Brett Perryman's blog

Moderator: Rangers

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

The Notorious Ryan Chaffee

Post by Rangers »

BA:
Chaffee attacks hitters from multiple arm slots, creating three different breaking balls. He pitches in the low 90s and throws a plus changeup. When healthy and commanding all his pitches, Chaffee is dominant.
Stephen Smith:
People whose opinion I trust in the Angels organization rave about Smith and Chaffee...One person told me he thought Chaffee's upside might be higher than Adenhart's.
I've been writing these top prospect reports since November 2001. Ryan Chaffee becomes the first player I've ever included on this list without his playing a single inning for the Angels. The reason is that the early reports in the organization about Chaffee are so glowing, I wanted you to know about this special player. A year from now, he might just be the top prospect on the 2009 list.

Kotchman describes Chaffee as a cross between John Lackey, “El Duque” Orlando Hernandez, and Mark Fidrych. Ryan throws from three arm slots – three-quarters, sidearm and even submarine. His fastball velocity is high 80s to mid 90s with late movement. He also features an above average curve and slider; the curve is harder than the slider, which is rare. Ryan will throw the curve from all three slots.

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”