Brett Perryman's blog

Moderator: Rangers

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Goldstein bolsters Tigers' confidence in Ethan Martin

Post by Rangers »

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=8340
Year in Review: While he entered the year as a third baseman who could also pitch a little, by the time the draft came, this first-round talent was generally seen as the best high school pitcher in the country. He was unable to make his debut due to a minor knee injury suffered during a fielding drill.
The Good: Martin has everything one looks for in a young pitching prospect. He has smooth mechanics, and effortlessly pitches at 92-94 mph while touching 96, and many believe there is projection for much more. Unlike most teenagers, he already has solid secondary offerings, with a hard-breaking power curve and a surprisingly deceptive change. He's a fantastic athlete with a strong durable build, and scouts rave about his makeup.
The Bad: Martin is still developing as a pitcher. He is still learning how to mix his pitches more effectively, as well as the difference between throwing strikes and throwing good strikes. Despite the advanced arsenal for his age, Martin has a tendency to overthrow all of his pitches, costing him command and movement.
Perfect World Projection: He'll be a star-level and possibly high-impact big-league starter.
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

He's a stud...I had my fingers crossed hoping he'd fall to me. Sadly, no.
Rays
Name: Matt Kratky

Post by Rays »

Yeah, this is a great pick. The BA story of the Lagrange invitational game in which Martin faced Hosmer is awesome.
Martin retired the leadoff batter on two pitches before Eric Hosmer, the top power hitter among the prep ranks, stepped to the plate. Martin dealt two quick strikes with 94 and 96 mph fastballs. Then Hosmer battled and fouled off a couple pitches. With a 2-2 count, Martin delivered a backdoor slurve and froze Hosmer for strike three.

"That was probably the biggest game," Martin said. "At that point I wasn't a pitcher, really. If I did well it was great. If I didn't, it wasn't going to affect me because I was a position player."

After retiring Hosmer, Martin promptly struck out Adrian Nieto, another top prospect, for the third out. The scouts in attendance raved about the new pitching talent now clearly on display

Return to “The Roof Is Closed”