Rangers Draft History

Brett Perryman's blog

Moderator: Rangers

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Rangers Draft History

Post by Rangers »

(I had pick 1.1 in '05 and dealt it (Justin Upton) on the eve of the draft to NYY with Austin Kearns and Collin Balester for Hanley Ramirez and Casey Kotchman.)

1.06 - Troy Tulowitzki - This pick was obtained via a trade of John Danks to KC for 1.10, then 1.10 and Javier Herrera to NYY for 1.06. Tulo was spun for Stephen Drew who was spun for Jose Reyes who was spun for Yu Darvish.

1.11 - Andrew McCutchen - This pick was obtained from CWS in exchange for Edinson Volquez. McCutchen has since been dealt to obtain disappointment Chris (CF) Young.

1.16 - Brandon Snyder - As the draft approached pick 16, Jay Bruce and Ryan Braun were on the board with two picks left to go, and I was certain one would fall. Whoops. Snyder's injury started a disappointing series of seasons that ended in his release from Detroit.

1.18 - Travis Wood - On the board at 18 and picked before the end of round one: Matt Garza, Colby Rasmus, Yunel Escobar, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jed Lowrie. As of 2009 this pick looked pretty terrible, but Wood has really revived things, and now he's back with us. (2012 update: traded in deal for Yu Darvish, 2013 update: obtained back for Chase Utley)

2.18 - Tommy Mendoza - Was rocked by run of players I was high on just before the pick (Clay Buchholz, Craig Italiano, Will Inman, Donald Veal), also passed over Brandon Erbe, Michael Bowden and Micah Owings. I regretted the pick almost immediately, as Mendoza and Erbe were my two top targets at this point, and for some reason I thought that Erbe had a better chance to make it to me at 2.29. Mendoza eventually joined Wood and Snyder on the cut line, after all three sustained serious injuries.

2.29 - Kevin Whelan - Traded to NYY, can't find the return.

5.4 - Justin Maxwell - Has at least made the majors...though not while with the IBC Tigers.

6.1 - Vince Mazzaro - Back with the team, most likely the best pitcher I picked this year.

7.1 - Chris Getz - Looks like a major leaguer, another cut.

8.1 - Josh Wall - Didn't last long.

This should grade out as a good draft, however I didn't hang onto any of these guys long enough. HanRam adds significantly to the value.

1.1 - Daisuke Matsuzaka - Dealt immediately to NYY for Philip Hughes and Carlos Gomez.

2.1 - Chris Marrero - Not a bad pick, and, looking back, there really isn't anyone in the first half of the second round that I would covet. Dealt to PIT.

3.1 - Max Sapp - Along with passing on Erbe in 2005, this is the pick about which I had the most immediate regret, as I miscalculated the market for the international players and wished that I'd picked Carlos Triunfel. My worst fears haven't been born out, since Triunfel will not be a SS and isn't the phenom I immediately feared he would be. On the other hand, Sapp is terrible, and Triunfel is still a prospect. Cut.

4.1 - Chris Huseby - Betting on a big bonus and a successful comeback from TJ but wound up as another cut. Did some good things in relief in 2009.

5.1 - Matt Latos - Gamble paid off, as Latos was signed just before the '07 draft. Dealt to PIT. Probably my best value pick to date.

Should get three major leaguers out of this draft, but it's all about Latos.

1.3 - Matt Wieters - Pick was obtained for a package of prospects. Very good prospect, anxious to see how he does in the majors.

4.10 - Sam Demel - Dealt to PIT.

5.10 - Tommy Hunter - Pretty good pick, reached the majors in 2007 and looked very solid in the Texas rotation in 2009. Unfortunately cut in a roster crunch after a trade.

Really missed out by dealing the 2nd and 3rd rounder for damaged goods (Curt Schilling), as there were some players that I was high on that were available at those spots. Once again, picked one or two guys late who could be major league contributors, but didn't keep them long enough to find out.

1.18 - Ethan Martin - I thought he looked like the most promising arm available. Stuff was there in pro ball, but needs a good deal of polish.

2.15 - Adys Portillo - Decided to swing for the fences and he looked like the best lottery ticket of the arms available at this point. Will be interested to see how Will Smith, Jake Odorizzi, Craig Kimbrel and Andrew Cashner pan out, as this was a toss-up the night before I picked. Dealt for Pedro Martinez, who contributed to a championship team, so hard to question end result.

3.22 - Ryan Chaffee - Intrigued me with his approach with three different arm angles but good stuff. Didn't have a stellar first season because of a dip in velocity and command.

