3. Christian Bethancourt
4. Jurickson Profar
5. Nolan Arenado
6. Wilmer Font
7. Kelvin de la Cruz
8. Esmil Rogers
9. Tyson Gillies
10. Eduardo Sanchez

HM: Wilking Rodriguez, Jose Vinicio, Garrett Gould, Michael Pineda, Carlos Perez

Colome's five star rating by Kevin Goldstein (and White's four star as well, I guess) bolsters what is the weakest top end of this system since I took over in 2005. It is packed with A-ball SPs (10 of 12 SP) and high upside, high downside position players who haven't played full season ball yet (9 of 11 position players). It is also packed, as usual, with international players (19 of 27). The average age is 20.5, and that includes three middle relief "prospects" in their mid-20s and 26 year old Ryan Rohlinger.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Small update, had to bump Profar up one more notch upon hearing where KG is going to rank him next week and hearing some of his comments.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Goldstein sure loves his unproven Latin guys doesn't he? He's like Chad Ford with European teenagers. I've always wondered, does Goldstein do any scouting himself?
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

5. Jurickson Profar, SS

DOB: 02/20/93
Height/Weight: 6-0/175
Bats/Throws: S/R
Drafted/Signed: Curacao, 2009
2009 Stats: Did not play
Last Year’s Ranking: Did not qualify

Year in Review: Seen by most as a pitcher instead of a shortstop, Profar wanted to be a position player and signed with the Rangers, which he followed up with the most talked about showing in the Arizona instructional leagues.

The Good: Rangers officials are convinced that Profar has the ability to turn into the system's top prospect, and one of the best in the game. He's a switch-hitter with easy raw power, as well as a plus fielder with impressive speed, giving him range to both sides to go with smooth actions and an outstanding arm. His baseball instincts, effort, and take-charge attitude earned glowing reports from scouts, with one saying, "If you put him in a room with other players who have off-the-charts makeup, Profar is off that chart." Even his plate discipline is beyond his years, as over 91 at-bats in a secondary Dominican League this summer, he drew a whopping 26 walks while striking out just eight times.

The Bad: More than anything, Profar just needs playing time. Like many young players, he can get sloppy on defense, leading to silly errors. Some who preferred him on the mound question his pure hitting skills.

Ephemera: Batting fifth in the 2004 Little League World Series title game, Profar went 2-for-3 with a double and a home run, won 5-2 by Profar's Curacao team.

Perfect World Projection: Elvis Andrus with secondary skills.

Path to the Big Leagues: He has yet to play an official game yet.

Timetable: The Rangers are tempted to make Profar the youngest player in the Sally Legaue, but they're not sure it's the best for his development. His showing this spring will dictate if he goes to Hickory, or makes his pro debut in a short-season league.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Since I've basically turned this into a Jurckson Profar post, here is an interesting exchange between Jason Parks and Goldstein:

Q: What are you hearing about Jurick Profar that prompted such an aggressive ranking?

Goldstein: I started to get the sense that something special was going on with Profar when a non-Rangers scout actually called me from the ballpark during the Fall Instructional League to ask me everything I knew about this kid. It’s always a good sign when a scout is excited enough to actually call you from the ballpark. You know you are on to something when that happens. Then I talked to a couple other scouts outside of the Rangers’ camp and they had the exact same stuff to say. From talking to Rangers’ officials, who, I must say, will always be pretty straight up with me and who will tell me when a prospect is playing well and when a prospect isn’t doing what they want him to do, I get reports of them really going crazy for the guy. So between their evaluations and the fact that I can get non-Rangers, outside the division scouts backing up these statements, I felt comfortable putting him that high.

Q: What do you expect from Profar in 2010?

Goldstein: It’s funny, because right now even the Rangers aren’t even sure what to do with him. They are tempted to start him in Hickory, but they aren’t completely sold on the idea. I think they are still deciding whether throwing him to the wolves in the Sally league is a good idea or not. I wouldn’t expect crazy things from Profar in 2010, but I think he can hold his own and I think that’s the key. You hear all this stuff about his make-up and his maturity, but his game is what is really mature. Even if they short-season him, it would probably be in Spokane rather than a complex league.

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”