IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 4 - Interview with Bren, 2002 WS

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 4 - Interview with Bren, 2002 WS

Post by DBacks »

This was the first of two interview I did with Bren. This came during the 2002 World Series, immediately after Bren had been eliminated from the playoffs in a tough ALCS against Nick. Despite the defeat, Bren was confident about the things to come - and he was right. A year after this interview, Bren was celebrating an IBC Championship.

There are 30 teams in this league, That means 30 different opinions, 30 different personalities, and 30 different people to try keep happy. The IBC is by no means an easy league to run. But somehow, someway, Bren manages to do it.
While simultaneously keeping the IBC afloat, the BoSox GM has been busy building and maintaining one of the top teams in the league. His lineup is built around the bats of Nomar and Dunn, and his rotation is led by three of the top pitchers the MLB has to offer. The Red Sox are a team to be feared.
Recently, I got a chance to sit down and talk with the Big Cheese about everything from Nate to Joe, the IBC Rules to the IBC Power Rankings, and the best of teams to the worst of them. Here's what he had to say.

Gabe: Who is gonna win the series?

Bren: Should been me *cough Gonzo cough*.... but I'm rooting for Nils. Either way is fine cuz if anaheim wins it at least then i was ousted by the guy who won it all and if Anaheim could beat Nils then I think I could have too.

G: So the BoSox have Zito now, giving you Pedro, Lowe, and him at the top of your rotation. Is it the best 1-3 in the league?

B: You say that like there's some doubt. :) I think the only 1-3 that comes close is Toronto but he really tails off when he gets to Moyer. His 4-5 don't fall off like mine do though (working on that). But yeah, Pedro Lowe, Zito, that starts any Season 3-0. Kinda get giddy just thinking about it :)

G: Speaking of Toronto, does he, or any other team for that matter, have what it takes to oust you out of the AL East Championship next season?

B: yeah, I think Toronto does. If one team in the AL scares me it's him (apologies to Nick, he's good, but Toronto actually worries me). His rotation is good and his 4-5 will take mine pretty easily. His lineup could be really sick next year with Soriano (damn Yankee), walker et al. Props to the rest of the division though, it's easily the most improved (excluding the NL West, too many moved GM's) Pat, Rich and Sean have all put a lot of work into those teams and Tampa and NY could easily take the central if they moved

G: In every interview I've done, the praise about the Reds has been endless. Does he have the best team in the league heading into 2003? If not, who does?

B: I think the Reds really snuck up on everyone, most of the season no one paid attention to him aside from griping when he'd pull off a steal. Then all of a sudden people looked at his team and realized he had All-stars 1-8 and a rotation which a lot of teams would envy. He definitely has the best lineup in the league going into next year and I think his rotation and Pen are solid enough to make him an easy favorite. I mean, the guy has Vidro hitting 8th, He'd be my #2 guy

G: Is there anyone on your team that you think was treated unfairly by the SIM this season?

B: Hah! Uhm... Lowe I guess, but who could predict the season he had in the MLB? Here in Boston we were praying for 15 wins, nevermind 21. I think the SIM was pretty generous to me (Dunn, Nomar and I won't even get into Henderson and Lopez). I was kinda pissed that Rodrigo Lopez wasn't in seeing as he was on the Baltimore roster on opening day. If he had been I probably wouldn't have dealt him. Overall the SIM treated me very well though. One beef was with Carlos Pena's defense
That is a huge part of his game and they made hi really sloppy

G: If you could contract any team in the league, for any reason, who would it be?

B: Two weeks ago I would have had a solid answer. Now, nothing. I think everyone in the league is great. Yeah, there are some personality conflicts and some people can be slightly difficult at times (Toronto and I will NEVER be able to make a trade) but I wouldn't want to lose any of these GM's.

G: Are there any IBC Rules/Policies that you think need to be changed?

B: This will sound biased but the injuries at the end of the season will need to be addressed somehow and I'm considering some of the trade policies, though it would be more to loosen restrictions I think. After a full year, everyone knows who to trust and who to eye with suspicion. I might be more strict to protect New GM's and looser on old ones. IF more people get the sim things will change too, but I'm not 100% sure how yet

G: Here's a subject I haven't covered in the interviews before - The Power Rankings. How accurate do you think they are toward your team, and others?

B: I think Nate and ropers do a great job ... at pissing people off. Which of course is the whole point of the power rankings. They make some very keen observations and despite the controversy (or maybe because of it) people appreciate those observations. I'd really like to see more people trying to contribute in some way. Maybe have them bi weekly with two different groups switching off

G: what will you be looking to acquire this offseason?