4.15 - TJ House - Lefty with good stuff wasn't expected to be signable. A fourth straight pick who hadn't thrown a live pitch yet.

5.15 - Danny Farquhar - Similar to Chaffee in that he throws from different angles but still has good overall stuff. Reached AA in his first season but has an issue with walks. Cut.

6.15 - Hector Guevara - Has that vibe of a good, pure Latin bat, only played in the VSL his first year.

7.15 - Aaron King - Some of the best lefty stuff in this draft but no control. Cut.

8.15 - Trey Haley - Good athlete, good arm, very raw. Cut.

First two picks were dealt in deals to obtain Hanley Ramirez and Pedro Martinez. Three remain on the roster, and at this point Guevara might be the most promising. Pretty clearly my worst draft.

(2012 update:) At this point not one of these guys looks like a any kind of major league contributor. Far and away my worst draft.

1.30 - Alex White - I overdrafted White at #30 according to some in the league. I guess Cleveland needs to fire some scouts, and BA should probably fold up operations.

2.18 - Nolan Arenado - Trade-up from the last pick in the round to grab a guy who fits an organizational big picture need, after the trade of its one true 3B, Alex Gordon.

3.01 - Garrett Gould - Pick obtained with Michael Bourn for Hector Rondon and 2.26. I'm relying on Logan White's track record in drafting HS pitchers high in the draft and Gould's potential for three quality pitches and a true out pitch in his curveball. Highly rated, yet unheralded.

3.28 - Jose Vinicio - Highly rated athletic shortstop prospect doesn't get the attention that Jose Iglesias does for obvious reasons, but does have offensive potential and should stick at the position.

3.30 - Jurickson Profar - This was a reach, but I actually considered taking him a round earlier. He is a legit shortstop with big time BP power already, just a question of how much contact he'll make since he hasn't played in a game yet. Was widely regarded as the best talent at the Rangers' fall instructs. Vinicio and Profar are lottery tickets, but I didn't see other shortstops with this kind of talent still left among US players.

4.30 - Wagner Mateo - I was victimized by being out of contact, as well as a run of my queued up draft candidates just before my pick here. Didn't sign and will be eligible for the 2010 draft; cut.

Draft went progressively from more advanced to less advanced. Watch out for Profar.

(2011 Update): In Profar, Arenado and White, we have three high end major league prospects. Doesn't look like Vinicio can hit from the left side, so he's stuck in rookie ball. Gould suffered through a rough first season, but he rebounded big time in 2011. Might surpass 2005 as my best value draft.

1.26 - Garin Cecchini - Held back for NYP and has performed well. Looks like a legitimate prospect.

2.26 - Jedd Gyorko - Promoted to AA in first full season, looking like he could be an everyday caliber guy.

3.26 - Cody Buckel - Advanced HS arm had a nice first season in the SAL. Adds to thin SP prospect inventory.

4.26 - Yoel Araujo - International splurge by the Rays but rough debut in DSL. Longshot to stick on the roster for long.

Since Alex Gordon was dealt for Hanley Ramirez before the 2010 season, a big organizational need has been third basemen, and Cecchini and Gyorko added two possible 3BOTF. Buckel could be a major league arm.

1.19 - Jorge Soler - To be completely honest, Jim Callis' opinion that Soler is somewhere in the 11-20 range was probably the deciding factor. I'm always antsy about drafting someone who may not sign (in time) in the first round, but this organization needs high end outfielders more than anything else. Going into the draft I hoped/expected to pick Blake Swihart here but couldn't resist the intrigue. Also gave serious thought to Leonys Martin and Ronald Guzman.

2.9 - Ronald Guzman - As I said just above, I seriously looked at picking him in the first round. I knew Boston was on him, so I was glad to grab him amongst their multitude of second-round picks. Guzman has a sweet swing and no defensive skills to speak of, and there are some pretty lofty adjectives being tossed around by Rangers observers in the DR right now.

3.9 - Rougned Odor - I really wanted to pick Odor in the third round of the 2010 draft but found that he actually signed on January 1 and settled for Buckel (who's regarded as the better prospect right now). I got to see this guy at spring training and really like the bat. I think he's an every-day second baseman.

4.19 - Yohander Mendez - Tall, skinny Venezuelan lefty with a feel for three pitches, got $1.5 in the last year of bonus bonanzas. We'll see.

5.19 - Will Lamb - He had very little success when he did pitch in college, but his velo jumped in pro ball and he was decent. He was pretty much the only guy on my queue at this point.

