watchmen

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

watchmen

Post by DBacks »

Has anyone else read the graphic novel?

It truly is a masterpiece. I have tickets to see it in IMAX this weekend, but I really have no idea how they are going to pull this off... How in the world is this going to be a good movie and stay true to the source material? Its hard for me to believe someone could do both of those things.

I am excited to see how they handle the Squid, and to see if they allow the ending to be as dark as it is in the book. I'm excited and terrfied about this all at the same time.

Anyone else a fan?
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I haven't read the books, but my brother is a huge fan who's prepped me for the movie. I'm guessing that they'll do it like V for Vendetta and simplify the story, so it'll be enjoyable but not as in-depth as the book, because really that would be impossible.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I loved the graphic novel, and it sounds like Snyder brought the same sort of enthusiasm to this film as Jackson brought to LotR. the fact that it's 3 hours long (the Director's cut is supposed to be 4) and rated R bodes very well for it, IMO.
I haven't been this excited for a comic book movie since X-Men 3, though that was arguably the biggest letdown ever. God that movie SUCKED...
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

I got a chance to see this last night. I never read the novel but I did know about the story and the characters going in, and while this movie wasn't terrible, and there's some cool scenes, it was nothing special. In fact when I left the theater my only response was, meh. Maybe it's because the show started at midnight so by 2:30 I was squirming. don't normally have a problem with long movies, but this one really starts to drag on. With that said, for a 2:45 minute movie, there wasn't nearly enough cool action scenes as I was expecting (the fighting peaks in the first scene). I know that's not the point of the story to just be an action flick, but between the commercials and the fact that Zack Snyder directed I was expecting a little more in that department. Other than Jackie Earl Haley who was good as Rorschach, the rest of the cast all lacked charisma. I'm told it was as true to the original novel as it could be without being 5 hours, so I'm sure fans of the book will like a little more than I did. All in all I give the movie a C+. You could tell Snyder was trying to make the story and the characters as epic a he could, but in my opinion falls short. I'd recommend seeing it, but only once.
Royals

Post by Royals »

I really enjoyed it, and I think to really enjoy it, you have to have read the book. It's not something you can go see when you're a little tired or burned out, there's a lot of plot to pick up on, especially in the opening credits.
The lack of violence wasn't all that surprising since the graphic novel wasn't all that violent, it was more detective story than action story, but the level of gore and general graphicness when the occasion presented it was a little surprising.
I think the actors were very well cast for the roles, they're not generally over-the-top personalities, but again, that's not something people are going to be accustomed to or expecting coming from a comic book movie.
As someone who read and enjoyed the book, I'd give it an A- (the change to the ending was unfortunate). If I hadn't read the book or if I was looking for more of an action movie, I could understand people giving it a C to B grade depending on your expectations.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

C+/B-. Didn't read the novel, but was pretty bored by the movie. I don't think it was BAD, but it just didn't do anything for me.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I'm still mulling the movie over, but overall I enjoyed it. However, I think you almost HAVE to have read and loved the novel to enjoy it. My girlfriend hasn't read it and she liked it okay...but she just wasn't able to pick up on a lot of the things you don't understand without having knowledge of it beforehand.

The change to the end really bothered me at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I accepted it. Thinking about it now, I get why they did it.

All that being said, I hated pretty much all the girls in the movie. Both Silk Spectres were really, really miscast. Laurie is supposed to be sexy, not a smushy lego-face. And, Laure is a whiner and a complainer...that's her thing...and it seems to have been eliminated from the movie...I guess they decided having a main character that annoying wasn't a good idea.

The guys however were mostly dead on. Jackie Earl Haley in particular was amazing. Patrick Wilson nailed Nite Owl, too. Matthew Goode as Adrian was a little weird sometimes, but overall he seemed to get it. I'm disappointed they cut out so much of his backstory. It's kind of important when you're talking about the villain. You ended up knowing the least about him.

Oh, and the music selection was awful. Even the ones from the book were used in what seemed like the wrong places.

Anyway, if you've read the novel spend the money, if you haven't then don't. The 4 hour director's cut is supposed to hit theatres this summer before coming out on DVD and Blu-ray.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Thanks for picking up on something I meant to... the music was awful. Bridge over Troubled Water for a funeral? Wow, that was original! And Hallelujah during the sex scene? Were we supposed to be laughing? Because i was, and so were others in the theater and other people that I know that saw it at other showings. last time I heard that song in a movie was in Shrek and it wasn't sexy.
The more I think about it, the more I realize this was a movie that was made for fans of the book, in some ways, the ultimate comicbook movie. I'm really looking forward to the director's cut, glad it's getting a theatrical release.

The change to Laurie was a lot like the change to Evie in V for Vendetta. Evie in V was as whiny, clueless and snivelling a character as I can ever remember. So the change was definitely necessary.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I thought All Along the Watchtower was kind of funny in a cheesy way.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

and yeah, Halleujah was as ridiculous as it gets. i'm not sure what that was about.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals

Post by Royals »

Pirates wrote:I thought All Along the Watchtower was kind of funny in a cheesy way.
That bit was definitely good.

Return to “The Cub Hub”