Sliver and Black

Dan Vacek's blog

Moderator: Orioles

Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Sliver and Black

Post by Orioles »

I'm almost afraid to open my mouth here, but are the Raiders about to actually play a game that means something for them for the first time in 15 years? Sure they were technically in playoff contention when they went 8-8 under Hue Jackson in 2011, but nobody really had any hope that team would ever win anything given its awful salary cap situation and Jackson's idiotic mid-season deal for Carson Palmer that cost them a future 1st and 2nd (handed the keys after Al Davis passed, he immediately overreacted to starting QB Jason Campbell's season-ending injury and made the Palmer move). So indeed they haven't played a meaningful game as far as restoring the franchise's winning tradition in quite some time.

Today's tilt with the NY Jets could have Wild Card implications. Neither team seems likely to challenge their current division leader, but both have played well enough recently that it's not too early to peek ahead at the playoff picture and where they fit. The stout Jets D will be a good test for the clearly much-improved Raiders QB Derek Carr. Following his rookie season (and going back to his time at Fresno St.) the biggest criticism of Carr was about his performance against the blitz. Through 6 games Carr has completed 60% of his passes against the blitz, compared to just 46% last season. Another criticism of Carr's 2014 season was his accuracy on passes over 20 yards and willingness to throw downfield. His 20 attempts over 20 yards so far in 2015 put him in the middle of the pack in that category, and the handful of his 11 passing TDs so far that came from distance give a good indication of improved accuracy on deep throws.

Latavius Murray doesn't figure to have a huge impact against a stout Jets run defense today, so the game might rest on Carr's arm and the enticing Amari Cooper/ Darelle Revis matchup. My biggest concern would be a bad game by inexperienced Oakland CBs allowing Brandon Marshall to go off, but I'm also hopeful that Khalil Mack, Aldon Smith and an improved Raider pass rush can get to Fitzpatrick.

The Autumn Wind is a Raider.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Today was the first time I've got to see the Raiders. What jumped out to me is how Murray's running style is so similar to Eric Dickerson's
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Can't believe how much the refs wanted the Colts to take out the Broncos...
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Tigers wrote:Can't believe how much the refs wanted the Colts to take out the Broncos...
Make any comment you want as long as someone takes out Ryan Grigson at some point
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

After re-signing Donald Penn today...

"The Raiders now boast an offensive line that stands on average at 6-foot-4 and 319 pounds in left tackle Penn (6-5, 305), guard Osemele (6-5, 333), center Rodney Hudson (6-2, 291), guard Gabe Jackson (6-3, 336) and right tackle Austin Howard (6-foot-7, 333)."

That's a proper Raiders line right there. ZBS is for the Broncos. The Raiders have always been bigger and faster than other teams. Reggie McKenzie has a little more Al Davis in him than he lets on. I mean old-school Al - recognizing undervalued guys with physical gifts who might be coming off injury or playing out of position and dominating the draft while making savvy FA pickups of veterans who know how to win.

I know I'm getting a little too fired up about a team coming off a 7-9 season, but honestly after watching 14 years of embarrassingly bad quarterback play (somehwere near 20 different starting QBs in that span), questionable draft picks, awful trades and 9 different head coaches I don't give a fuck, smokey.

Still need a safety to replace the great Charles Woodson, whose leadership, smarts and general playmaking ability were big factors in helping turn the team around. His 5 picks led the team and he was just always around the ball, making something happen. One of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, imo.

Reggie Nelson from the Bengals would be pretty good, though ideally you'd get a younger guy in there. Wouldn't have minded seeing them bring back former franchise-tag recipient (and UConn Husky) Tyvon Branch but he signed on with the Cardinals. Nate Allen came back for a more team-friendly deal after injury kept him off the field for most of last season, but I'd feel a lot better about the back end of the defense if they picked up a true starting CF to replace #24.

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

BlueJays wrote:After re-signing Donald Penn today...

"The Raiders now boast an offensive line that stands on average at 6-foot-4 and 319 pounds in left tackle Penn (6-5, 305), guard Osemele (6-5, 333), center Rodney Hudson (6-2, 291), guard Gabe Jackson (6-3, 336) and right tackle Austin Howard (6-foot-7, 333)."

That's a proper Raiders line right there. ZBS is for the Broncos. The Raiders have always been bigger and faster than other teams. Reggie McKenzie has a little more Al Davis in him than he lets on. I mean old-school Al - recognizing undervalued guys with physical gifts who might be coming off injury or playing out of position and dominating the draft while making savvy FA pickups of veterans who know how to win.

