20-year anniversary

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

20-year anniversary

Post by Guardians »

It occurred to me recently that the IBC is only a few years away from being able to legally drink. In 2022, the league turns 20, which is equally amazing and depressing for our collective hairlines. Some of us have been here from the beginning and some are newer additions, but we all share a common love for baseball and unpredictable computer programs. I suggest we start considering discussions about a large get together, baseball themed, maybe over a long weekend. If we don't start now, it won't happen. Budgets won't get planned, husbands won't bank enough credits with wives and it will fall apart. I know we're talking about money and travel while in a pandemic. I'm hopeful that by 2022, we will see progress in the economy, the virus and in live sports.

All that said, I think the best options would be:

The Beltway (Nats/O's)
Bay area(SD/Oak)
SoCal (LAA/LAD)
Chicago (Cubs/White Sox)
NY (Mets/Evil Empire)

I would love to focus on park experience and team quality, but I think convenience and cost may end up ruling. We are spread around the country, but do have some clusters of members that may make these options more or less palatable.

But for now, I'd like to just toss out the concept and see if there's interest and we can go from there.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Re: 20-year anniversary

Post by Astros »

I think that's a great idea. I would also say Houston or Dallas should be under consideration as well. Voting strictly on the options presented I vote the beltway, but I'd include Philly in that as well. Me, JP and Nick did Philly/Baltimore a few years ago one weekend
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Selfishly I'll second Aaron's suggestion of adding Dallas to the list and put my vote for it for a couple of reasons

1. DFW Airport is a huge hub, there are direct flights from pretty much anywhere and no one would have to do a cross country flight
2. Obviously this may change with the pandemic but there is a huge AirBNB supply for Cowboys games which means that accomodations near Globe Life Field are comicly cheap outside of football season. I dig the idea of an IBC party mansion (which we can all acknowledge would have been more fun 15 years ago but still).
3. Houston sucks

If I had to stick with the existing list I'd propose we think about doing the whole ACELA corridor

Washington or Baltimore -> New York (strong preference for Citi, New Yankee Stadium sucks) -> Fenway

One other fun (and budget conscious) option is the Arizona Fall League if it still exists. Again, massive oversupply of lodging outside of Spring Training, the chance to see all the top prospects in a crowd of less than 500 is incredible, and there are two games a day so we could definitely get the most baseball in.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Where ever it is, I just hope both Stephen AND Pat G are there...
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Marlins wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:19 pm Where ever it is, I just hope both Stephen AND tilted little bitch are there...
Fixed it for you
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

I am DOWN
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Give me enough time, I have enough connections to get us to games pretty much anywhere...I've got a good buddy at the Rangers.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Padres wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:02 amI've got a good buddy at the Rangers.
Good enough to get us into the World Series? I've been working on that because I think it would be fascinating to be at this year's WS in some fashion or another
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Count me in, sounds like a great idea.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

To me, Chicago makes the most sense.

Walk with me on this one...

Get in on Thursday, hit up a Sox game (free, I know their leadership).

Head to Iowa on Friday and hit up Field of Dreams. Then drink way too much beer at a local bar.

Get back to Chicago and hit up Wrigleyville for a game. Fly out Sunday.

Chicago is a hub, flight's cheap. We all partner up on rooms, that's cheap. I can get us AT LEAST White Sox for free (probably Cubs). And we knock a bucket list off for most of us (Field of Dreams).

Just need to look for a set of games that hits in decent weather that includes each team at home from a Thursday end of series, through a weekend series.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Would that be a charter bus rental for Friday and Saturday trip to and from Iowa?
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Beltway would be closest to me, but I don't oppose the Dallas idea, and it comes with minimal chance of weather screwing up plans for us as well.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Padres wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:09 am To me, Chicago makes the most sense.

Walk with me on this one...

Get in on Thursday, hit up a Sox game (free, I know their leadership).

Head to Iowa on Friday and hit up Field of Dreams. Then drink way too much beer at a local bar.

Get back to Chicago and hit up Wrigleyville for a game. Fly out Sunday.

Chicago is a hub, flight's cheap. We all partner up on rooms, that's cheap. I can get us AT LEAST White Sox for free (probably Cubs). And we knock a bucket list off for most of us (Field of Dreams).

Just need to look for a set of games that hits in decent weather that includes each team at home from a Thursday end of series, through a weekend series.
I like this a lot.
WhiteSox
Name: Aaron Dorman

Post by WhiteSox »

To me, Las Vegas makes the most sense.

Walk with me on this one... no MLB teams, but...

Vegas baby!
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Party Bus from Chicago to Field of Dreams?

Arizona Fall League sounds dope.

Vegas, family there so I'm down.

Whatever works for everyone, I'll do my best to make it happen.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I figured JB would suggest Vegas. I purposely didn't because I would prefer a baseball trip. I like the Chicago idea. I looked up the Field of Dreams site. It looks like you can take a tour of the farm and walk or rent the field and it's a 3+ hour drive. If we went with the Chicago idea, I would prefer a 90-minute drive to Milwaukee and hit up a Brewers game instead.

Return to “IBC Forum”