There's no ducking the numbers: MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Re: There's no ducking the numbers: MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

Post by Yankees »

Baseball also has the worst, most reactive sales teams in all of sports...and blame that on everything but said bad sales teams.

Baseball has a lot of problems, but it's completely ignoring the easiest way to increase attendance...sell more tickets.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Re: There's no ducking the numbers: MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

Post by Rockies »

I dunno, the article reeks to me of "get off my lawn" - the game is changing. Like it always has and always does, and it will continue to do so.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Rockies wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am I dunno, the article reeks to me of "get off my lawn" - the game is changing. Like it always has and always does, and it will continue to do so.
There's maybe some of that, but I read it mostly through the lens of the game is less interesting to potential fans and NEEDS to change. It is true that strikeouts used to be embarrassing. Now, no one seems to care. In fact, some analyses show that striking out is better than other scenarios. Maybe pitching is better now, but it doesn't seem like it. I love baseball and did when guys hit 60 HR a year and now when guys strike out 200 times a year, but football and basketball are flashier and more exciting to kids. Baseball is old and boring. The sport needs to figure out how to better market its stars and make the game more exciting. Then, Z can teach people how to sell more tickets.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote, but it has more to do with marketing than changing the game.

I'm tired of ideas to "shorten the game to 7 innings", adding pitching clocks. The shit they're doing in the minors starting a guy on 2b in extra innings.. blasphemy. Stop tinkering with shit like this. None of that is going to "fix" the game IMO.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Mattingly was right. The death of batting average killed the league. When even the worst players had to maintain a certain level of contact it kept things moving. More action per AB. Honestly, I think it's cyclical, and because of its rarity the ability to make contact is already at a premium. I hope they don't do anything stupid before it corrects a little.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Don't tinker. Just look at NASCAR. Constantly tinkering, and it only makes things worse.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."

Return to “IBC Forum”