I know I'm getting a little too fired up about a team coming off a 7-9 season, but honestly after watching 14 years of embarrassingly bad quarterback play (somehwere near 20 different starting QBs in that span), questionable draft picks, awful trades and 9 different head coaches I don't give a fuck, smokey.

Still need a safety to replace the great Charles Woodson, whose leadership, smarts and general playmaking ability were big factors in helping turn the team around. His 5 picks led the team and he was just always around the ball, making something happen. One of the greatest defensive players in NFL history, imo.

Reggie Nelson from the Bengals would be pretty good, though ideally you'd get a younger guy in there. Wouldn't have minded seeing them bring back former franchise-tag recipient (and UConn Husky) Tyvon Branch but he signed on with the Cardinals. Nate Allen came back for a more team-friendly deal after injury kept him off the field for most of last season, but I'd feel a lot better about the back end of the defense if they picked up a true starting CF to replace #24.
At the very least you'll be looking at a softer division next year to compete in.
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Love this little anecdote from an ESPN story on the Raiders taking Bo Jackson in 1987...
You see, Jackson, as the 1985 Heisman Trophy winner out of Auburn, was also the No. 1 draft pick of the 1986 NFL draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But after he turned up his nose at the Buccaneers and chose baseball, the Raiders took a flier on Jackson with a seventh-round pick in the 1987 draft, No. 183 overall, on the same day he went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and a walk for the Royals against the Baltimore Orioles.

Asked by his agent if he had any interest in returning to football, Jackson said it depended upon the team. When he was told it was Al Davis and the Raiders, Jackson smiled.

“Hell yeah,” Jackson said.

Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Interesting tidbit on RAC by the Oakland WR from ESPN today...
The Raiders’ 244 yards after contact by wide receivers is the most by a team halfway through a season since the New England Patriots had 289 yards in 2009. That Patriots receiving corps was led by Randy Moss and Wes Welker.
Also read something that described them as "an out of control bus that's somehow making all the stops." That seems pretty apt given the number of comeback victories and success on the road in the 4th quarter. It's undeniable that Cooper is becoming a star in front of our very eyes and Crabtree has resurrected his career with his incredible hands and ability to come up with catches in tight spots. Seth Roberts has proven a capable slot/ #3 WR. Given their statistical performance to date, the ESPN article asks if maybe the Raiders have the best WR corps in the NFL. They're good. Maybe not THAT good, but very good. However, make no mistake, the guy behind the wheel of this bus is Derek Carr.

I'm now convinced Carr is the next guy we can expect to ascend to "elite QB" status in the NFL. Not only has he continued to improve (seeming to squash any weaknesses as soon as they are identified by the media), but the number of times a game he makes a throw that leaves your jaw on the floor has steadily climbed as the season has gone on. Denver is a very stern test this week. To date the Raiders OL has kept Carr upright, but they haven't yet had to contend with the likes of SB MVP Von Miller. Pulling off a home win against Denver on Sunday Night Football would go a long way towards proving the Raiders are a legit contender. Should be a good one.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

BlueJays wrote:Interesting tidbit on RAC by the Oakland WR from ESPN today...
The Raiders’ 244 yards after contact by wide receivers is the most by a team halfway through a season since the New England Patriots had 289 yards in 2009. That Patriots receiving corps was led by Randy Moss and Wes Welker.
Also read something that described them as "an out of control bus that's somehow making all the stops." That seems pretty apt given the number of comeback victories and success on the road in the 4th quarter. It's undeniable that Cooper is becoming a star in front of our very eyes and Crabtree has resurrected his career with his incredible hands and ability to come up with catches in tight spots. Seth Roberts has proven a capable slot/ #3 WR. Given their statistical performance to date, the ESPN article asks if maybe the Raiders have the best WR corps in the NFL. They're good. Maybe not THAT good, but very good. However, make no mistake, the guy behind the wheel of this bus is Derek Carr.

