Vick

Jake Levine's blog

Moderator: Pirates

Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Vick

Post by Pirates »

When Vick came into the NFL, he was the supposed superstar that the NFL wanted. The player that could be a game changer, and have all the fans drooling to see, something that Lebron James, and Sydney Crosby do. But now that Vick committed an awful Felony and that the NFL has changed leadership, they treat him like complete shit. I've always been a huge fan of Mike Vick and in no way support what he did. But the fact that the NFL has shunned him completely is a joke. The NFL doesnt sell Vick jerseys anymore, and this really put me over the edge.

"The NFL has fined five Atlanta Falcons players after they showed support for disgraced quarterback Michael Vick during the Falcons nationally televised loss to the New Orleans Saints last Monday.

The NFL said the very public displays of support for Vick violated NFL uniform code policy in a couple of cases and, in fact, was so "in the face" of NFL leadership that the fines were doubled in some cases.

Tight end Alge Crumpler, cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall and Chris Houston and wide receiver Roddy White were fined $10,000 each. Hall and Crumpler wore black eye strips with writing on them supporting Vick. Hall also carried a poster supporting Vick which he taped to the back of the bench where players sit.

White wore a "Free Mike Vick" shirt underneath his jersey, which he showed after scoring a touchdown. Wide receiver Joe Horn was fined $7,500 for pulling up White's jersey.

It has not been made clear exactly what Houston did to violate the code."
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I live in Atlanta, so I can speak freely about this subject.

Everyone here hates Vick. Believe it or not, Atlanta is a football town..albeit UGA....but the Falcons aren't far behind.

When I moved here, I saw hundreds of kids with a #7 jersey on. Most of those kids didn't know what football really was, but they had a hero to root for. Vick's face was planted all over this town.

If you talk to anyone who lives here, anyone who has kids and raised them to support their local football team, and incidently Vick, you'll hear a lot of the same resonance.

Between the water bottle incident, the flipping off the crowd, and now the felony, Vick was given ever opportunity to succeed. He not only failed the NFL, the Kids who looked up to him & his teamates, he failed life.

If you disagree, try explaining to your kid why they can't wear a Vick jersey anymore...I don't have kids (that I know about), but I've seen it first hand.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

I've heard that as well, and I don't see how anyone can look up to Vick as a role model anymore. However, I think players and teammates have the right to show their support for someone on or off the field. I understand they play for a private business, but to not be allowed to have the number 7 on your eye paint doesn't deserve the same fine some players get for cheap hits.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

1. You underestimate the NFL, this is very much in line with their control freak mentality. This is the No Fun league, and that includes showing support for convicted felons.

2. Support for Vick? uhm... why? He's a lying P.O.S. who killed dogs for fun. Oh, an profit. Because apparently the Falcons weren't paying him enough money.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

He has created a new cottage industry: http://pissonvick.com/
Mets

Post by Mets »

I'm one of the biggest opponents of any censorship, and endorsers of what happens out of the workplace, stays out of the workplace, but Vick has done absolutely nothing outside of being fast to earn any respect since he's been drafted.

He even failed to show up for his own charity event....that's just low.

It's a sad day when we're talking about Marcus Vick being the better role model.

Here's a quick summary of Vick since he's entered the NFL...