6.6 - Zeke DeVoss - Probably a utility guy ceiling unless he adds some strength, but guys with his profile sometimes overachieve.

7.4 - Kyle Kubitza - Texas State guy has a good approach and solid tools across the board. Local flyer.

8.1 - Jack Lopez - Polished coach's son should handle the lower levels pretty well for a HS infielder. Pretty much throwing darts at this point.

9.1 - Nick Mutz - One more college arm with a little upside. This is one of those stories of scouting intrigue, but he did pitch in Cape Cod and did well in his debut.

10.1/FA - Adalberto Mondesi - Technically signed immediately after the draft ended for roster reasons. I think there's no way to know how his body will develop. For now he's a skinny, baby-faced, skilled shortstop. I just like his swing.

Like anyone else I'd love to skew older and more polished in the draft, but I really coveted the three international teenagers at the top. I did squeeze in more of a standard draft between rounds five and nine, though those are not elite guys. It was a rare occasion that I didn't have a disappointing near miss in the top three rounds, but we'll have to see if Soler signs before the season.

1.29 - Jairo Beras - Looked at a variety of guys here - Marcus Stroman, Stephen Piscotty, Ty Hensley, Matt Smoral - bought into the upside of Beras.

2.29 - Wyatt Mathisen - The pitchers I liked disappeared just prior to this pick. We need catching depth and Mathisen looks like a solid all-around talent.

3.29 - Tzu-Wei Lin - Didn't love what I saw out there so just decided to add to our shortstop depth.

4.29 - Kolby Copeland - Beras and Copeland restore an outfield presence in the farm system. Copeland seems fairly polished but needs to develop more game power to be a meaningful major leaguer.

5.29 - Fernando Perez - Sounds like the Padres are high on his bat, though his lack of strike zone control in his brief debut was discouraging.

I liked what I was able to add in this draft, bulked up all positional areas and wasn't devastated in front of any of my picks. Was particularly satisfied with Mathieson and Perez staying on the board for me. On the flip side, I wound up picking all teenagers, failed to draft one pitcher when pitching is the weak point on the roster, and admittedly did not prepare for this draft as much as usual. Definitely a wait-and-see draft.

(2013 Update): Wow, this turned ugly fast. Still some promise in Beras, but it's hard to hold out much hope for any of the others. Lin and Perez are already gone.

1.30 - Christian Arroyo - Going into the draft I would have been ok with one of the Cards lefties, but I'm a sucker for guys who look like pure hitters in the draft. The three guys I hoped might slip to 30 - Tim Anderson, Chi Chi Gonzalez and Ryan McMahon - went in succession 23-25.

2.20 - Eloy Jimenez - Got this pick for Stephen Drew. Seemed pretty flat at the top of the list of international kids. Gleyber Torres and Rafael Devers seem at least as good but I need outfielders and Jimenez seems like the safest bet among them.

2.27 - Gleyber Torres - Got this pick in the Segura deal. With Devers gone, I went ahead and went for the other international guy I like best. I am really bad about picking position players over pitchers in the draft.

2.30 - Ricardo Sanchez - Sounds like this guy has stuff and aptitude. I was looking at him as early as 30, obviously plenty of bust potential.

3.30 - Luis Encarnacion - Frankly wasn't that jazzed with anyone available at this point after Jake Johansen, Marcos Diplan and Dustin Peterson went off the board. Went for one more interesting Dominican bat.

4.30 - Aledmys Diaz - Mixed reports about his bat and defensive ability but there appears to be quite a bit of interest in him. Decent looking swing and physicality for a middle infielder. Can sign in February.

5.30 - Rusney Castillo - Seems unlikely that he'll get cleared and signed by opening day, but he did defect over a month ago and has now had a workout for teams. Sounds like he has middling upside but nice versatility.

As usual, I didn't go in planning on skewing this young but the extra picks late in the second seemed like they were at a good spot to grab upside international kids. I'm guessing I'm the first person to pick four straight 16-year-olds. Also didn't really intend to pick just one player picked in the MLB draft, but I don't mind the way it turned out. The two free agent Cubans at the end add a little intrigue for me but don't sound likely to be more than role players in MLB.

1.27 - Spencer Adams - There were five or six guys I liked about the same at this point. I'm not too hot at identifying pitchers early on, but Spencer shows the attributes that seem to be most important - athleticism, command, makings of a powerful fastball/breaking ball combo.

