Best Year Ever???

Jake Levine's blog

Moderator: Pirates

Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Best Year Ever???

Post by Pirates »

I've asked a few people this, and I've seen it come up on some articles.

But could 2008 be considered the greatest Sports year of all-time in terms of stories?

-Giants Upset 18-0 Patriots in Super Bowl.
-1st Time all 4 number 1 seeds make the final 4 in NCAA Tourny
-Kansas wins NCAA tourny after making 3 with 2 seconds left to go to OT
-Michael Phelps wins record Medals in Summer Olympics
-Nadal beats Federer in Wimbledon
-Big Brown goes for the triple crown
-Celtics,Lakers Finals
-Tiger Woods wins US Open in 18 hole playoff with Torn ACL
-Jimmie Johnson on track to win 3rd straight Nascar Nextel Cup Championship, only done once before.
-Redwings bring the championship back to hockeytown
-Fresno St winning the college world series
-Bolt sets new World Record in 100m and 200m at Olympics
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Also to add to the list (thanks to JP)

1st year Yankees have missed the playoffs in 15 or so years
Rays make the World Series after never having a winning record in 10 years.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

A couple thoughts...
1. NASCAR isn't a sport.
2. Detroit can call itself whatever they want, but hockeytown is somewhere in Canada.
3. Seems like a horse goes for the Triple crown every other year now,they never get it.
4. I wouldn't hang anything on any Olympian for 8 years... when the testing statute of limitations passes on them. Sad, but that's the state of Olympic sports.
5. The Yanks not making the playoffs isn't really that big of a deal, the Braves not winning the NLE was more significant.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

RedSox wrote:A couple thoughts...
2. Detroit can call itself whatever they want, but hockeytown is somewhere in Canada.
4. I wouldn't hang anything on any Olympian for 8 years... when the testing statute of limitations passes on them. Sad, but that's the state of Olympic sports.
Canada - along with northern US, i.e.. Maine, UNH, Michigan, Minnesota, et.al - is hockey town. Right now Detroit is the capitol.

Phelps is this generation's Spitz ... where is there ANY indication that he took illegal performance enhancing aides?
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Do you not remember Bren's whole guilty until proven innocent stance on everything Jim?
Royals

Post by Royals »

Cardinals wrote:Do you not remember Bren's whole guilty until proven innocent stance on everything Jim?
It's not a matter of guilty until proven innocent (that's a Bushie concept) it's a matter of being jaded. I wasn't thinking so much of Phelps (though the swimsuit stuff is stupid) I'm thinking more of Bolt. When there's a new set of tests being developed for drugs the testers didn't know about being developed less than 3 months after the Olympics and you've got someone who set ridiculous records at the prior Olympics... yeah, that looks a little bit suspicious.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I'd make the case for another year, but someone else already did it for me. Add in reason #85, December 18th Jake Hamlin born :D
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

This won't make other's best of 2008 list, but Seattle sports fans would put the firing of Bavasi in the Top 3.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Ugh, and he latched on with the reds.. Sometimes I wonder what the fuck god has against this franchise.. He blessed them in the 70's.. Gave them a wire to wire win again in 90.. But nothing but awfullness since. And now.. Bill bavasi.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Royals

Post by Royals »

I suspect the firing of Bavasi is a minor panacea to Seattle fans after being robbed of the Sonics.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

I just wish "robbed" was a correct description, that would imply somewhat of a random act. It was more of a Bennett/Stern pre-meditated and selfish fuck you to Seatown.

Just check out Bennett's face and expressions during the press conference on the day he bought the Sonics compared to his face and expressions during the press conference on the day it was announced the team was approved to move to Nowhere, USA. Fucking smug and prick bastard.
Royals

Post by Royals »

It's not like they moved any plce worth writing about, they moved to a podunk, third rate 'city'.

Return to “The Silver Bullet”