OOPSS Overhaul Part I - Site Navigation Bar

Shawn Walsh's blog

Moderator: Dodgers

Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

OOPSS Overhaul Part I - Site Navigation Bar

Post by Dodgers »

So I've got some pretty major changes in mind for OOPSS before the start of the season. I'm just working on them locally right now, but eventually I may open it up to a beta site (like ESPN is doing right now) for league-wide testing purposes.

However, seeing as they are going to be pretty major changes I wanted to get a series going detailing the changes, giving you guys some information as I work on the pages, so that I don't forget to tell you about the changes later on.

With that said, the first part of this will cover a few site wide changes.

The first thing to notice is the new navigation bar at the top of the window. This bar will stay in the same position at all times on all pages, floating over the content as you scroll (Idea taken from the New York Times website).

All of the OOPSS navigation links which used to be in the left column on most pages have been moved here (and removed from their previous positions), as well as the number of unread topics. Additionally, some of the terminology has been refined and some of the functionality combined (more details on this in future posts).

Future expansions of this bar may include additional scrolling information (recent games, unread PMs, etc). Ultimately, I would love to get gmail chat going just like you were at gmail, but as of yet I haven't figured out a way to do that.

On the Portal page, I have removed the most recent announcements from below the accordion. For how many times they were read, it did not make sense to display them on every single hit of the portal page. Of course, these could make a comeback if there were enough requests for it. If there were, I think they would become part of the accordion.

One item of note is that the "Player Search" link has been removed completely. This page is still accessible, however it is through the Search box on the top right, which by default will now open up to Player Search when the player loads, as opposed to how it opens up closed now.

As always, feedback is welcomed and I'd love to hear from you guys on what you like / don't like.
Last edited by Dodgers on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

can i pick up austin jackson since it says you released him?
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Nah, those transactions are for testing purposes from other new functionality.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

yes i know, it was a joke...
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Looks good. Is there a way to get the scroll bar to include two tabs, like one for your team and one for others, or is that going to permanently be a function of the memberlist?
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

If you're talking about getting to different teams' rosters/profiles, there will be a couple ways still. You can go through the memberlist way, on your team page there will be a dropdown to help you quickly navigate to other teams and on any page you can change the player search to team search (just as you can do right now). Hope that is what you were asking about.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

That looks awesome. Totally take for granted that the site just keeps getting better as we go along. That overhaul would appear to solve the *ahem* TOTALLY FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE issue w/ the "jump to:" dropdown on manager profiles. The error tells me "Sorry, but that user does not exist." But they do exist, Shawn. You and I both know they exist. WORK HARDER. haha. great new features, as always. That draft widget is pretty dope.

Seriously, Shawn is improving our absurdly nice, full-effing-service league home site at such a rate that I think he has outpaced the technology my computer can handle, b/c that screenshot is just, um, not what it looks like on mine. Don't get me wrong, I need a new computer. In fact, my jerry-rigged piece of shit has gotta be bottom-5 in the IBC. Is that some kind of award I can win (cash)? "Tandy-Bob" or something?

Everyone in the league owes Shawn at least one of each of their 5 favorite beers, or a whole bunch of his favorite (inexpensive domestic american) beer. I mean, somebody should have to do his spanish homework for a week or something.

Somebody trade Shawn a LH #3 SP for nothing! I mean, trade me a LH #3 SP for nothing and also be nice to Shawn too for all the hard work.

in sum, thanks shawn for the work, site is dope. now give me Ted Lilly for 5 keystone lights.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Marlins wrote:I need a new computer. In fact, my jerry-rigged piece of shit has gotta be bottom-5 in the IBC. Is that some kind of award I can win (cash)? "Tandy-Bob" or something?

When Im not using the ex-girlfriends laptop(meaning almost never) Im using Windows ME on a 9 year old Compaq. Fuck my life.

Oh, and nice work as always Shawn.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Marlins wrote:That looks awesome. Totally take for granted that the site just keeps getting better as we go along. That overhaul would appear to solve the *ahem* TOTALLY FUCKING UNACCEPTABLE issue w/ the "jump to:" dropdown on manager profiles. The error tells me "Sorry, but that user does not exist." But they do exist, Shawn. You and I both know they exist. WORK HARDER. haha. great new features, as always. That draft widget is pretty dope.
Problem fixed!!!
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Man alive, that is one handy little dropdown list. My front office has been operating at a goddamn crawl for years, having to type in another team's whole entire nickname and then press a button, even having to (shudder) generate our own .txt player list, or just only trade with the teams that updated their websites every few months. Today, Walsh fired all those lazy drunks and hired a new, faster, better and smarter lazy drunk to run my squad (metaphorically speaking). Thanks for the fix.

All this new efficiency and I feel an insane hurricane of traderation coming on in South Florida.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)

Return to “Dodger Dreams”