Pineda

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Pineda

Post by DBacks »

It sure looks like he was cheating to me. What say you, IBC?
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

Maybe he just has a case of shwettty palms?
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Sure looks like he had something on his hand...perhaps "dirt." But I can't be too mad. Buchholz used rosin last year the same way. I'm sure Pineda just wanted to come out strong vs. a rival in a big start at Yankee Stadium. I would bet most pitchers use something.

http://tinypic.com/r/294sc36/8
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

For me the shocking part isn't that he was using something, but that it's become so common you apparently don't even have to hide it.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Cubs wrote:For me the shocking part isn't that he was using something, but that it's become so common you apparently don't even have to hide it.
Agree. It's one of those unwritten rules usurp the written rules things in baseball. Pretty good summary here:

http://deadspin.com/michael-pineda-was- ... 1562155548

Love the guy using sunscreen. At night. In a dome. But, seriously, pitchers need an advantage. Every pitcher in baseball is on pace to have Tommy John this year. Gotta get outs while you can.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

The funny part is that is was so blatantly obvious that there was something on his palm. At the very least these pitchers could get somewhat creative in what they are using and where they are hiding it.

And to Pat G's point...good, it is no fun being the guy saddled with all the TJ arms. :wink:
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Kenny Rogers in the 2006 World Series, that cheating fucker Bucholz last year. It happens. I'm sure I'd pull an Eddie Harris too, rub some jalapeño up my nose
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I see nothing wrong.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Nationals wrote:I see nothing wrong.
haha...of course not
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

I am more shocked by the redsox players quotes then the fact he had pinetar on his hands.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Ok, so apparently pine tar is the reason he has success. Twice against the same team? Cheater and an idiot, too.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

An idiot yes, but don't be naive to think that nobody else does it, especially the Red Sox pitchers.
RedSox
Name: Patrick Tullar

Post by RedSox »

Is that 10 games in the IBC as well?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Rockies wrote:An idiot yes, but don't be naive to think that nobody else does it, especially the Red Sox pitchers.
Oh, I'm not. I said the first time I thought most pitchers do something. At least they're not as stupid about it. That's my knock on him.
Pirates

Post by Pirates »

Fair enough, he is a complete and utter moron.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Red Sox need to be very careful throwing stones in a glass house. We all know most pitchers use something (especially Red Sox pitchers), especially in cold games. You know the Yankees are going to have half a dozen interns staring at TV monitors during each game now.

Cashner will probably be taking Pineda's rotation spot soon, so I don't really care what kind of suspension he gets.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Also just want to say I'm not too upset about Pineda having his start shortened and possibly missing another start or 2. He pitched well his last couple starts, but coming back from a shoulder injury, I'm a bit worried about him throwing so much in cold weather (warm up god damn it, it's May next week). I'd rather see him take it easy until summer and then start rebuilding strength. I'm fairly confident by August he'll be hitting 95 occasionally on the gun.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

I got the sense that Farrell wouldn't raise a stink if he at least tried to hide it. I think his hands were kind of tied with this one. While I agree with what everyone seems to be saying that this is a lot more common than people probably realize, when is the last time that you saw someone do it so blatantly?
Tigers

Post by Tigers »

Hey, batters get to use pine tar in order to get a better grip on the bat......maybe we shouldn't let batters use pine tar anymore? Even things up.

Yes, Pineda is a dumbass. There is no way Farrell wasn't going to jump on this the second the teams video crew or whoever saw the pine tar on Pineda's neck. It's not like the Red Sox haven't had their own little issues with "foreign substances" and pitchers. It is Yankees vs Red Sox.....it is a rivalry. Farrell is going to do anything he can to win.

Anyways, no big deal. Pitchers cheat. Hitters cheat. Dumbasses get caught! Moving on........
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Mariners wrote:Hey, batters get to use pine tar in order to get a better grip on the bat......maybe we shouldn't let batters use pine tar anymore? Even things up.

