How?

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

How?

Post by Royals »

I want to know how it's possible... that whenever someone talks trade with JB they turn into a functional retard. Does he cast some voodoo spell?

Ok, you're dealing with the most stacked team in the league... the team that more than any other team, you should make overpay because you know he can afford to... and instead GM's say "Here, take this young talented pitcher wh has already proven himself... I know you REALLY want him, and all I really want is that crappy questionable talent over there. Yeah, him, Samaramadindong. He must be good, he went to Notre Dame, he played football and the Cubs gave him a pile of money. The Cubs don't make those kinds of mistakes." *GAG!*

Then you've got Degen, moving the #6 for the #11 and Bourn. Does Degen have even the slightest clue what that #6 is worth on the market? Clearly not.

So, seriously JB, what is it? Do you have some website you send them to that hypnotizes them? Do you keep a genie imprisoned in a bottle who gives them temporary lobotomies? How is it that it so often looks like the result of another Tom Hicks/Scott Boras encounter?

I don't understand it. I'm mystified... but maybe that's jsut a side effect of the voodoo.
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

JB's hooodooo vooodooo is why I didn't even entertain dealing with him until I moved out of the division. Even now, I put my chances of completing a trade with the Yankees sometime this year at maybe 5% b/c the track record says I will come out on the losing end (especially if any of my pitching is involved). My favorite one this year was Matsuzaka and Elijah Dukes for Carlos Zambrano and Kevin Youkilis.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Its unbelievable how dumb people get around JB. Even established, intelligent GMs have their brains turn to mush. It's incredible. But, hey, he's still only got one ring, and until he wins another, I'm not gonna fret too much about it.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

You guys can throw shit all over my trade, I still think I got the better end.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

JB obviously has Jedi mind control powers.....that work through AIM.

JB: "These are not the driods you are looking for.........now trade me your best players and I'll give you some of my underperforming prospects."

IBC GM: "Are you crazy! Why would I..............yes jedi master your word is my command."
Royals

Post by Royals »

The secret is OUT!
JB is NOT short for Jason Bornas... it's short for JoBu!
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I'm going to try to defend my deal with JB over the summer. I dealt Alou, who had been out for months with his hammy, for Sean Rodriguez, figured Alou was bound to tear his MCL getting outta bed or something. Of course, Alou stays healthy and all my OF get hurt and Alou should project awesome next year
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

I've traded once with JB in my entire 6 years in the league. Well maybe there was a trade in my first year, but I've completely forgotten it.

But that was a trade (sloughing off Eric Duncan for some draft picks) in which I broke his spell. (Incidentally, I've been doing a bit of work with ancient lead curse tablets of late and I reckon that there's something there that relates to this whole JB thing...perhaps more elaboration later in magic formulae and the IBC--I smell dissertation!)

Anyhow, I just avoid the guy. No offense, mate.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I think I did well on the Mauer deal, which ultimately gave me the pieces to net Dan Haren and Ian Snell (who became Troy Glaus and Huston Street). I also turned Garret Atkins and Dan Johnson into the Big Hurt and Tui, Atkins is a solid 3B but without Thomas I'd never be a playoff team. I agree that GMs should not deal young pitching to JB, but you can't judge deals GM's make with JB on their face because the pieces acquired are usually flipped in other deals and every GM is going through a team building process. That being said, Dave your defense of your trade sounds a lot like the scouts Moneyball makes fun of. How many times have you seen Adenhart/Samardzija pitch (and Kennedy for that matter) to make your scouting judgement?
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

I don't think I have to answer to you or anyone else for that matter. Glad you chimed in though.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Royals

Post by Royals »

Which is probably good since otherwise that career .399 win rate might have you in trouble...
Giants

Post by Giants »

If you wanna keep making deals like that I'll continue to enjoy beating you by 20 games in the division.
Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Fluke season Jake. You wouldnt be anywhere near the division title had Churchs team not had the injury bug.

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Giants

Post by Giants »

Perhaps he would have beaten me for the title, perhaps not (and kudos to him if he wound up winning more than 101 games), but I could have won 76 and still finished 20 games up. Also that "fluke season" (which happened in about 40% of my preseason sims) forced Ropers to change his plans and focus more on the future. Either way playoff teams are bitter because a non-competitive team just handed JB another young pitcher who's going to sim. Maybe you'll understand if your team ever gets there.
Royals

Post by Royals »

74... 64... 56...
Not sure that'll happen Jake.
Giants

Post by Giants »

That's gotta be the lowest winning percentage openly advertised by any one in any competitive anything ever.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

I got Ichiro out of him.. :P

JB and I can hagle and hagle.. we both think the other is a stingy bastard.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”