Red Sox boycotting games

Shawn Walsh's blog

Moderator: Dodgers

Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Red Sox boycotting games

Post by Dodgers »

The Boston Red Sox are threatening to boycott their season-opening games in Japan unless their coaches and other staff are paid for making the trip.

The players are getting $40k each and the coaches and staff are getting nothing. Bravo to the players for refusing to play their final spring training game and the games in Japan over this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

does it mention that the players are willing to take less money to give the coaches a share?

I'm surprised the coaches were never able to get a union presence like the MLBPA. It seems coaches are so interchangeable that they're just happy to have a job, benefits & a pension.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

The coaches were promised a share in the original negotiation and then MLB backed out of the promise. I haven't seen anything about the players offering to take less money. They shouldn't have to, MLB made a deal, they damn well better keep it. Especially considering the ridiculous amount of money MLB makes.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Forget the amount of money the MLB makes. With the amount of money the NFL makes they could get away with murder with the shit they get away with.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Coaches and staff will be compensated

Post by Padres »

FORT MYERS, Fla. - Here's what we know about the deal to compensate players.

A major league source said moments ago that all staff associated with the trip will be compensated. Not sure whether it's $40,000 or even more because the receipts from the trip will be split at the end.

According to the source, in the past, the coaches' compensation has come from the players' portion of the pool. This time around the coaches were eliminated from that pool. Did someone not tell the players? That'll be the interesting question to Sox player reps after the game.

The source said that coaches, and managers as well as the training staff will all be compensated and the final amount is expected to exceed $40,000 per man.

The major league source was miffed that they are being portrayed as the ones who backed out of an agreement.

Efforts to reach the Players Association have been unsuccessful.

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff March 19, 2008 01:36 PM
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

RedSox wrote:The coaches were promised a share in the original negotiation and then MLB backed out of the promise. I haven't seen anything about the players offering to take less money. They shouldn't have to, MLB made a deal, they damn well better keep it. Especially considering the ridiculous amount of money MLB makes.
Source? I'd like to know what MLB's original deal is, because I've heard different stories from different outlets.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC

Return to “Dodger Dreams”