Perspective

Bren Dillon's blog

Moderator: Angels

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Perspective

Post by Royals »

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... p_Emailed2
I generally dislike Shaughnessy's work. I'll never forgive him for propagating the mythical rhymes-with-purse-of-the-bambino. But he's dead on here. Last sunday was a tough loss, it was disappointing, it was shocking, it sucked... but it wasn't really that bad for a Boston sports fan. I have uncles who cried themselves to sleep in 1986. 2003 left Sox fans borderline distraught (and going down 0-3 to the Yankees in '04 left me depressed to a degree I can't adequately describe before Pope Papi and Saint Roberts and crew turned it all around).
So what's my point? I don't suppose I really have one... but it's my blog soi don't really need to have one.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

If the 86 Sox make you feel better, go for it.

For 18 games, the Pats were the best team of all time according to many fans. Now the fans are scrambling to make sense of the comments that they've been making for so long.....
Royals

Post by Royals »

To pretend you have the slightest idea how Pats fans feel about the lass last weekend is the height of arrogance. Though I've noticed that the people doing most of that here are pitiful yankees fans looking for an excuse to boost themselves up again, so arrogance is all that's really expected there.
You all expect us to be devastated, like we should be pounding our chests shouting "Lord, o Lord why hast thou forsaken me?" and we're not. We've been blessed with a lot of success lately, to lament not having even greater success like it's some sort of travesty... what's the point? Sorry to burst your bubble, but it isn't and we're not.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I've listened to you talk all season long about how great the Pats are. Ever since the loss, you've spent all your time attempting to explain how the loss is not that big of a deal.

I thoroughly enjoy reading all your comments.

Please, continue to bash me and everybody else......it's one of the most entertaining things I read everyday. LOL
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

You're comparing fucking apples to oranges. You cannot compare many years of the Red Sox losing to a single game the Patriots lost. This is the most ludicrous argument and with your response I can now see that in reality you're blistering under the skin, waiting to explode. But you're putting on the tough guy face so that we all don't mock you like we should be doing. I swear to god you've done a complete 180 since the Pats lost that game. You (Bostonites/fans) thought you were the greatest things on earth and that nothing could touch you, your shit didn't stink. Then the Giants fucked you up and now you are saying you never thought you were that great and that winning didn't mean shit to you. If it didn't mean anything to you, then you wouldn't brag like a piece of shit when the Patriots did anything. You can't exalt the dynasty one day and deny its existence the next.
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

just read it and laugh, that's what I do. you have to remember that logic and boston fans, bren especially, usually have nothing to do with each other. they got exactly what was coming to them, and watching them feign indifference just makes more hysterical.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I have let it go for the most part. But seeing his response to Shawn L, I know he's boiling now, if he wants to keep bringing this wound up, I'm going to help with the salt...
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Bren, you may feel differently but don't say Boston Fans. I watched the Super Bowl with 40 pats fans and the looks on their face when they lost was priceless. They looked like they were in complete shock and wanted to cry. (Ask Seth) I didn't heckle you and JP but theres a lot of Boston fans that wouldn't leave me alone after this past year or after the 0-3 comeback. And everytime I said to them 18-1 all i got in response was I don't care and its not a big deal. Some fans even told me in their mind that the Pats are still number 1. So to say that we don't know how pats fans feel, believe me I know.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Shawn, I'm sure you and Z would LOVE to think that we pats fans are devastated, but I don't know any who are or were (aside perhaps from JP, but he's a special case). You're also completely distorting everything I've said, but that's not a surprise at all.
"now you are saying you never thought you were that great" When did I ever say that? Or anything even CLOSE to that? I don't expect an answer because I know you don't have the balls to admit I never said that or anything like it.
"that winning didn't mean shit to you" - I also never said that. Losing that game sucked. As I said in another post, this was the first time I expected the pats to win the SB. but that doesn't mean I'm heartbroken or devastated over it as I'm sure you wish I and other pats fans were.
There are two huge points here that you're missing.
1. As I said above, we've had an embarrassment of riches of late in Boston, more sports luck than we could have ever rationally expected to have. It's not as though this was our first superbowl in the last ten years. I don't expect the Pats to win every year, though this team gives us cause to expect them to do well. Boston fans aren't like NY fans, who EXPECT a title every year.
2. We've been through worse. Sorry, but this doesn't compare to '86 or '03... not even close. Those were opportunities to end decades of loss, events that. Apples and oranges? Game 6 of 86 was one game. Game 7 in 2003 was one game. The Superbowl was one game. Hmmm... apple... apple... apple... where are these oranges? Again, not surprising that you can't understand this since you're... hey, wow, a Yankees and Niners fan... gosh, I bet you never hopped on a bandwagon in your life did you? I'm sure you'll come up with an excuse for that though, bandwagon fans always do, like the bozo in my class who was cheering for the Yankees this past fall because he worked in NY for 3 months...
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Bren i can guarantee you 90% of pats fans were devastated.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brewers wrote:Bren, you may feel differently but don't say Boston Fans. I watched the Super Bowl with 40 pats fans and the looks on their face when they lost was priceless. They looked like they were in complete shock and wanted to cry. (Ask Seth) I didn't heckle you and JP but theres a lot of Boston fans that wouldn't leave me alone after this past year or after the 0-3 comeback. And everytime I said to them 18-1 all i got in response was I don't care and its not a big deal. Some fans even told me in their mind that the Pats are still number 1. So to say that we don't know how pats fans feel, believe me I know.
I'm sure I had that same look of shock on my face that night. I know I kept glancing back at the score in disbelief. That's what happens right after the moment. The next day, you get a little... what's the word? oh yes... perspective... and you don't worry about it so much.
You say 18-1... what do you want them to say back? Do you expect them to break down in tears? Please... pats fans... long time Pats fans... are more used to being mocked and disappointment than most NFL fans.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Pretty hard to be a bandwagon fan when you're 6 years old and don't even know the meaning of 'bandwagon'.
However, if you'd like to bash me over a decision I made 15 years ago, feel free.

