Telling someone you invented basketball... Priceless!

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Telling someone you invented basketball... Priceless!

Post by Royals »

So, I'm talking with my classmate about the Celtics resurgence and he brings up how he always liked Bird and it basically turned into a Celtics lovefest, even though he's a Pacers fan.
Then my other classmate comes over and starts getting kind of belligerent about the Celts and New England sports in general. He starts getting on me about how rarely I talked about the C's when the Pats were playing (uhm, duh, the Pats were a bigger story and I prefer football to basketball, plus no one around here wants to talk sports with a New England fan) and how now I'm talkign like I know everything about basketball (which I wasn't, about baseball I get like that, basketball I couldn't even begin to fake it)
Then he says "You act like you invented the freaking sport!"
I pause... "You mean me specifically?"
Him: "No! You freakin New Englanders! All of you!"
Me: "Uhm, well, we did. Basketball was invented in Springfield, MA"
*pause*
Him: "Fuck you!"
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

But as James Nasmith said, basketball may have been born in Massachusetts, but it grew up in Indiana
Royals

Post by Royals »

Doesn't matter, it's still one of the single funniest things I've ever seen. Especially being able to say it to a guy who recently jumped on the Yankees bandwagon and justified it by saying he once worked in NYC for 3 months.
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

To piggy-back on Bren's exchange, check this out:

So I I'm late for for work today and the parking garage is full. Fortunately my building provides free valet service if the garage is full. So I give them my keys rather than continue looking for a spot. Good deal.

As I'm leaving work for the day and approach my car, I see a lady putting a note on my windshield. I ask her if I can help her. She starts bitching about my parking job and how she has to climb into her vehicle on the passenger side because I'm parked too close to her. Before I can say a word, she rants about how "attitude assholes" such as myself feel like we can do whatever we want and have no regard for other others. Which I find as kind of funny.

I ask her how she feels I'm an "attitude asshole". She says that my nice car shows my attitude. I tell her my '99 Mustang is actually just a 6-cylinder that other Mustang owners snub their noses at and I bought it five years ago for just over $10k, very modest for a car, period.

I then tell her that I've had to climb into my car in our garage via the passenger's window more times then I can count. The parking spots aren't huge. I then point out that she has parked her SUV in a spot marked as "compact", and asked her if she expected people to leave the space next to her open simply because they should instinctively cater to her desires. And she says with an attitude that she'd have more respect than me in choosing a parking spot.

I then have the pleasure of informing her that the valet employees parked my car and not me. Was she apologetic? Or at minimum at least speechless and just walked away? No. Get this, and I'm not joking:

Her response, again with the same white-trash attitude:

"Well maybe if you got here earlier in the morning we wouldn't have had to gone through this!"

The highest of unintentional comedy. I guess some people just need chaos in their lives, even if they have to create it for themselves.
Royals

Post by Royals »

The temptation to key an SUV parked in a compact spot is always a difficult one for me to resist...
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

How about throwing a big gulp soda into the convertable that's top is open and its also parked diagonally across two spaces. Yes.. tempting indeed.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

if somebody keyed my car over parking in the wrong space i would find a way to slash your bike tires. throwing soda or something on exterior is one thing, actually going out of your way to vandalize somebody's property because of a parking spot is ridiculous. that should not be tempting in the least bit.

are you going to key my car if I park in the "Customer with Infant Parking" spaces???
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Throwing soda on the INTERIOR son.. the INTERIOR.. heh.

a nice orange julius works too.. dont forget extra banana and egg
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Reds wrote:Throwing soda on the INTERIOR son.. the INTERIOR.. heh.

a nice orange julius works too.. dont forget extra banana and egg
i know, i was referring to a convo i had with shawn how a soda tossing on the outside of it may be appropriate. throwing shit inside is also ridiculous. could damage seats, electronics etc. if there were cameras and somebody ever did that to me, i would go out of my way to make you guys pay for keying my car or ruining my interior :lol:
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

