IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 3 - Interview with Nick, 2002 WS

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 3 - Interview with Nick, 2002 WS

Post by DBacks »

This interview took place during the 2002 IBC World Series. Nick had just gone seven games with Bren in a hard fought ALCS, and was now face to face with the league's other commish - Nils. The league had just went through an uproar when it was ruled that Luis Gonzales was allowed to play in September and October, despite injury, because he was not placed on the DL. After this interview, Nick went on to defeat Nils and become the first champion in IBC history.

He's three wins away from going down in IBC History as the first ever IBC World Series Champion, but in true IBC fashion, Nick's success isn't without some controversy. Lying somewhere behind the Joe Arguments is the is the Gonzo Debate - Should he play or should he be DLed? Find out what Nick thinks about the debate and other issues below...

Gabe: All right. You just got through a tough 7 game series with the Bo-Sox. Before the final game, how did you feel about your chances?

Nick (XXX): I was feeling very worried actually. There was a lot of people thinking it was going to be a co-commish WS. And bren (who I hate lol) simmed it and wouldn't send it to me (until I went to bed) and joked about it when I left...nice commish huh? When he wouldn't send I knew I won game 7, he didnt want me to rub it in while i was online lol.

G: So how do you think you'll do against Nil's Cubbies?

XXX: After winning game 1 and beating up Mr. Buehrle a little, I like my chances. We all know how well I do against lefties, so I'm not sure how ill fair against Milton, Penny and Marquis. But I think Smoltz, Appier, and Duckworth can keep me in the games, because I think brens offense is better than nils, and they shut bren down quite well, especially Smoltz and Morris. But only time will tell...

G: Do you think the Luis Gonzalez issue has cheapened your playoff success at all?

XXX: I admit, losing him would have been huge. I don't know if i could be where i am without him. But if you look at his numbers with MY team, they aren't even that good (batted .276 I think). But, people do seem to think I shouldn't be here, because he shouldn't be playing. But, hey nothing you can do now :)

G: The AL West has lost a lot of power with Oakland leaving. And there is debate on whether or not Kbel can compete with you. Is 2003 going to be an easy ride for the Halos?

XXX: If I say yes Kbel will never let it down lol. I think it will be rather easy because Seattle and Oakland aren't that great from what I know, but Kbels team is not bad by any means. He's done a great job rebuilding the team, but trading Zito? Well, he did get stronger in CF, because im a big Erstad fan no matter what bren or ropers says. And he added a solid young starter in Pineiro, but Zito is Zito though, I would NEVER trade him, but he can do what he wants. I think it will be an interesting race in 2003, and could be close...depending on how many deals Kbel actually does (which I think is a lot).

G: Who else do you think we'll be competing for playoff spots next season?

XXX: In the AL - Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Cleveland, Halos, and Texas....NL - Mets, Pirates, REDS (champions), Cardinals (NL Central is gonna be great), SF and Colorado. Phils could be in there as well

G: What teams do you expect to see in the cellar?

XXX: Cellar Teams will probably be Expos, Brewers, Dodgers, Mariners, Twins, and AL East i leave undecided (i really think they could all be good next year)

G: What will the Halos be looking to acquire during the offseason?

XXX: I got Brett Myers! I'm happy right now with what I've got...although I would like a bullpen arm or two. MAYBE another starter, but that's not necessary...

G: What lucky guy is the carryover man in Anaheim?

XXX: Adrian Beltre...sick numbers .302 33 homers 120 RBI, 102 runs...a lot different from what he did in the MLB.

G: What was the best trade you did this season?

XXX: Getting Beltre for Rick Helling was a good one. Beltre has been a BIG part in me winning. Its either that or getting Gonzo and Rollins for Colon and Guillen. Gonzo has been great in the clean up spot. I don't know if id be where I am without both of them.

G: In the IBC, after one controversy goes away, another seems to quickly take it's place. The most recent was the firing of Joe. Do you think the decision to let him go was a good one?

XXX: Tough, very tough. I don't know if kicking him out was the BEST decision, because we all know how active he is. It seems a little more dead around here. He was the one to ALWAYS make the chat rooms, and he seemed to make them more interesting, as well as his constant fights with JP. But calling bren a shithead was a little overboard. Did he deserve to be punished? Yes. But, I didn't really want him kicked out, he was entertaining. But I don't know any other punishment than getting the boot...

G: So, you feel that maybe Joe didn't deserve to get the boot. Can you think of any GMs you would like to see get their pink slips? Whether it be for league or personal reasons.

XXX: Nope. Not one. I get along very well with everyone in this league.

G: Fair enough. Can you think of any IBC rules or processes that you think should be deleted or altered?

XXX: I'm fine with all the rules...with the exception of that whole being shut down thing. I hate to say it but Gonzo shouldn't have been playing...so I know that will be worked out next year because he beat up bren lol.

G: Lol. Playoff GMs get a lot of credit. What non-playoff guys do you think deserve some recognition for their work with their teams this season?

XXX: Toronto and Reds without a doubt. Reds have the best team in the IBC and will win it all next year. Toronto should be here as well, but you know there are only so many spots. He should be here next year.

G: Yeah, Nate is pretty much carrying an All-star team over there lol. Is that enough to make the NL Central the league toughest division two years running, or does that title now belong to someone else?

XXX: Nope. Still belongs to NL Central. Nates team is awesome, and so is Aarons...my good friend Ropers has some work to do if he wants to beat those two out. Aaron has done a great job, and his pitching could be best in IBC, or close to it. Its gonna be great to watch those 3 duke it out.

G: What's going to be the weakest division in the IBC in 2003?

XXX: either mine or NL East. Mets and Phils are the only teams that I can see winning it, as well as Me or Kbel winning the AL West. The rest of the divisions seem a lot stronger than these 2.

G: All right, I'm gonna put you on the spot. What are your World Series predictions? How many games? You or Nils?

XXX: lol, I was waiting for this...Nils in 7. I don't wanna jinx my team and say I'm gonna win it. But really, his team is hot, and his pitchers are VERY hard to hit. I don't know if I can do it or not, but I think it will be very close...but you never know...seems I got a lot of people picking me...

G: And I'm one of those people. But we'll close out the interview here, any final comments?

XXX: Of course...Kbel you are going down next year whether you like it or not lol. Also, Morris = God. You all know it. That's all lol.

A few notes...

1) Nick talks about NEVER trading Barry Zito.

2) He equates Matt Morris to God.

3) He picks Nate to win the World Series the following year, a trend that would carry on through the league's history. Nate is always somebody's pick.

Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

I think everyone in the league now has called me a shithead at some point or another. I guess I've loosened up a bit since I didn't boot them all! :)
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Matt Morris is still a god.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Hey JP, why don't you share your thoughts on Matt Morris
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

As far as Matt Morris goes I'll quote this headline from McCovey Chronicles (I think it was) from April 20th: "Giants designate Rajai Davis for assignment, still winners of Matt Morris trade"
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Matt Morris is an asshole
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Matt Morris won 19 games for me that year as a part of my three headed monster with Smoltz (who i got for a bag of chips) and Appier.

Return to “The Cub Hub”