Off-Season Evaluation - SP

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Off-Season Evaluation - SP

Post by Royals »

Off-Season Evaluation

This is the first in a series of position by position examinations of where I see my team being and where I might go with it. I'll grade each position on Youth, Productivity and Health on a 1-5 scale (1 being poor, 3 average, 5 great) and give a final rating 1-5 on whether it's a position or player I'd be likely to move over the offseason (1 is least likely to be moved, 5 meaning I definitely want an upgrade)

So, without further ado…

Starting Pitching

#1 Brandon Webb — RHP — They don't get much better right now than Webb. He's been one of the top pitchers in baseball for several years with a filthy sinker and nice slider. Just as important, he's been an absolute horse. There are 2-3 pitchers I'd take over Webb if pressed, but probably not by much (a pity one of them is in the ALBeast). He's unlikely to go anywhere unless someone drops a bucketload of talent in my lap and I couldn't be happier to have him.
Youth - 4
Productivity - 5
Health — 5
ALBeast Comp - 2d (behind Santana)
Movability — 1

#2 Josh Beckett — RHP — When Beckett is healthy, he's a guy I'd take over Webb. Obviously though, he's had his share of injury issues over the years, including this season. His blister problems were infamous, though the Sox seem to have dealt with those effectively. In the grand scheme he hasn't missed much more time than most pitchers. When health, he's a true Ace. He's a #1 on most teams and I'm lucky to have him as my #2.
Youth - 4
Productivity - 4
Health — 2
ALBeast Comp -2d (close behind Kazmir)
Movability — 2

#3 Jeremy Guthrie — RHP — Guthrie is someone who, I have to admit, I didn't have a ton of faith in coming into the season. I think part of that is a general disdain for the Orioles (mostly due to Angelos) but he had a great season pitching on the weakest team in the toughest division in baseball and if you can't appreciate that, then you're a damn fool. Guthrie is far from being a true Ace and doesn't have the stuff to ever be that good, but he's still going to be a #1 on a lot of teams.
Youth - 4
Productivity - 4
Health — 4
ALBeast Comp - 1st
Movability — 3

#4 Mark Buehrle — LHP — Here is a guy who never gets enough credit. He seems to get passed back and forth between Nils and I since we're arguably his two biggest fans in the league. He's a lefty, a GB pitcher and he's very durable. Most years he's a solid #2 pitcher and this season was no exception (that was a couple seasons ago). There aren't many teams that can boast a better #4.
Youth - 4
Productivity - 4
Health — 5
ALBeast Comp - 1st
Movability — 3

#5 TBA There are a lot of candidates for this role next year, most of whom I'm pretty excited about. Several young prospects made big league debuts this year, notably RHP's Michael Bowden and Ryan Tucker. Tyler Robertson didn't make it to the Bigs, but will be knocking on the door soon. The favorite at this point for the #5 is almost certainly Michael Bowden who decimated AA Portland and put up a strong showing in Boston. Ryan Tucker had more time in Florida, but didn't perform as well. I typically go with a 4 or 4.5 man rotation so this is a less important role than most #5's, but I'm still excited about these guys.
Youth - 5
Productivity - ?
Health — 3
ALBeast Comp - ?
Movability — 3

To sum up, the rotation is definitely a strength for this team. All the SP's are younger than I am (I'm 29) and I've got a couple guys I'm very excited about coming up. Beckett is a potential durability issue, but the others are very durable and the four guys leading the rotation are all well above average for where they slot in. No one is immovable (not even Webb), but as almost everyone knows, I'm not likely to move a SP unless I get an upgrade at SP or a significant upgrade elsewhere (with the former being far more likely than the latter).

Youth - 4
Productivity - 4
Health — 4
ALBeast Comp - T-1st
Movability — 2

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”