2.27 - Hector Olivera - Even though the OFAC has burned me on Jorge Soler and Rusney Castillo, I couldn't resist another gamble on Olivera. If he can get signed, I'm willing to bet on his health. At 29 he fits in well with the core of our roster, which is primarily 28-31. And I could use him either at 3B or 2B immediately.

3.27 - Brayan Hernandez - Honestly I don't have any great attachment to him, just seemed like he could be the highest upside guy at this point.

4.21 - Christopher Acosta - Same for Acosta, didn't have anyone in the queue that I was all that high on so I'm basically throwing darts at international kids.

4.27 - Connor Joe - The 39th pick in the MLB draft had a back strain and didn't play, so that might have hurt his IBC stock a little. We'll see.

5.27 - Lane Thomas - He got third round money, has some tools, and had a nice debut. We'll see.

Olivera turning into something would make this a useful draft. I think that Joe and Thomas are interesting, but I haven't had a lot of luck with conventional American picks in the lower rounds. The two pubescents in the middle are darts.

1.29 - Andres Gimenez - With the depth of the international class there was very little consensus on most guys. I was impressed with his video.

2.29 - Leodys Taveras - Have heard good things and center fielders have been my roster's biggest weakness for a while now.

3.28 - Jorge Ona - Long shot to sign but at 88 and without studying this class well, there wasn't much else I was excited about.

3.29 - Derian Cruz - Jorge Mateo comps got my attention.

4.29 - Vladimir Gutierrez - Sum may not equal the parts but seems projectable. Will be interesting to see who wins the tug-of-war between teams already over the limit and those saving up to go crazy starting July 2.

5.29 - Norge Ruiz - If he were to sign there's a decent chance that he's one of the better starters picked in this draft. Same deal as Gutierrez with the tug-of-war.

I certainly had two prototypes in this draft - 16 year old middle-of-the-diamond athletes and unsigned Cubans. If any of those three sign, it dramatically helps this group. Otherwise, nothing will come of it for years even if I hit on one or two of the kids.
Last edited by Rangers on Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

It's a new (rebuilding) era for the team so I'll start a new post for the draft

1.01 - Kevin Maitan - The top position players in the MLB draft were good high floor guys, but I went a little more boom/bust with Maitan.

1.17 - Adrian Morejon - I will probably hate myself for not grabbing Quantrill and crossing my fingers that Morejon would have made it to 20 but I just liked the lefty's limited video.

1.20 - Bo Bichette - This is likely a reach by 5-10 spots but I wound up going for another shot at an impact bat. I intended to pick Justin Dunn or Lucas Erceg all the way after acquiring this pick but when it came down to it I took a bit of a left turn. I have a feeling that his brother hurt him but baseball is littered with brothers who were similar but one was just a bit better than the other which meant a long big league career rather than bombing out in the minors.

2.01 - Mason Thompson - I had intended to pick Luis Almanzar for months with this pick but I struggled to differentiate Almanzar and Garcia on my board and vibes were so positive with Thompson in the fall that I kept pushing him up my board as the draft approached. My track record says that I am not very good at selecting pitchers in this draft, so here's hoping that Thompson is an exception.

2.22 - Luis Garcia - I feel more comfortable thinking of Thompson and Garcia swapped, but thankfully one of Almanzar and Garcia did reach 52. Garcia is nothing like my top pick last year, Andres Gimenez (btw, check out Gimenez and Gleyber Torres swing the bat from opposite sides), once you get past the 5'11" 170 LHB J2 SS high level profile - he seems more similar to Derian Cruz - but I'm a sucker for a young shortstop with a good swing.

2.26 - Johan Oviedo - My plan going into the draft was certainly not to draft Oviedo in the second round. This draft is an attempt to add difference makers and although Jesus Luzardo, Gabriel Arias or Hudson Potts would have felt like much better value, I took the stab at the fresh, live arm with some apparent semblance of aptitude and being developed by people who know how to develop arms like his.

3.15 - Michel Miliano - He hadn't even been created in the queue so this was probably a reach by a round, but I don't pick again for 48 spots and I wanted to grab him in this draft. Miliano joins Morejon and Thompson as Padres pitchers in this class, with a grand total of 12 professional innings among them. ¡Viva la liga de instrucción!

4.26 - Yordan Alvarez - It's an intriguing situation - a guy who can clearly hit but hasn't played in the US, a big man with hitting ability and raw power who doesn't hit for much game power, a Cuban whose signing cost the Dodgers $4M but was dealt before he ever played for them. Will be interesting to see if the Astros can help him unlock enough power for a first baseman.

