Danny Farquhar

Brett Perryman's blog

Moderator: Rangers

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Danny Farquhar

Post by Rangers »

I wasn't sure if I was going to make a fifth round pick, but as Ross Seaton, Scott Barnes, Stephen Fife and Danny Farquhar slid I decided to. Farquhar was the only one left at my pick, but I don't know how his profile in the NYP top 20 couldn't sell someone:
After dominating in a swing role for two years at Louisiana-Lafayette, Farquhar struggled as the staff ace and lost velocity in 2008. The Blue Jays took a shot on him with a 10th-round pick and signed him for $112,500, then watched him thrive back in the bullpen.

Farquhar stands out with his ability to throw hard from various arm angles. He can sit at 93 mph from a high three-quarters slot, then drop down below sidearm and throw an 89-90 mph fastball with incredible life.

"He's a filthy, filthy, filthy young man," an NL scout said. "He was scary good. I don't know what he's going to be, but any manager in the country would love to have that guy. I've never seen anyone throw that hard from that low. You can't throw hard from down there–it's impossible. But he's not just a raw arm speed guy. He's got pitchability."

Farquhar maintains fine command and throws a quality breaking ball from both slots. He throws an average power curveball from the higher angle, and drops down to serve up a sweeping 78-82 mph slider that eats up righthanders.

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”