I'm now convinced Carr is the next guy we can expect to ascend to "elite QB" status in the NFL. Not only has he continued to improve (seeming to squash any weaknesses as soon as they are identified by the media), but the number of times a game he makes a throw that leaves your jaw on the floor has steadily climbed as the season has gone on. Denver is a very stern test this week. To date the Raiders OL has kept Carr upright, but they haven't yet had to contend with the likes of SB MVP Von Miller. Pulling off a home win against Denver on Sunday Night Football would go a long way towards proving the Raiders are a legit contender. Should be a good one.
I have AC/DC in fantasy. Think they'll handle Denver? I'm cautiously optimistic and looking forward to that game. That Oakland offense is exciting.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I have them as well and they're taking care of me thus far. Last week was nuts.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Yea I started off 1-5 and I made some moves to get those 2 (Vikings D and Hunter Henry for Carr, J Matthews and Matt Jones for Amari). Sitting at 3-5 with AJ Green on bye I've got Carr, Gore, Booker, Cooper, E Sanders, and Enunwa (or Ty Mont if he plays). My other QB is Dak and I'm tempted, but how do you bench Carr after that? And he's at home. Gotta roll with DC I think.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Phillies wrote:My other QB is Dak and I'm tempted, but how do you bench Carr after that?
Cleveland Defense versus Broncos Defense.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Angels wrote:
Phillies wrote:My other QB is Dak and I'm tempted, but how do you bench Carr after that?
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

Well that didn't work lol
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Phillies wrote:
Angels wrote:
Denver has been giving up 2 TDs per game, Cleveland has been giving up 4 TDs. More opportunities seem to exist in that Cleveland match up to get the money points.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Predictably, I also have AC/DC on almost all of my fantasy teams. Traded for Cooper in a couple leagues after his value dipped because Crabtree was getting the numbers early in the season.

Honestly, the only reason I'm starting Carr in two leagues this week is because they're both 2QB leagues. In one I have Palmer on bye and have to start Nick Foles alongside Carr. In the other, I briefly considered starting Foles over Carr this week because I'm that afraid of the Denver D. Gonna stick with Carr over Foles though.

Pretty fired up for the first meaningful Raiders primetime game in many years. Broncos @ Raiders in the Sunday-nighter should be an old-school AFC West battle. Last time they got together the Raiders pulled the 17 - 12 upset in at Mile High, and Khalil Mack put in his signature performance to date with an insane 5 sacks in the second half. Doubtful he can repeat a performance like that, but the Silver and Black will need Mack and the defense to create some turnovers and give the offense some short fields to work with. CB Sean Smith's shoulder injury bears watching, as he had just begun to round into the form that earned him $40 mil as a FA sign away from KC. The key will be keeping a quality Denver running attack from making gains on first and second down so that Mack and Bruce Irvin have some 3rd and longs with an opportunity to get into the Denver backfield and eat Trevor Siemian up. Raider D is probably underrated at this point since they were torched early in the season by Atlanta and New Orleans but have shown improvement lately (albeit against some inferior offenses). Von Miller is scary, and Denver has the DBs to give him time to work his way to the QB, however the Raider OL and WR have been playing as well as MVP candidate Carr and I like them in a hard fought lower-scoring affair... Raiders 18 Broncos 13
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

The Denver O line stinks.. I could see Mack going off. The run game is banged up. CJ done for the year probably. Booker has a banged up shoulder. Although I like Bibbs a bit, I'm not sure he's in those 2 player's caliber.

If the Broncos can't get their run game working, and the O line collapses as has been the case - its going to be a tough game for the Donkeys.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

The Anderson injury really screws over an already questionable Broncos Offense. THat said, the Donkeys schedule is heavy on AFC/NFC South, there really isn't a good team left on their schedule outside of NE.
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

So how did that DC over Dak start turn out?

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

ACDC screwed me this week. Mariota on the bench would have gotten me a W.
Phillies

Post by Phillies »

I went with Dak and got steamrolled by Rodgers/Ingram/Julio and company.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Phillies wrote:I went with Dak and got steamrolled by Rodgers/Ingram/Julio and company.
Oooph.. I got steamrolled by Matt Ryan, Mike Evans, Zeke Elliot, & Ajayi.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

And ironically enough I got steamrolled by Latavius Murray, though I was expecting a loss this week with Brady et al on byes and Carlos Hyde hurt.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

"With the victory in Mexico City, the Raiders now hold the No. 1 overall seed in the AFC playoff picture, according to ESPN Stats & Information. They own the tiebreaker over the Patriots based on strength of victory."

The Pats will probably end up with the #1 seed because 3 of the Raiders' last 4 games are against the rugged AFC West, but it's a nice (and unfamiliar) spot to be in after 10 games.

I want the Pats! At Gilette, in the snow! Revenge will be ours!!!!
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Better thank the refs for those fourth quarter spots...

Return to “Orioles”