5.03 - Yunior Severino - For better or worse this was the easiest pick for me to make in this draft because Severino was the only remaining guy from the top 90 on my board before the draft. Interesting bat and some curiously optimistic comments were attributed to Braves scouts by Atlanta writers.

5.26 - Bryan Mata - The issue here was more whether to draft than who to draft, though I did like a couple more position players still available. Since he was actually a part of the previous signing period he's a little further along than the other J2's in my draft. There isn't a lot to go on here, but I'm obviously just taking another stab at a potential starter with some upside.

In terms of drafting for value, this draft was a mess. There were a few players - Bichette, Thompson, Oviedo, Miliano - I liked well above where retail sources pinned them and when it was time to pick, I picked the guys I liked rather than gambling that they would be there with my next pick. That approach can get you in trouble but in what wasn't considered a very good draft, I went that way.

It's obviously a very young class, all teenagers including four July 2 players and eight international guys, but where I've gone against type is in featuring so many pitchers. I need Morejon to pan out but I would be thrilled if one of the other thee arms turns into a gem.

1.01 - Shohei Ohtani - He probably settles in as a starting pitcher only in time, which is fine. Hopefully a #2 or more.

1.06 - Jo Adell - I did a whole lot of trading to get up to #6 with the idea that there were 8-9 guys I really liked in this draft. Robert went 5th so I took Adell over much surer things in Kyle Wright, Keston Hiura and Brendan McKay, so here's hoping that his bat develops and his arm is ok. The swing has come a long way over the past couple of years.

1.30 - Eric Pardinho - Back-to-back picks and I actually had Ryan Vilade ranked first here but went with two prospects I was partial to. It's hard to pull the trigger on a 16-year-old this size but there are a lot of superlatives with this guy and Marcus Stroman seems like a pretty good example in his own organization of how it can work just fine.

2.01 - George Valera - I'll admit that comparisons to Juan Soto were a little hard to get out of my head, but the swing is there on video and there is power as well.

3.01 - Everson Pereira - I fell in love with his swing and offensive game on video, was very comfortable with this pick especially after Mercado and Schmidt went just before.

3.09 - Danny Diaz - I went for power potential in these last two picks. Diaz adds some athleticism and is another good looking swing on video.

4.01 - Mason Martin - I don't love the stride he's taken lately in his swing, little much of a pull tendency, or his lack of athleticism, but I'm a little confused as to why he doesn't garner more attention. He has legitimate power from a relatively short swing that doesn't sell out for power. He doesn't hit the ball on the ground and is very selective. He's just starting to put man strength on his frame and along with it he's got room for muscle and a professional body builder for a dad. Pretty interesting imo. I did labor over Martin versus Raimfer Salinas, though, the old five tool value versus all bat.

At one point I had double digit picks but pared down to get the guys I wanted, Adell in particular. After Ohtani it's two high school drafts and four more J2 guys but a little more emphasis on position player than last year. I gave up a ton to get into position to draft Adell, so I need him to come through. I'm excited to see Pereira develop and ready to be sick about passing on Ronny Mauricio a couple of times.

1.01 - Casey Mize - I can't say that I was overly excited to pick this guy at 1.1 but this was never a class with much headline talent. If he does become a legit #2/3, he'll be just what the doctor ordered.

2.01 - Noelvi Marte - It wasn't easy to pass on Malcom Nunez, the Yankees catchers, and Indians pitchers but five-tool teenage shortstops who hit in games aren't easy to come by.

3.01 - Richard Gallardo - Made this pick from my sick bed on a boat off of South America with minutes remaining on my time (thanks for the remainder Pat G) so not a whole ton of research went into it but had been reading good things about him since the fall. Could have had Osiel Rodriguez so the comparison between the two will be interesting to follow.

4.01 - Jairo Pomares - I'm a sucker for sweet left-handed swings in the draft and this guy has one. He runs a little stiff but the times are pretty good and he doesn't have to wind up in CF to be of value.

5.01 - Eduardo Garcia - One of those who may require more patience than I'll have when roster spot shortages hit, but the only real knock on him at this point is that he's 16 and has the frame of a 16-year-old.

After two drafts of acquiring extra picks and increased focus, life got in the way in 2018 and the 2018 version consisted of default picks and minimal research. Everyone but Mize is very far away, so I'll have to be patient with these guys.

