How to be Dave...BA Chat

Shawn Walsh's blog

Moderator: Dodgers

Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

if your not into it from the beginning its tough to get into. The problem i see with people who dont like it is more the fact that they dont know all the rules. Buts its also by far the toughest sport to play.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

My theory is that you have to play hockey to appreciate what a cool sport it is. Or at the least you have to go to an NHL game and have really good seats. Hockey just doesn't translate from a distance.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Tigers wrote:My theory is that you have to play hockey to appreciate what a cool sport it is. Or at the least you have to go to an NHL game and have really good seats. Hockey just doesn't translate from a distance.
Absolutely. If you're not in the game, or close to the action, you can't appreciate the speed it's played at and the force with which they hit each other as a result. Playing also gives you a better appreciation for how well-conditioned you have to be to even get through one shift and keep your legs under you, let alone handle the puck and lay hats on your opponents.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

D1 college hockey is pretty good too, and it's super cheap.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Hockey... Canada's answer to soccer.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I was a monster Whaler fan too - Paul Holmgren's son Wes was one of my brother's best friends, Tommy Rowe's son Jason was one of my best friends, I dated Kevin McCarthy's daughter for a little while, and Mike Liut lived on my street.

Once the Whale left, I was done with hockey...except for Ovechkin's goal two years ago, that was filthy...
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Royals wrote:I was a monster Whaler fan too - Paul Holmgren's son Wes was one of my brother's best friends, Tommy Rowe's son Jason was one of my best friends, I dated Kevin McCarthy's daughter for a little while, and Mike Liut lived on my street.

Once the Whale left, I was done with hockey...except for Ovechkin's goal two years ago, that was filthy...
See, that was one of the great things about the Whalers. They had that kind of a Charlestown Chiefs small-town pro team thing going where everyone seemed to have some connection like that to the team. Kevin Dineen (BOW DOWN) lived nearby in my town, and my buddy's Dad was in hockey ops before Richard Gordon canned him. Mayor Mike (the mayor of Hartford and an former fireman) could be seen in the concourse getting progressively more wasted between each period. The players used to go drink at "the Russian Lady," which was kind of a local dive, after games. Can't imagine that's the case in places like Nashville or Atlanta these days.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

hockey is fucking awesome. go flyers.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Hockey is great. Go Avs!

I used to go to Colorado Rockies(the hockey team) as a baby kid..
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."

Return to “Dodger Dreams”