Guarantees

Jake Levine's blog

Moderator: Pirates

Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Guarantees

Post by Pirates »

Im so sick and tired of listening to these players guarantee victories when all they are trying to do is gain publicity and act like a hero, when in reality they are making themselves look stupid. Anthony Smith guaranteed a win tonight, did anyone ACTUALLY take it seriously? No i doubt it. If they steelers win, then good for them it makes it look good, but if they dont which nobody thought they would, then its just another publicity stunt that failed. Chad Johnson guaranteeing a victory over the 2-5 Houston Texans? I mean come on. Does anyone actually care if the bengals won that game, or even if the steelers won today? I mean we might but its nothing like a guarantee used to be.

Joe Namath Guaranteeing a victory over what many people said were the best team ever, the (Bren's Favorite)Baltimore Colts in the 1969 "Super Bowl" World Championship Game. An 18 point underdog Namath said "We'll win the game. I guarantee you." and finished as Super Bowl MVP.

But in light of the guarantee that was supposed to happen this weekend, I really wrote this to bring one guarantee to everyones attention, one that many may not have remembered or even heard of. Its something that I think is the most underrated moment in sports, and the reason why when you talk about the greatest players to play in NY in the past 30-40 years you label this man as 1. and Derek Jeter as 1A.

in 1994, with the New York Rangers 1 game from elimination, down 3 games to 2 in the best of 7 eastern conference finals to their rival New Jersey Devils, Captain Mark Messier stepped in front of the hardest media in the world, and said, "We will win tonight." Not only did he guarantee a win, but after the Rangers were trailing 2-1 and the end of the 2nd period, Messier went on to score 3 consecutive goals in the 3rd to record a natural hat trick (3 consecutive goals by 1 player without anyone else scoring). Not only did he bring them to a game 7 but he brought the cup back to the Garden for the 1st time in 54 years. In my mind the greatest captain of all time.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I'm sorry - but I find this absolutely hilarious and totally hypocritical at the same time.

So it's 'ok' to guarantee a big game victory, but you aren't allowed to guarantee regular season games? Do you think players in the year 2007 are the first players to ever guarantee regular season games?

What on earth does "its nothing like a guarantee used to be" even mean? When they did it in 1969 they were wearing fur coats? When they did it in 1994 it was ok because he won? So you can only guarantee a game in which you win? So people with access to a time machine should be the only players allowed to guarantee a game?

And I'm not going to touch your point about Messier being the most beloved New York athlete in the last 40 years - it's gonna take an ENTIRE other paragraph, and it starts w/ "His biggest problem is that he played hockey..."
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Messier doesn't have herpes
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Z, honestly there is no way you live in NY if you dont know that Messier and Jeter are considered the two most beloved athletes in the past 40 years. I know you always think your right. And just because you have no interest in hockey doesnt mean it doesnt exist. I would GUARANTEE and bet ANY amount of money that if I stood on a street corner in NY that the top 2 answers I get are messier and jeter and that they would be very close.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Two Points:
1) You are drastically overestimating the aura the Rangers carry compared to the Knicks and Yanks. Is Messier top 10? For sure. Is he #1? HELL to the no.

2) I was trying to DEFLECT that point. Please get back to me on guarantees - Please write out a set of guidelines one must adhere to to make a prediction.

I wait with baited breath...
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

"Z, honestly there is no way you live in NY if you dont know that Messier and Jeter are considered the two most beloved athletes in the past 40 years."

Not if you're a Islanders & Mets fan like myself...you hate Capn Jeets & Messier.

I would have to say that Ewing & Lawrence Taylor both rank above Messier. Not to mention Mike Bossy, Broadway Joe, Walt Frazier, Frank Gifford...If I wasn't leaving work right now..I could probably think of a few more that would place top 10...making Messier's spot questionable.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Ewing never even won a championship, Also coincidently he had one of the worst guarantees of all time. Messier is nicknamed the messiah. How many other of those players in NY are called the messiah or god or the greatest? NONE its because messier promised to bring a championship to NY and he did. How many other players did that in NY?

And according to a poll held that WFAN, on NYs Greatest Sports Celebrities.

1. Jeter

2. Mark Messier

3. Lawrence Taylor

4. Joe Torre

5. Patrick Ewing
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Brewers wrote:And according to a poll held that WFAN, on NYs Greatest Sports Celebrities.

1. Jeter

2. Mark Messier

3. Lawrence Taylor

4. Joe Torre

5. Patrick Ewing
What the hell does that first sentence even mean? Iesus. That's worse than some of the shit I've graded. And source? Citations are everything, whether writing a paper or arguing a jerk-off point in a fantasy baseball forum.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

SORRY I FORGOT I WAS IN SCHOOL

http://www.wfan.com/pages/1163575.php
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

Brewers wrote:SORRY I FORGOT I WAS IN SCHOOL

http://www.wfan.com/pages/1163575.php
Now that wasn't that difficult, now was it?
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

YO! FOCUS JAKE! You keep skirting your entire initial point on guarantees...it's nice that you have apparently forgotten the Knicks of Frazier, Bradley, Debusschere, the Black Jesus, and Willis Reed...BUT...

What about guarantees - can you PLEASE lay out your guidelines for when someone can make a guarantee and when you can't - that's the entire topic of this post, illuminate us...
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

Jake, I see you posting on the site, so I'm just assuming you are currently constructing your "When and How to Make a Guarantee" pamphlet, and it will be posted soon...

I'm waiting very impatiently - this should be a fantastic read and earth-shatteringly insightful...
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

when i get around to it, it will be done
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Z the only reason you disagree is because you don't like hockey. people who don't like hockey have never given it a chance and I won't listen to one thing they have to say about the sport. I am a phils fan first and foremost but my other arm bleeds orange. I can't stand listening to people bash hockey because anyone who does doesn't know shit. even as a flyers fan i cant disagree with Jake for a second. Messier is a leader, warrior and pimp in one. he did exactly what he needed to do to win hockey games (sometimes with a whole team on his shoulders) and was excellent in every aspect of the game. those who appreciate a great game, love him or hate him, would agree.
Yankees

Post by Yankees »

I think you are both totally underrating my interest in the sport of hockey - 1) I was a HUGE Whalers fan, 2) some of my best friends families have made their living through hockey (again, Whalers)...

There are two things - One, it's much better in person. Two, there's no coverage of it.

Sure Messier was great, but his legacy, like all of hockey, has diminished over the years. If you talked to a New Yorker who the most iconic person of the last 30 years is RIGHT NOW, they'll remember something more sticky - like Jeter, or Rivera, or the Knicks of yesteryear (to forget this disaster). You HAVE to take into place time, place, and circumstance and throw out personal interest when making assertions like this. Sorry guys, the Messier of right now does not carry the weight of a Messier of 10 years ago...
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

you are probably right that his weight as gone down over the years, but fans in NY will NEVER forgot him and what he has done. You would also be suprised how many people still think hes the best that NY has had.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Brewers wrote:you are probably right that his weight as gone down over the years, but fans in NY will NEVER forgot him and what he has done. You would also be suprised how many people still think hes the best that NY has had.
Correction...NY Ranger fans will never forget him. Devils and Islanders fans don't give two shits about Messier...I top see how he can be a top icon of the city when half the hockey population in NY hate his guts.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC

Return to “The Silver Bullet”