post-season shootout

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

post-season shootout

Post by DBacks »

The site I play fantasy football on is having a post-season contest with a $50,000 first prize. I decided to reinvest some of my winnings this season and join the fun and was curious if any football fans wanted to lend their opinions on lineup choices.

You get a 10 man roster. 2 QBs, 1 K, 1 D, 2 RB, 2 WR/TE, 2 FLEX

You set your lineup before the playoff starts and you're locked into that lineup for the whole contest. You can take a max of two players per NFL team, so you can't load up on Broncos or 49ers or anything.

Peyton is pretty much a must-have, but other than that it leaves a lot of room for creativity.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Cool concept. Gotta go Peyton and maybe one of Foles/Brady, depending on who you think goes deep into the playoffs.
I like Charles, Lynch, Seattle D, Green, I dunno about WR2...no one stands out to me. Graham/Gates, depending on which team you think survives the first round. Maybe Gore as a flex?
Not a lot of sexy fantasy players in the playoffs.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Frank Gore is a must IMO
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Not so sure on Gore, anything can happen in the cold next week. Also think you should avoid Graham, NO on road is a 1 and done risk. Hard to argue against Gostkowski. Seattle D is another good bet I think.
Pirates
Name: Jake Levine

Post by Pirates »

Me and JP did something similar to this a few years back. You had to to fill the positions 2QB\3WR\3RB\1TE 1 Flex(Could be QB) and you could only pick 1 person from each team. The key was getting the QB who you think will play the most games. (eli was the guy that year since he was the only QB to play 4games.)
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

My first go through looked like this -

QB - Peyton Manning
QB - Kap
RB - Charles
RB - McCoy
WR - D. Thomas
WR - A.J. Green
FL1 - Lynch
FL2 - ? Gore? I don't know.
K - Gostkowski
D - Seattle
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Don't agree with Kaep, too likely that they crash out in divisional round at Seattle/Carolina
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Obviously I could be wrong, but I don't see Eagles beating the Saints. So I love using Brees/Graham. I'm also all in on the Broncos. A minority pick for me is GB > SF. It's a really tough format though.

QB - Peyton
QB - Brees
RB - Charles
RB - Lynch
WR - D. Thomas
WR - Jordy
FL1 - Graham
FL2 - Edleman/Lacy
K - Gostkowski
D - Seattle
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Cubs wrote:My first go through looked like this -

QB - Peyton Manning
QB - Kap
RB - Charles
RB - McCoy
WR - D. Thomas
WR - A.J. Green
FL1 - Lynch
FL2 - ? Gore? I don't know.
K - Gostkowski
D - Seattle
Duh...forgot about Thomas. I'm down on Kap, too, but if he survives GB, he's a good bet. Tough not to go Brady, though. He's got at least two games in him and he'll put up the numbers. Shady's good, too, but Philly is so hit or miss.
Astros

Post by Astros »

I wouldn't use Charles. KC is 1-5 against playoff teams, I don't think they win in Indy Saturday
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

It probably doesn't matter to anyone but me, but here's an update on the contest so far.

My strategy going in was to decide who I thought the final four teams would be, and then take two players from each of them for my roster. That way I'd have 8 of my 10 players active for Conference Championship week, and I'd be guaranteed to have 4 guys playing in the Super Bowl no matter how the games played out.

With that in mind, I constructed my roster like this -

QB1 Peyton Manning DEN
QB2 Colin Kaepernick SF
RB1 LeSean McCoy PHI
RB2 Frank Gore SF
WR1 Demarius Thomas WR DEN
WR2 DeSean Jackson PHI
FL1 Marshawn Lynch SEA
FL2 Julian Edelman NE
K Gostkowski NE
D Seattle Seahawks

I went with the theory that the final four would be NE vs DEN, and SEA vs SF, so that worked out. I decided to also take two PHI players in case the Eagles beat the Saints, because that would have forced SF and SEA to play a round earlier and thus destroy my plans.

The top 200 in the contest get paid. You also get a $125 bonus for winning your league. (Everyone is split into groups of 20.)

I'm currently in 178th place with 185.45 points. My league leader has 235.85. The overall leader has 292.75.

Only 5 guys ahead of me in the top 200 have 8 players remaining like I do, so I feel like I can make up some serious ground if Denver and SF make the Super Bowl.

Everyone who played the Andrew Luck/T.Y. Hilton combo built a huge lead. I'm really pissed I missed out on them, and that at the last minute I let NE's RBBC scare me out of Blount and into picking Edelman.
Astros

Post by Astros »

Just imagine if the refs decided to call tripping or pass interference on New England late in the game, the Hilton/Luck guys might have had a shot to wrap it up this weekend
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

UPDATE

If Peyton Manning had put up any points at all, I would have made some serious money. Instead, I finished 12th, just a few spots out of the top 10 where the real money starts. I was 4 points out of the top 10. Damn you Peyton!!!!

I finished with 404.80 points. LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson ended up being the bad picks. I entered Super Bowl weekend in 37th place, and having the Seattle D turned out to be huge. Not many people had them. The majority of the guys in the contest were on the 49ers D.

Despite the disappointing finish, money is money and I'm happy with the results. 10 K would have been nicer, but whatever.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

How much did you end up with?
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

$1625. Not a bad payday, but I was hoping for more.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Cubs wrote:$1625. Not a bad payday, but I was hoping for more.
Not a bad payday at all. How much was it to enter?
DBacks

Post by DBacks »

I think one team was $120 and the combo special was three teams for $300.

Return to “The Cub Hub”