Big East Champs!

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Big East Champs!

Post by Royals »

UC was brough into the Big East for our basketball program. More specifically, because of Huggins. of course, by the time UC played a basketball game as part of the BE, Huggins was gone, a result of his alcoholism and occasionally fierce behaviour towards his players.
The football team, which hadn't won any conference championship since the 60's, was an afterthought.
Now we're Big East Champions...
it sucks being in Ohio and trying to support a team that isn't Ohio State. Ohioans breathe the Buckeyes to a level of fanaticism that is probably unhealthy and on a widespread scale that I couldn't compare to any pro sports team I know of (in the US). Of course, it doesn't hurt that there isn't a whole lot else going on in Ohio...
But Danotnio and now Kelly have made UC, not popular, but definitely relevant. Two seasons of consistent top 25 rankings, minor bowl wins and now a Big East Championship and a chance to play on New years Day at the Orange Bowl in Miami have done so much to raise the school's profile. being situated in a hotbed of football talent, with some of the best prep football programs in the country (Xavier and Elder) nearby.

It's a damn good day to be a Bearcat!
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Now if only someone could run the table and get a Big East team in the championship game, and quit beating the hell out of one another along the way, the league might get a permanent place at the table. Then again, there isn't really a champion or anything, so I'm not sure what's served at "the table," but you gotta pay for the new on-campus hoops facility somehow.

Congrats to UC, a good thing for the BE b/c they're one of the schools best situated to become a national power. Hopefully Kelly keeps it going and turns this into a recruiting boost.

Wannstedt beat WVU again. I don't think he's a very good coach, but he seems to be amassing enough talent all at once to start winning games. Hopefully the BE has another solid bowl showing.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Royals

Post by Royals »

And to top it off, Kiffin is going to Tennessee and it sounds like Kelly is staying at UC, this is easily the best 7 day stretch in UC football histroy. Now, if the school will get cracking on that indoor practice facility, that will help ensure he sticks around longer and give him another (albeit minor) chip in recruiting.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I wouldn't get too excited about Kelly....

From CollegeFootballTalk.com
We don’t know yet whether Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly is really going to leave to become the next head coach at Notre Dame. But we do know there are people close to the Cincinnati football program who think Kelly is gone.

We’re hearing that people connected to the Cincinnati program think that a deal is already in place for Kelly to coach Notre Dame. There’s even talk about who will lead the football program in its bowl game, which will be a BCS bowl thanks to Cincinnati winning the Big East.

Overall, the mood at Cincinnati is that it’s hard to celebrate a conference championship when you think the coach who got you there is about to bolt.

Of course, Charlie Weis does still have the Notre Dame job, and if he can pull off a miracle upset at USC tonight, all of that talk that Weis is on the way out will disappear. But for now, Weis is in serious jeopardy of being fired, and Kelly appears to be the favorite to replace him.
It certainly makes sense.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Anything could happen, but ND is a freakin trainwreck. No matter what, there are going to be rumors around Kelly, he's a good coach and one of the hottest names in coaching. Kelly was supposedly the favorite for Tennessee too, if he declined the Tennessee job (and it's not clear what happened there as of now) then I don't think he'll leave this season.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Kelly isn't going anywhere...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3739515
Kelly acknowledged that other schools had expressed an interest in him, but said he's not interested in leaving.

"All I can say is that with all the speculation and all the jobs that have been out there, sooner or later 'no' means 'no," Kelly said. "Again, no one can ever speak in terms of forever and ever, but what I can tell you is there's been a lot of interest in my services, and I want to be here at the University of Cincinnati because of the right reasons."

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”