IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 2 - Interview with JP, prior to 2003

Gabe Hammad's blog. Gabe was a member between 2002-2015 and again in 2017. During his tenure, Gabe won the NL East in 2005-06 and the 2006 IBC Championship.

Moderator: DBacks

DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

IBC ARCHIVES: Volume 2 - Interview with JP, prior to 2003

Post by DBacks »

Again, this is prior to the league's second season. JP was Arizona at the time. He had just one the league's Trader Bob Award and spends the interview calling a few GMs morons.... Some things never change.

He is the league's trader Bob. No one unpacks their bags when they get traded to JP's team, because chances are they'll be leaving again soon. He's built one of the most solid and toughest lineups in the league, but will his pitching be good enough for him to compete? Some say yes, some say no…here's what he said…

Gabe: 1st question. Who's going to win this year's IBC World Series.

JP: Boston. As much as people will hate to see the Commish win it, He's got the offense and the pitching.

G: Speaking of pitching, some GMs, Texas in particular, have said your pitching is too weak for you to compete. How do you respond to that?

JP: Well, I think I just need a solid #1 starter or a good #2. Joaquin Benoit will be good in next years SIM, Ryan Anderson can hopefully stay healthy (I know he's in the database), Denny Stark put up good numbers in Colorado, Tanyon Sturtze will be good next year for me since Ill be carrying over his numbers and Kenny Rogers compiled a solid season for the Rangers.

G: With all the changes, can the NL West now be considered a tough division?

JP: I think so. San Diego's team will be better next year, and I'm hoping the new Dodgers GM has a shitty minidraft so we can have a 'bitch' team in our division that we can always count on for a win. I think next year's race will be great, and I look forward to it.

G: What's going to be the toughest division in the IBC next season?

JP: NL West will go from worst to first. Even if I suck it up, Nils and Josh will provide a great race, although the NL Central can't be taken away from either with every team capable of beat anyone on a given day

G: You said the NL West was the worst. Which division is the worst now?

JP: Next year? AL Central.

G: How did this rivalry between you and Texas start?

JP: By him just being a flat out MORON. Pretty simple. He thought these things: A: his IBC Team is good, B: the Red Sox would make the playoffs, C: the Reds would win the division...oh wait no now the Astros...oh wait it was the CARDS That won it... And now the DBacks were supposed to SWEEP the Cards, but did that happen? Nope. Plus, him liking Michael Jackson and having absolutely no taste in music whatsoever doesn't help his cause...I don't get along with Cleveland too well either, that dumb lil' piece...

G: Hmm, I think you're lying, I think you dislike Kb cause he thinks Anna is ugly. Am I right? Lol.

JP: lol. I had forgotten about that too. I think he must be gay if he thinks that too! How can ANYONE say she's ugly? I think he needs to re-evaluate himself...

G: Is there any player on your team that you feel the SIM treated much better or much worse than they should have?

JP: Hoffman got treated brutally, and Sturtze got too much credit...Other than that it was pretty solid. Minus the rookies of course (Benoit, Stark) but I expected them to blow this year.

G: If I recall correctly, Hoffman almost didn't make it to Montreal because of a vetoed trade. How do you feel about the trading approval process in its current form? Does it need to be altered?

JP: I think for the most part Bren and Nils do a good job on it, but my first veto was bullshit and pissed me off. Right now I think the current format is fine, but if it had to be tweaked, I'd probably have Bren take 1 person from each division and have a committee on the deals and the majority or 50% would allow an approval

G: If you could contract one team, who would it be?

JP: Cleveland. That stupid little prick is the most annoying retard ever, and he's a cheating, lying, plagiarizing bastard.

G: In your mind, what teams look to be real contenders next season?

JP: Boston, Anaheim, Mets, Reds, Cards, Pirates, Giants, and Rockies with the Braves and Yanks being darkhorses.

G: Are there any teams who seem to be doomed to the cellar in 2003?

JP: Cleveland's offense is just flat out shit so I plan to see him there.... I think Florida is a year away as well, and of course my friend Kbel. Other than that it's a crapshoot for the cellar especially since the Twins are doing the minidraft.

G: Is your team better than when you got it?

JP: Way better. At Least I think. I don't remember what it was when I got it. Lol.

G: What positions are you looking to acquire during the offseason?

JP: SP, SP, did I say SP? A Def. #1 and then I think I'm good to go.

G: Whom will you be shopping around this offseason?

JP: Andruw Jones will be my main bait, Sean Burroughs, too probably and Jose Mesa.

G: Who's the best player in your minor leagues?

JP: Tough one. Journell is great, so is Anderson if he can stay healthy, Callaway is pretty good too and so is Chad Tracy. One of those four, I'd say.

G: Who's play, whether it be bad or good, is going to directly affect your team's success?

JP: The entire starting staff for sucking.

G: You won the Trader Bob award. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

JP: I think it's a good thing because it means I bring activity to the league, which is always good. At least my team won SOMETHING.

G: What's the best deal you made this season?

JP: Honestly, I can't say until next years all said and done because most of my deals were geared on next season and their performances.

G: We talked about the trading process. Are there any other rules/policies in the league that you think need to be addressed?

JP: I think Bren's doing a good job of taking care of the league, so I don't think so.

G: Playoff GMs get all the credit, but what non-playoff GMs do you feel deserve some praise for doing great jobs with their teams this season?

JP: Cincinnati, Toronto. They have EXCELLENT teams. Philly's done a good job with his team too.

G: Last question, Are there any trades you regret making?

JP: Well Giles/Vazquez for Weaver (whose since sucked)/Penny/Pope and Piatt although I still think at the time it was the right trade to make with Pope still being a top prospect and Piatt still being able to possibly develop well, but Weaver has since sucked.

G: Well he's a Yankee now, he sucks by definition lol. Any final comments?

JP: Well, I would just like to again reiterate that I despise Joe but I think we covered that :) But, yeah, Joe you're a dumb pussy, Kbel you have no taste and you're a dumbass. Cards will win the MLB World Series, and I hope this league stays interesting...

Some interesting points from the interview...

1) Sean Burroughs and Jose Mesa were considered trade bait.

2) JP praises Bren on more than one occassion.

3) One of biggest debates of the 2002 season was the hottness of Anna.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Lol, great stuff. Just got back from vaca, and this was a fun read. Keep these coming. Glad I have several more to read.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."

Return to “The Cub Hub”