IBC/COVID-19 Options

The place to come to talk about all things IBC related. Or not IBC related. Just keep it reasonably respectful.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

IBC/COVID-19 Options

Post by Cardinals »

First and foremost, we will have an IBC season this year, so long as DMB produces a disc. I don't see why they wouldn't, since Dan has already put in the time to create the projections. He's also hinted at playing the season on Twitch to pass the time, so I'm sure it's coming.

Nothing has been decided (or even discussed within ExCo), but we'll have a few options on how we want to handle this as a sim baseball league, and it partially depends what schedule DMB gives us.

If DMB gives us the full, 162 game schedule as was intended, then we can start that as we normally would. The biggest question is going to be how do we handle the IL -- and that's already been answered in our rules. In the event of a work stoppage to start a season, all players are considered healthy. (For what it's worth, if a work stoppage occurred midyear, all players who are injured are to remain injured.)

If DMB gives us a modified 162 game schedule as is newly scheduled (if MLB decides to play 162), we can choose to start when MLB starts and follow the IL more closely, or we can start as soon as we can and adhere to the previous work stoppage, IL rules, where everybody is healthy until MLB starts its season.

If DMB gives us a new, reduced schedule (144, 130 games, or whatever it may be), then we can either choose to play that, and start it with MLB or whenever we receive, or we can create our own 162 game schedule and play off of that until MLB starts, and then adhere to the MLB IL.

I'll leave this up for discussion without offering my opinion yet.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Re: IBC/COVID-19 Options

Post by Cardinals »

If we choose to mirror MLB, we can also do some sort of spring training-like, winter league tournament or something as well.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

162 games! Need box scores to get me through this.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I'm with Nils...but maybe turn on the SIM injury thing. I think that's a thing. Just a thought. But I'm going to be home with kids for a LONG time...so let's get nuts.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

My vote would be to play the originally scheduled season with SIM injuries. However, we should probably wait to make the decision till the disk comes out. If they start play by the end of April, it may be worthwhile to play the MLB altered schedule. (My personal opinion after reading a lot about this virus and the means needed to contain it is that they won't even come back until at least mid-May, which might allow the season to start around the beginning of June.)
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

162, no injuries
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Yeah, to add to my initial post, I vote stick with existing rules, no injuries.
Reds

Post by Reds »

We should figure out a way to include the actual injuries.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I would prefer to wait to see what MLB does before we go to random injuries.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Tigers wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 am I would prefer to wait to see what MLB does before we go to random injuries.
I agree with Pat.

If we would like to relieve our "boredom", we have the DMB Season disk we could start a season right now, with a series a day. If Dave is correct and the real season does not start for awhile, we could get a full DMB season in before the real game is back.

A bunch of us have done Sweaty Balls (BCMBL) tourneys, so this is not new. We just need a person to run the season, who is not JP, as he has plenty work already.
Mariners

Post by Mariners »

Athletics wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am
Tigers wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 am I would prefer to wait to see what MLB does before we go to random injuries.
I agree with Pat.

If we would like to relieve our "boredom", we have the DMB Season disk we could start a season right now, with a series a day. If Dave is correct and the real season does not start for awhile, we could get a full DMB season in before the real game is back.

A bunch of us have done Sweaty Balls (BCMBL) tourneys, so this is not new. We just need a person to run the season, who is not JP, as he has plenty work already.
If the league does want to do this, I would volunteer to take care of the waiver process, which teams use to field 25 players. As I only have 19 players who played in the Majors last year, I will need to 'claim/sign' 6 players.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Hasn’t DMB historically sent out the disk fairly late in any case? I think there’s a pretty good chance that the thing won’t come out until mid-late April in any case and by then we’ll have a much better idea of what the right answer will be, so I’m generally in favor of tabling the discussion until then. If we’re interested in relieving the boredom with the current season disk why not do a tournament in which all who want to participate can live draft a team for it? First of all that would be super fun (I bet we’d get around 10-12 guys who were really engaged), secondly for those of us who are going to be bottom tier this year I’m not interested in doing anything short term with my current roster and definitely not interested in cutting prospects to field a legal roster for such a tournament (maybe I’m a step too far in reading into Jags post about waivers on that).
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Disc has been coming out in the 4/15 - 4/22 range the past couple of years I believe. Don't think this season will be any different.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Marlins

Post by Marlins »

Also worth noting, there are already some guys on 60 day IL around the league, so if we start early there wouldn't be a complete lack of IL.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Something I'm doing to alleviate my boredom, this morning I started a 64 team tournament on whatifsports.com. What if we each nominate two teams from our franchise (real life, not IBC) to compete in a march madness style tournament and post the results here every day. First round could be 3 game series, round of 32 could be 5 games, everything after could be 7. It wouldn't be perfect but it could occupy us for a few weeks. The 95 Rockies beat the 74 A's in mine this morning, madness in March ain't just for basketball
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

I'm concerned about the health of my simulated fan base and believe we should follow the CDC guidance.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Something is better than nothing. So I would be on board with Sim or WhatIf

As for schedule, I lean 162, even if injuries aren't properly being taken into account because almost all players would be healthy for two months.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Most stuff I've read suggests Memorial Day (5/27) as a best case for the start of the season, which of course means Spring Training 2.0 in April? That almost definitely means a 100-game season or something similar.
I'm less concerned about our schedule mirroring MLB's and more on how we treat injuries in our season. I almost lean no injuries other than guys who are out for the year vs. random sim injuries. It would be fun to see who wins if no key players are lost (other than the ones we know had tj, etc). But I don't know how we'd handle guys who are hurt but with an unknown timetable (thinking a guy like Sale).
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

We're going to have the defensive spreadsheet available tomorrow, so the disc should follow in the coming weeks.

We're going to play 162 games. Our rules state for that to happen and there's no reason for us to depress ourselves further and take away the IBC season. I don't see much point in that. Similarly, I think trying to mirror MLB is a fool's errand too since we don't even know if we'll have a season.

Right now, I think the fairest solution is for ExCo to identify and agree on players that are deemed out for the entirety of the year, and those players are out. Everybody else is in. Guys like Chris Sale, Luis Severino, Noah Syndergaard would be out - there's no chance they're playing this year. Guys like Aaron Judge and Justin Verlander would be in, as they're expected to play this season but we don't really know when.

If and when MLB returns, we'd then adhere to its IL rules again.

We also would have no need to sim 3 games at a time to catchup, as there is nothing to catchup to. Our season can just run a bit longer this season, it doesn't affect anything in that regard as there's no IL to catch up to.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

That's a fair decision.

The whole point of DMB is to take a break from reality, regardless of how much I like to complain about projection inaccuracies.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Reds

Post by Reds »

Good decision 👍
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Disc should come out early this week.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

The disc is available for purchase.

I'll try to turn around a database tonight while we finalize the season DL plans.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mariners

Post by Mariners »

How COVID-19 is impacting MLB: Tracking teams with positive cases and players who have opted out.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/how- ... opted-out/

Return to “IBC Forum”