IBC Interview: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

IBC Interview: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Post by DBacks »

The first finished interview of the new batch. It's Dave Taylor, GM of the Angels, and below you'll see him speak at length about the state of the league, dealing the #1 pick, and trying to build a team in a tough, tough league. He also continues the trend of picking Nate to win it all. Enjoy.

Gabe: There's a saying in baseball - Every team wins 54, and every team loses 54...its what you do with the other 54 that counts. However, the Angels only 45 games last season... How do you turn that around?

Dave: You start from the bottom up. I've started from scratch with this roster that was medicore anyways, so in trying different methods, i found that acquiring high upside/talent players, regardless of risk, will produce players to the major league level. I think that Cliff Lee was a perfect example, as I got him before his explosion for Edwin Jackson.

Gabe: Heading into 2009, who are the players you're looking to build around?

Dave: Carlos Carrasco, Matt LaPorta, Jeff Clement, Andrew McCutchen and Nck Adenhart. I think these 4 players make up the core of my team. Carrasco looks terrific at any level he plays at, LaPorta reminds me of Adam Dunn (and Im hoping he turns around his funk quickly). Adenhart and Clement are question marks because theyve proven they can play at the minor league level, but havent produced just yet with their callups. Logan Morrison looks fantastic too.

Gabe: What made you decide to deal the first pick of the draft?

Dave: I knew I wouldnt escape this one. To be honest wth you, I havent had any pitchers with the talent and upside that I do now. Bailey did struggle last year to the point where his stock has dropped tremondously, but I still have extremely high hopes that he turns into a future stud. There will always be another Buster Posey. As a matter of fact I missed out on Matt Weiters last year by acquring Deolis Guerra (Do I wish I had that trade back? Surely). Pitching is extremely important, and I didnt see any this year worth the number 1 pick, because theyre were so many good hitters ahead of Inoa and Matusz, so If I did trade the pick it was for pitching, and given Baileys talent, I think it was well worth the risk. If Bailey, Adenhart, Carrasco, Guerra, and Jo Jo pan out to what theyre potential is, I have the best rotation in the league in 2 or 3 years.

Gabe: How many games do you hope to win in 09?

Dave: Im not expecting a huge win difference from 2008. My pitching is extremely young and unproven, and thats where Ill falter. Adenhart and Bailey didnt pitch well at all to give them a chance to make any impact for me. The offense should get some good projections, I think most from Sean Rodriguez, Adam Lind and LaPorta. Ill probably say 50-55 wins. It is the AL West we're talking about. The Rangers have improved, Seattle is coming along and Oakland will slip down from Cy DiFelice 2008 campaign, so I think a 10 win difference shouldnt be out of the question.

Gabe: Do you think the AL West is the weakest division in the league?

Dave: Without question. Oakland won 107 games last year against a banged up Seattle team, and a young Texas and Anahiem squad. I think JB probably would have won 130 games in this division.

Gabe: What do you think is the toughest division in the IBC?

Dave: AL East. Theyre just stacked at the top. 3 100 win teams in absolutely ridiculous. I feel bad for J Gudim because his team played so well all year, I would have liked to see him get into the playoffs. 3 out of 7 Championships went to that divison. All 3 have been different teams too. You cant compete with that.

Gabe: So, I'm gonna name a division, and you just give me your quick answer on who is going to win that division in 2009.

Dave: Sure thing

Gabe: AL East.

Dave: ahh tough pick. Blue Jays

Gabe: AL Central.

Dave: Detroit

Gabe: AL West.

Dave: Oakland

Gabe: NL East.

Dave: Dan is just too good, Marlins

Gabe: NL Central.

Dave: Reds, but I think you cant count out Aaron.

Gabe: NL West.

Dave: This was the closest race all year, but I like Jagger shold take it, DBacks.

Gabe: And if you had to pick the World Series winner right now, who would you choose?

Dave: I think Nate will finally take it home this year. Reds.

Gabe: Let's pretend you're in charge of the IBC for a day. You get to change one rule...What do you change?

Dave: I think I'd love to see rosters expanded, Ive always been a fan of stockpiling talent, whether they be fringe prospects or not, just to see how some turn out. I've taken on a huge liking for seeing prospects develop and being patient with it. Its alot of fun.

Gabe: Alright, my favorite question - You get to fire one GM - who is it? And, if you want, you get to re-hire of our past GMs...who do you pick?

Dave: haha Oh geez. Honeslty, a year ago, Id fire myself, but given how much of a shit talker he is with the power rankings, Ill just throw The Rev under the bus. I've skipped over most anything he says now. A GM I would like to see back would probably be Kegan. Hes too caught up in his girlfriend and school now though. Oakland Sucks.\

Gabe: Yeah, Kegs is whipped lol. What do you think of the ExCo's performance since its creation?

Dave: Excellent. I think its brought alot of stability to the league with its decision making. I think Bren did a great job starting the league, but it obviously got too much for him year after year and his attitude showed. The ExCo has stepped up and instead of making decisions based purely off of what 1 GM would want to see, theyve put most everything to a league vote. I think it keeps the league much more informed.

Gabe: Alright, last question - What do you think of the league as a whole right now?

Dave: This is actually the best league ive ever been in. From top to bottom you can't find a more informed bunch of GM's about the game. Alot of information I used in other leagues has come from the IBC. Even the cellar teams like myself are involved more than some of GM's in other leagues that have the best teams. It's just a great league to be a part of.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

That's what I'm talking about Dave, get some heat in the AL West. If Bailey, Adenhart, Carrasco, Guerra, and JoJo all pan out maybe 1 of them will give you a season as good as Big Mark's last year (and don't forget the dude outperformed his projection so get ready for one more year :D). As fun as last year was the AL West should be getting more competitive and soon, hopefully Villalona and Inoa arrive by then.

Seriously Gabe keep it up, look forward to more of these.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Just trying to spice it up a little as we contend for the shittest division award haha.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Contend? you guys take the freaking cake.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Man, speaking about awards...we should bring back trader bob and have end of season awards for teams, like NHL Style.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW

Return to “The Cub Hub”