4. Logan Morrison, 1b
5. Carlos Triunfel, ss/2b
6. Bud Norris, rhp
7. Gordon Beckham, ss
8. J.P. Arencibia, c
9. Justin Smoak, 1b
10. Brett Wallace, 3b
11. Dan Cortes, rhp
Every other player on that list, and Norris is smack in the middle, will be on BA's top 100. And I count 6-8 (3-4 after him) who will probably be in the top 50.
6. Bud Norris, rhp
Scottsdale Scorpions (Astros)

Norris was sort of lost in the shuffle early this season at Double-A Corpus Christi as the righthander missed two months due to an elbow strain in mid-May. But he's been outstanding since returning despite an extremely limited pitch count, and opened eyes again in the AFL as scouts project him as a set-up man, even as closer. He'll have to throw more strikes in the future to close, but the 23-year-old showed off his power arm in the AFL with his fastball touching 98 mph.

Listed at 6-foot, 195 pounds, Norris doesn't have great downward plane but compensates with both fastball velocity and hard slider. In the regular-season, he was tinkering with a changeup, a pitch that could keep him in the rotation.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/p ... 67286.html

Also, nice picture Brett Wallace.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

wow...well that sucks that i recently dropped him. Merry Christmas Brett
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Don't feel too bad Dave, it's the AFL. Chris Nelson had a hell of a season up there not too long ago as I recall.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

RedSox wrote:Don't feel too bad Dave, it's the AFL. Chris Nelson had a hell of a season up there not too long ago as I recall.
Very not too long ago...like this last month: .321/.392/.595
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Angels wrote:wow...well that sucks that i recently dropped him. Merry Christmas Brett
Just a small interest payment on Jon Lester :)
Royals

Post by Royals »

Tigers wrote:
RedSox wrote:Don't feel too bad Dave, it's the AFL. Chris Nelson had a hell of a season up there not too long ago as I recall.
Yup, so there ya go.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

RedSox wrote:
Tigers wrote:
Yup, so there ya go.
To be fair, having good stats in the AFL is different from being ranked among the top prospects. Everyone knows that stats in the AFL are nothing to go by, but when you're ranked against the top prospects, you're basically just being judged against other guys, not slanted, silly stats. If you'll recall, your old guy Russell Martin first came to mainstream prominence after being ranked in the AFL.

Nelson, despite those numbers, wasn't in their top 20. My guy Tyler Flowers hit .387/.460/.973 with 12 HR in 75 AB for gosh sakes and was only #15. And he might be a top 100 prospect this spring himself.
Royals

Post by Royals »

It's one month, anyone can have a hot month. Norris is an SP who was pitching in relief, an SP with elbow problems.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

RedSox wrote:It's one month, anyone can have a hot month.
Duh.

Like you would if it were a player on your team, I was just pleasantly surprised to see that the "one of these things doesn't belong" guy on a ranking comprised of elite prospects is someone from my roster. It just means that he looked good to scouts there, nothing more sweeping than that.
Royals

Post by Royals »

If it was the AFL? Absolutely not. I've been burned on getting excited about AFL performances before, I don't hype AFL performances, they're meaningless.

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”