Pirates wrote:are you going to key my car if I park in the "Customer with Infant Parking" spaces???
If I saw some young college or HS student park in one of those spaces and there clearly wasn't an infant then I would be equally tempted. Ditto handicapped parking. Some people are first rate self-absorbed assholes when it comes to their cars. My roommate had to call the police on multiple occasions to get cars towed that had parked in front of our driveway so we couldn't get out (it even happened once where we couldn't get in to our own driveway). She has great video footage of one such occasion where the guy came back mid-ticket/tow and tried to say he'd only been there 5 minutes (he had parked there overnight) and tried to bribe both the cop and the tow operator.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Bren Dillon: Vandalizing vigilante. Helping soccer moms everywhere! Coming to a city near you!
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

There's a difference between having the temptation to do something and acting on it like a self-absorbed cow who thinks that the rules don't apply to you.
Astros

Post by Astros »

And vandalizing someone's car is the way to go about it. Right. If someone did that to my truck (not that i ever park in inappropriate places), I'd beat the shit outta them
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

RedSox wrote:There's a difference between having the temptation to do something and acting on it like a self-absorbed cow who thinks that the rules don't apply to you.
I hope you've never brought too many items to the express line, either.

I don't see how having a 4 year old gets you a primo parking spot, but hey, that's just me. I don't think it's a fineable offense to park in those spots.

What if the person who parked there were elderly and it was a chilly wintry day? Snow, sleet, etc., but not handicapped? And they took the 'motherhood' spot? You gonna go key granny's car because she doesn't want a 5th hip replacement?

If I ever see a bicycle not in it's proper place, I'm gonna slash it's tires! yeah! That'll teach 'em to leave it against a building! :roll:
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

JP, it's the store's right to offer premium parking spots to customers based on their values, whether that's compact vehicles, mothers of infants or the elderly. Just because you THINK you're in a rush or you're lazy and don't want to walk halfway down the aisle doesn't give you the right to ignore the store's rules.

Aaron, you missed the point 9and reinforced my own actually), but that's nothing new.
Astros

Post by Astros »

You're advocating vandalizing property. What if an old lady forgets to put her handicap sticker on her rearview mirror? What if someone has a broken leg and doesn't have a temporary sticker? Key their cars anyway? Cause to hell with them for forgetting or for breaking their leg
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

RedSox wrote:JP, it's the store's right to offer premium parking spots to customers based on their values, whether that's compact vehicles, mothers of infants or the elderly. Just because you THINK you're in a rush or you're lazy and don't want to walk halfway down the aisle doesn't give you the right to ignore the store's rules.

Aaron, you missed the point 9and reinforced my own actually), but that's nothing new.
Did I say I parked in those places? And you didn't properly address my issues.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

my friend actually used to use one of his parents handicap sign on his car so he could park up front, and then one day a cop watched him leave and waited for him to come back and he got busted lol
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

It's amazing, and quite amusing, that this league can a thread with two funny stories into an argument. It's sensational - almost mind-blowing.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Royals wrote:It's amazing, and quite amusing, that this league can a thread with two funny stories into an argument. It's sensational - almost mind-blowing.
I guess we should all just hug it out, nod and agree.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

Cardinals wrote:You're advocating vandalizing property. What if an old lady forgets to put her handicap sticker on her rearview mirror? What if someone has a broken leg and doesn't have a temporary sticker? Key their cars anyway? Cause to hell with them for forgetting or for breaking their leg
No Aaron, what I'm saying is the temptation exists (for a wannabe teacher your reading comprehension is atrocious). Just as the temptation exists to park in the compact parking spot. Resisting the selfish, self-absorbed, me-first, above-the-rules mentality that such people exhibit is the important distinction. Do you understand that, or do I have to draw you a diagram?
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I must say Bren, you continue to be very entertaining.

I did check out your blog the other night, and after seeing all your pictures, I now fully understand why you are so bold and tough on the message boards. And if it's needed, yes, I can draw you a diagram of what I mean.

Keep up the good work Bren......
Royals

Post by Royals »

Congratulations, you've discovered that only short people are opinionated, passionate or outspoken. Well done.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Just reminded me of the Wizard of Oz......the voice, when hidden and safe, was so much bolder than the little man that was discovered behind the curtain.

That's all.

Continue on...
Royals

Post by Royals »

Ha. You can ask Nils if you want, I'm just as opinionated and outspoken in person.

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”