in the 8th round. He’s got the potential to become a mid-rotation starter due to his solid three pitch mix of a low to mid 90’s fastball, excellent curve and improving change. The command of his fastball can be erratic which is what could prevent him from reaching his potential but he’s definitely the prime candidate to be next year’s Dexter Carter or Dan Hudson. I think Buch had value even in the second round so to draft him in the 8th and sign him for slot money looks like a great job by the Sox. Lot’s of projectability here.

FutureSox.com

2010 Breakout Prospect
Ryan Buch, rhp
Buch had an inauspicious professional debut, particularly for a collegian in the Rookie-level Pioneer League, walking a batter per inning and uncorking 5 wild pitches. With Chicago's track record of unearthing forgotten power arms (think Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton), the former Monmouth hurler is worth keeping an eye on. He throws a 92-95 mph fastball and a nasty curveball, and he could take off in a bullpen role.

Prospect Paradise

Return to “Musings from Maine”