Marlins 2013 Draft

Dan Vacek's blog

Moderator: Orioles

Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Marlins 2013 Draft

Post by Orioles »

IBC Marlins 2013 Draft

1|25. Ryan McMahon, 3B - The HS two-sport star quarterbacked perennial powerhouse Mater Dei before the Rockies made him a 2nd round pick this past June. Showing a polished approach for his age, McMahon raked in the Rookie-level Pioneer League to the tune of a .321/.402/.583 line. The 19-year old projects to hit for plus power and a high average, and observers point to solid intangibles, on-field leadership ability, and a singular focus on baseball as reasons the former USC commit might move up the ladder quickly and establish himself as a top 3B prospect. His LH power bat and defensive potential at 3B made him the choice at the back of the 1st round. McMahon immediately becomes the IBC Marlins' 3B of the future, and one of my top positional prospects.

2|55. Akeem Bostick, RHP - This athletic 6'4" RHP already touches the mid-90s with his fastball, and scouts saw enough projection left in the South Carolina high-schooler's arm that Texas made him a 2nd round pick in the 2013 draft. With a developing curve and enough raw athleticism to have played college football had he not made clear his dedication to baseball, Bostick is poised to take a big step forward in 2014. I considered taking Chance Sisco here, but had to have Bostick and gambled that Sisco would be around 7 picks later, at the top of round 3.

3|62. Chance Sisco, C - After the Orioles made the California high-schooler the 61st overall pick last June for his smooth lefthanded swing, Sisco performed well in the Rookie-level GCL, posting a .371/.475/.464 line in his pro debut. Despite limited experience behind the dish, scouts point to a strong feel for the game, quality plate discipline and projectable defensive skills as reasons why he might shoot up prospect lists next season. Continuing the trend of selecting highly projectable prep players, my gamble at the end of round 2 paid off when Sisco slipped to the top of round 3 where I was able to snag him with the pick acquired from the Nationals as part of the Wilson Ramos deal. Sisco replaces Andrew Susac, traded in the Ramos deal, as the organization's top catching prospect.

3|85. Carlos Salazar, RHP - A prep arm taken by Atlanta in the 3rd round and signed away from a commitment to Fresno State, his fastball features late life and touches 97. Salazar doesn't have a lot of projection remaining, but already has the build to maintain his velocity. If he refines some of his secondary pitches he has a chance to break out in short-season ball in 2014.

4|115. Cody Reed, LHP - The Royals drafted the JC southpaw 46th overall last June and signed the projectable 6'5" hurler for a cool $1.2 mil. The strong-armed Reed's raw stuff needs refinement, but he already features a good slider that can be nasty at times. Despite mixed results in 30 IP, scouts and managers had enough good things to say about Reed that he made an appearance at #14 in BA's Top 20 Prospects List for the short-season Pioneer League. Reed may have a lot to prove in 2014, but also has the stuff and athleticism to rise up prospect rankings if he shows improvement. I was hoping Yeyson Yrizarri or Tucker Neuhaus was available at this pick so I could add a middle infielder to my draft class, but happy enough Reed (who I considered with my 3rd round pick) was still around for me to take here.

Draft Analysis: Overall, I'm happy with a 2013 draft haul that included 3 projectable arms and 2 high-ceiling positional prospects. As usual, I borrowed a page from the Al Davis school of drafting for upside, and opted for higher-risk toolsy prep players over older, safer college players with less projection remaining. McMahon was a bit of a risk in the 1st round with more highly-regarded players who were drafted earlier last June like Chris Anderson, Billy McKinney, Christian Arroyo and Eric Jagielo still on the board. Nick Ciuffo was also considered at #25. However, McMahon's performance in his debut, along with his defensive profile at 3B and descriptions of his bat as potentially "special" made him too enticing to pass on. I fell in love with Bostick's tools in round 2, and opted for the highly projectable righty at pick #55 over Sisco, Rafael Devers, Gleyber Torres, and Ricardo Sanchez. My gamble that one of those 4 would slip to the top of round 3 paid off when Chance Sisco was there for the taking at pick #62. I was all set to take Dustin Peterson at #85 when the Cardinals snapped him up right before my pick and ended up going with high-schooler Carlos Salazar over JaCoby Jones and Ryan Eades. My choice at the end of the 4th round turned out to be easy as almost all of the names on my list came off the board in the picks leading up to mine (Yeyson Yrizarri, Dillon Overton, Tucker Neuhaus, Chance Johnson and Trevor Williams) except Reed, who I had briefly considered a round earlier.
Last edited by Orioles on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Updated

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)

Return to “Orioles”