I feel like I've already answered your entire post and it's because I already did in the other thread. You SHOULD be heartbroken and the fact that you aren't raises some major red flags for me.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Y'know, i realized something, I suppose Shawn CAN appreciate what it means to REALLY have a devastating loss since the Yankees CHOKED in 4 consecutive games, failing to put away what had looked like a lackluster Red Sox team in 2004. 4 straight games, 4 huge chokes. Ouch.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

When they (I don't do it personally) say 18-1 they want you to feel the same thing when you say 2004 or 2001 to Yankee fans.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Dodgers wrote:Pretty hard to be a bandwagon fan when you're 6 years old and don't even know the meaning of 'bandwagon'.
However, if you'd like to bash me over a decision I made 15 years ago, feel free.

I feel like I've already answered your entire post and it's because I already did in the other thread. You SHOULD be heartbroken and the fact that you aren't raises some major red flags for me.
I'm not a Yankee fan, I'm not heartbroken every time the team I like doesn't win a title, no matter how heavily favored they are.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Bren the classiest thing i saw all super bowl weekend was when fans were chanting Yankees suck the entire superbowl.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Dodgers wrote:When they (I don't do it personally) say 18-1 they want you to feel the same thing when you say 2004 or 2001 to Yankee fans.
Just to let you know, it's not 2004, or 2001 (what would that mean?).
It's YEAR TWO THOUSAND (honestly, one of the dumbest chants ever, IMO and I wish something else would catch on)
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brewers wrote:Bren the classiest thing i saw all super bowl weekend was when fans were chanting Yankees suck the entire superbowl.
Didn't you mention being at a bar? And you're surprised? You want CLASS in a Bar? That's like complaining that the people who call into talk radio are morons.

*edit* But they're right, the Yankees do suck
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

actually no i was never in a bar.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Hmm, must have been a different IBCer. Oh well. The Yankees still suck (since you brought it up).
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

thats fine, and it doesnt bother me that you say that, but the fact that thats all people can come up with during the superbowl is classless in my mind.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Brewers wrote:thats fine, and it doesnt bother me that you say that, but the fact that thats all people can come up with during the superbowl is classless in my mind.
I'd call it lazy or unoriginal more than anything.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

RedSox wrote: Though I've noticed that the people doing most of that here are pitiful yankees fans looking for an excuse to boost themselves up again, so arrogance is all that's really expected there.
I guess its the same for Pats fans.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Bren, if Shawn is a bandwagon fan, then why would he still be a 49er fan? Why would he still root for a 4-12 team that plays on the opposite coast and is never on TV? Wouldn't he have jumped off the bandwagon? A bandwagon fan only supports a team when they're good. He's a Yankees fan? Okay well he is from CT, and that is a local team. Ain't like he's a Yankee fan living in Oklahoma or something
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Oklahoma would be understandable because of the Commerce Comet.

Return to “Whale's Vagina Monologue”