Between his selection by the Atlanta Falcons in the 2001 NFL Draft and early 2007, Vick was allegedly involved several incidents or events:
  • In 2007, conflicting statements were made by his estranged parents about possible dogfighting activities in 2001. Michael Boddie, his father, who now lives in Atlanta, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that around 2001, Michael Vick was staging dogfights in the garage of the family's home in Newport News and kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including injured ones which the father nursed back to health. Boddie said his son had been urged to not engage in the activity, but continued. He stated "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it." [34] Within days, Michael Vick's mother, Brenda Vick Boddie, who now lives in Suffolk, Virginia, responded. She told the Newport News Daily Press "There was no dogfighting [at our home]. There were no cages."[35]
In early 2004, two men were arrested in Virginia for distributing marijuana. The truck they were driving was registered to Michael Vick. The Falcons coach Dan Reeves recalled that he lectured Vick at that time on the importance of reputation, on choosing the right friends, on staying out of trouble for the good of his team. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution quoted Reeves as having told Vick: "You are an Atlanta Falcon...Whatever you do is going to be a reflection on all of us, not just you."[36]
  • On October 10, 2004, Vick and the other members of his party including employee Quanis Phillips were at Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport on their way to board an AirTran afternoon flight to Newport News, Virginia. While they were passing through a security checkpoint with Vick, a security camera caught Phillips and Todd Harris picking up an expensive-appearing watch (either a Rolex or a fake) which belonged to Alvin Spencer, a security screener.[37] After watching the theft on a video tape, Spencer filed a police report. However, he claimed that Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, known as the Falcons "fixer", interfered with the investigation.[36] Although Vick representatives declined to make him available for an Atlanta police inquiry, six days later Spencer did get the watch back from them, according to the Washington Post.[37]
In March 2005 a woman named Sonya Elliott filed a civil lawsuit against Vick alleging she contracted genital herpes from Vick, in the autumn of 2002, and that he failed to inform her that he had the disease.[38] Elliot further alleged that Vick had visited clinics under the alias "Ron Mexico" to get treatments and thus he knew of his condition. On April 24, 2006 Vick's attorney, Lawrence Woodward, revealed that the lawsuit had settled out of court with an undisclosed amount.[39] Many fans bought custom jerseys from NFL.com with Vick's number 7 and the name "MEXICO" on the back, as a reference to his lawsuit. The NFL has since banned customizing jerseys with the name Mexico.
  • November 20, 2006- Vick and the City of Kankakee, Illinois enter into an agreement that permits Vick to pay sales taxes to Kankakee and not in Georgia or Virginia. Source: http://www.ci.kankakee.il.us/council%20 ... 5d.MIN.rtf
    November 26, 2006 - After a Falcons loss to the New Orleans Saints in the Georgia Dome in apparent reaction to fans booing, Vick made an obscene gesture at fans, holding up two middle fingers. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL for his obscene gesture, and agreed to donate another $10,000 to charity.[40]
January 17, 2007 Vick surrendered a water bottle which had a hidden compartment to security personnel at Miami International Airport. "The compartment was hidden by the bottle's label so that it appeared to be a full bottle of water when held upright," police said. Test results indicated there were no illegal substances in the water bottle and Vick was cleared of any wrongdoing.[41] Vick announced that the water bottle was a jewelry stash box, and that the substance in question had been jewelry.[42]
  • November 3, 2001 Fans in the family section of the stands cheered when Atlanta Falcon's quarterback Chris Chandler was injured because it meant that Vick would be given a chance to play. Chris Chandler's wife Diane confronted the fans, which led to a commotion which led to an object being thrown. Coach Dan Reeves said that he would speak with the players about how their families were expected to act following the game. Vick himself decried the incident: "That's so crazy, man," Vick said. "I don't see how anybody could be cheering while somebody's out there getting hit. As hard as we go out there and try to please these fans, as hard as we go out and play, I don't see why anybody would even make those statements."[43][44]

You can tell his teamates that they can support Ron Mexico all they want, at this point, Vick has just created a hell right below Barry Bonds in Dante's 7 levels of sports Hell.

Mets

Post by Mets »

one more....

Falcons | Vick misses appearance in front of Congress
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 21:56:40 -0700

The Associated Press reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick missed his scheduled appearance on Capitol Hill to persuade lawmakers to increase funding for after-school programs. Vick's publicist, Susan Bass, said he was in Tampa, Fla., Monday, April 23, to play in RB Warrick Dunn's charity golf tournament. He then caught a flight to Atlanta that was supposed to arrive in time for him to make another flight to northern Virginia. The AirTran flight was late leaving Tampa, Vick missed his connection flight and wound up stuck in Atlanta, according to Bass. AirTran gave a different account. They acknowledged the flight from Florida was late getting to Atlanta, which caused Vick to miss his 8:35 p.m. flight to Virginia. Airline spokesman Tad Hutcheson said Vick was booked on a 10:50 p.m. flight. Hutcheson said Vick failed to show up for the flight, which left Atlanta with about 20 empty seats.

Return to “The Silver Bullet”