Yes, Pineda is a dumbass. There is no way Farrell wasn't going to jump on this the second the teams video crew or whoever saw the pine tar on Pineda's neck. It's not like the Red Sox haven't had their own little issues with "foreign substances" and pitchers. It is Yankees vs Red Sox.....it is a rivalry. Farrell is going to do anything he can to win.

Anyways, no big deal. Pitchers cheat. Hitters cheat. Dumbasses get caught! Moving on........
This was Mike & Mike's argument this morning. I get it, but don't completely buy it. I don't think all you get is a "grip" when applying substances. I think you get an inch run one way or another and that makes a difference. Holding a bat tighter doesn't make you hit better.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Tigers wrote:
Mariners wrote:Hey, batters get to use pine tar in order to get a better grip on the bat......maybe we shouldn't let batters use pine tar anymore? Even things up.

This was Mike & Mike's argument this morning. I get it, but don't completely buy it. I don't think all you get is a "grip" when applying substances. I think you get an inch run one way or another and that makes a difference. Holding a bat tighter doesn't make you hit better.
Nobody applies enough pine tar to get run on their pitches from gyroscopic effects. It's strictly for more grip. It's the difference between snapping off a breaking ball with authority and letting it "pop" out of your hand and hanging the pitch dick high.

When hitting, it's being able to grip the bat hard enough to torque with your hands so you can whip the bat through the zone easier. I think it was Mark McGwire I recently heard say that when hitting, you drive with your top hand and steer with your bottom hand. Takes a decent amount of grip to do that correctly.
Tigers

Post by Tigers »

Tigers wrote:

So you are going to tell me that if the bat slips out of your hand you can hit just as well as if you have a tight grip on the bat? Come on. You ever play golf with clubs that have shitty grips? Try and hit a golf ball with clubs that have worn out, slick grips and then hit a ball with clubs that have been re-gripped recently. Huge difference.

Yes, a foreign substance on the ball can make the ball move differently. If the bat doesn't slip in your hands you can hit the ball better. I would have to imagine all foreign substances, though, are not created equal when it comes to how they make the ball act. Slap a glob of KY Jelly on the ball like ol' Eddie Harris used to do and you get a Bugs Bunny sinker. Rub some pine tar on the side of a bal and what effect does it have? Shit, I don't know, but I can't imagine it impacts it as much as a glob of KY? Maybe it does.

Anyways....the point being. Pitchers cheat. Hitters cheat. Dumbasses get caught.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Did anyone else notice that it seemed like Farrell went out and told the ump point blank (my lip reading is usually pretty good) that he has it all over his neck, then the ump goes out and checks the glove and his hands first? I thought that was pretty clever to pretend like he didn't know where to look as Pineda tried to hide it (by twisting his neck as he spun around).
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Pretty sure half the stadium knew Pineda had it on his neck. We all know people are going to bend the rules, but this is just sad at how blatant it was. Like how long did he think he would get away with it...the rest of his already poor outing?

Baseball tonight had that story last night and basically said on cold nights any of the catchers would have a little pine tar on their shin pads to scuff the ball, yet this idiot smears it on the side of his neck. Atleast be somewhat creative, everyone knows the skin should be off limits, and under the bill of a cap or on the glove are going to be questionable too. Why not try a smear on your belt.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Angels wrote:Pretty sure half the stadium knew Pineda had it on his neck. We all know people are going to bend the rules, but this is just sad at how blatant it was. Like how long did he think he would get away with it...the rest of his already poor outing?

Baseball tonight had that story last night and basically said on cold nights any of the catchers would have a little pine tar on their shin pads to scuff the ball, yet this idiot smears it on the side of his neck. Atleast be somewhat creative, everyone knows the skin should be off limits, and under the bill of a cap or on the glove are going to be questionable too. Why not try a smear on your belt.
Maybe he did it to escape his poor outing :wink:

Return to “The Cub Hub”