1.06 - Maximo Acosta - There were four corner outfielders - JJ Bleday, Riley Greene, Erick Pena and Luis Rodriguez - who most would have considered better options than Acosta. I let roster needs come into play, since I only had one significant middle infielder but more corner outfielders than I could field plus twelve outfield prospects. Acosta could be a special shortstop, though, and those are catnip for me.

2.06 - Hedbert Perez - Perez's scouting report reads like a much better player than where he was ranked. I felt the same way last year about my high second round pick, Noelvi Marte.

2.28 - Adael Amador - Arol Vera, Braden Shewmake and Gunnar Henderson went off the board and left Amador as the most interesting shortstop type on my list. He looks like a hitter and someone who takes baseball very seriously for a 16 year old and I wanted to add some shortstops. Oh and he's a Coors Fielder.

3.06 - Jhon Diaz - Another hitter and like Perez a subtle power-speed center fielder. Once Reggie Preciado and Aaron Schunk went off the board Diaz stood out on my list.

3.24 - Jose Salas - He seems like the shakiest bat of my draftees this year but like three of the other four he's athletic with a projectable body and a little power potential, and like the other four he projects in the middle of the diamond.

4.30 - pass

5.06 - pass

I think the value of the J2 players has finally come close to tipping with a number of other GMs going high for them and 25+ of them going in the draft now, but for one more year I went hard in their direction. Andrew Vaughn was actually my first pick in this draft but was taken away due to an unprecedented exco decision, so that will always be a footnote for this draft for me. In November I thought I might get Acosta with #36 but as it became more and more clear that he belonged in the top half of the first round, I thought more and more about just picking him. Funny enough, some of the reason was that I was flush with corner outfielders and hurting at shortstop, but just after I made the Acosta pick I moved Eloy Jimenez in a deal for Bo Bichette.

1.24 - Wilman Diaz - Pete Crow and some interesting pitchers are there but the highest floor actually seems like a 17 year old (though I'm clueless this year).

2.24 - Pedro Pineda - I looked at several guys here and narrowed to Dax Fulton, Jackson Chouria, and Pineda. I've lost so many pitchers to TJ surgeries that the fact that Fulton already has one in the tank pushed me to the position player.

3.24 - Jackson Chouria - I think all of the seven or eight guys I considered at 54 were gone at 84, minus Chouria. Hopefully the good vibes with Hedbert Perez right now didn't skew my view but the scouting report sounds good and videos of his swing look decent. He's also young for his class, seven months younger than Pineda and five months younger than Diaz.

4.24 - Daniel Vazquez -

5.24 - Denzer Guzman -

The way the sport has responded to covid has completely choked away my interest this past year. I'm just pulling the handle on a slot machine for this draft. In the end, it looks a whole lot like my 2019 draft, at least demographically. None of the players in either draft have played pro ball, so I guess we'll see.

1.11 - Harry Ford -

2.11 - Lazaro Montes -

2.18 - Joe Mack -

3.7 - Kyle Manzardo -

3.11 - Samuel Munoz -

3.20 - Ricky Tiedemann -

3.22 - Simon Juan -

4.10 - Gordon Graceffo -

5.11 - Hunter Parks -

5.27 - Eric Silva -

I put the most assets into this draft since 2016/17 and may have hit on 4-5 quality prospects out of 10, with Manzardo and Tiedemann standing out as potential value picks and Graceffo as a potential sleeper. Bryce Miller, who I signed right after the draft, quickly passed most of these pitchers.

1.12 - Dylan Lesko -

2.12 - Jacob Misiorowski -

3.12 - Jackson Ferris -

4.12 - Jeremy Rodriguez -

5.12 - Danny Serretti -

I went into this draft looking to bolster my positional prospects but kept going on the clock when it felt like the pitcher was the easy choice. All three were upside gambles, with Misiorowski the ultimate hail mary pick.

1.30 - Paulino Santana -

2.2 - Ralphy Velazquez -

2.25 - Luis Cova -

2.28 - Travis Sykora -

2.30 - Jorge Quintana -

3.1 - Yandel Ricardo -

3.2 - Yovanny Rodriguez -

3.13 - Devin Saltiban -

3.22 - Andrew Walters -

3.23 - Dexters Peralta -

3.30 - Paul Wilson -

4.30 - Jhonny Level -

This was one of those drafts you have every once in a while where, any time I went more than about ten spots between picks, it seemed like my board would get wiped out right before I picked. I'm not sure that I had warm fuzzies after any pick. Like 2019 and 2020 it also skewed younger than I intended, but I felt like I needed to replenish some upside position players with only five remaining position players who didn't play in AAA or MLB last year.

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”