B: A fourth and fifth ace. Honestly, I'm mostly going to wait and see who develops for next year. Teixeira and/or linden or one of the young starters being in the sim next year makes a huge difference in my future

G: What player on someone else's roster would you love to have on your own?

B: Any player? Probably Vlad, maybe Oswalt, though Vlad would probably be the one, great D, and just an incredible hitter. My pitching I think will be ok next year (call it a hunch) I'm more concerned about my offense. I think I'd get lynched if I managed to get Oswalt anyhow

G: Lol. Probably. As the commish, is it tough to keep this league, that's filled with contrasting personalities, in one piece?

B: Yes and No. Yes because I would really prefer to not have guys quit or get booted because each person brings some uniqueness and 'entertainment value.' It gets hard to judge when someone has exceeded their shelf life (and my patience). No, because sometimes people make that decision for you (Joe & Andy) so it's easy to finally cut them loose. What it finally comes down to is does having this person in the league make it not fun or make it not feel worthwhile. If the answer is yes, then that's a good sign that someone isn't contributing in a positive enough manner and they either have to change it, or they have to leave.

G: We've got a lot of cool things in this league that most others don't. Power Rankings, Interviews, an active Message Board, Breakdowns...so on and so forth. Are there any new features you wanna see added to the IBC arsenal next season?

B: Yeah, I'm trying to get Curt Schilling and Doug Glanville to join so they have someplace new to feud. Other than that I think I'd just like to see what we have get more in order and regular before we add more. The schilling thing was a joke, but it would be pretty damn cool.

G: what's the best deal you made this season

B: Hard to say, the good ones don't stand out as much as the bad ones do. I fleeced Atlanta for Pineiro. The deal for Lowe was really good too and Zito has to be a shining moment even though I didn't get a steal in any way, just the fact that I got Barry Zito and now have all three of the guys who will duke it out for the AL Cy Young this year.

G: Ok. The league's big issue, as of late, has been the firing of Joe. What was the "last straw" in your book? And, after hearing some GMs opinions on the matter, do you still think you made the right decision in letting him go?

B: Last question first. Absolutley. Nothing was going to change by Joe being suspended or if he went through with his 'pledge', it would just be a matter of time before he started again. Kicking him out was the only way to tell him that his attitude towards the other gm's and his behavior won't be tolerated. He may get a chance in the future, he may not (going by how he's acting now, probably not) but that decision can always be changed.
There was no real 'last straw' it was just that i got to a point where i was asking myself on a pretty regular basis "Is Joe gonna pull any crap today?" When i realized I was doing that, i knew he'd used up all his chances with me.

G: Well, it's been a fun interview Commish, any final comments?

B: Just that I'm looking forward to seeing Pedro Zito and Lowe step all over the AL next year (particularly looking forward to sweeping Anaheim) and I'd really like a shot at the guys in the NL Central to see how I match up there. beyond that, just glad to see the league doing so well and that everyone is enjoying themselves.

Notes -

1) The firing of Joe was a very big deal during 2002. If I'm remembering correctly, he actually came back to the league for a very brief time.

2) The praise for Nate's team continues. He's been a powerhouse since season one.
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Some of my own observations...
Bringing back Joe was pretty funny. You'd think he'd become a eunuch or something, he was basically a non-existent GM during his return and we brought him in specifically to spice things up a bit.
Since day 1 it's been all about the rotation for me, that'll never change.
With Pat, JB and I in the AL Beast since day 1, it has to have been the most stable division in our history (and clearly the best, with 3 of 7 world championships)
I think we ended up making the rules changes mentioned appropriately.
I actually wrote to Schilling and Glanville care fo their teams to try to get them to join. Obviously that didn't work out.
nice to see the interviews coming back. The breakdowns would be a welcome return as well.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Well if we ever have an opening you can invite Schilling on his blog now.
Royals

Post by Royals »

he's too busy trying to position himself for political office.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

I thought it was funny that bren said he wanted to be in the NLC at some point, and that he envisioned a more lenient trade market.

These have been excellent reads and give some insight into the early days.

Keep them coming, and hope to see some new ones.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Royals

Post by Royals »

I did, and it happened. We started with a market that was WAY too open, tightened it up then loosened it over time. More lenient doesn't mean unregulated.

Return to “The Cub Hub”