OOPSS v3

With quite a few new features planned for the upcoming months, this forum is to notify of new features as they are rolled out
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

OOPSS v3

Post by Dodgers »

While it won't be a ton different from v2 (it'll still be based on phpBB, just a much newer version), we're facing a November 3rd deadline when our host stops running PHP 5.2 and the current iteration of OOPSS stops working. The version of phpBB we're using has actually be unsupported for 4 years so it's long overdue for a refresh. The newest version that I'll be building off of is a completely new architecture that should be stable for many years to come (it uses many of the same frameworks and principles as my job so a nice overlap for me).

That being said, I'll be undertaking a complete rewrite of the IBC-related functionality between now and the beginning of November. Obviously with a relatively compressed timeline I'll be shooting to recreate the main functionality first.

I figured I'd solicit feature ideas, feedback on current functionality, etc. while I planned it out as well as sharing details during the process so that we can hopefully end up with a better system while I don't spend time on a bunch features that nobody will use (hot sheet and depth charts anyone?).

For now I'll open the floor for general commentary while I'm working on coming up with a new design and planning out obvious functionality.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Can you have it distribute a Shiva and Sacko to the best and worst teams each year?

Also, being able to pull up stats and standings from previous seasons would be cool.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Orioles wrote:Also, being able to pull up stats and standings from previous seasons would be cool.
Agree on this part. I'm not sure how much of the old stats/standings/leaders are archived, but that would be cool to have.
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

I'd like to have the ability to comment on box scores.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I'd like to have the ability to change box scores... as long as nobody else gets that ability.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Ok, just spitballin' here. I'm sure some of this won't be doable...

Depth charts - I liked these. They didn't quite work how they were supposed to. They could be shown on the profile page in some form, or just throw a logo (you know, a current logo - had to) on the depth chart page. Most teams post a lineup/ depth chart in their blog to make trading easier, so it seems likely people would make use of these if they were designed to serve the same purpose.

Trade block - possibly integrated with the depth charts? Or even just a simple checkbox list. So people don't need to go digging for other teams' Trade Block posts.

Player pics - Not sure if this feature can be fixed, or expanded to some of the minor league websites.

Player profiles - I'd look at these a lot more if they had the player's current season IBC stats. Also, it'd be great if we could swap baseball-reference.com and FanGraphs for a couple of the other sites you can currently plug links in for (like MLB.com and the Baseball Cube).

Forum - is there any way we can update our message board a little without having to pay, or move anything around? It'd be cool to have some basic text formatting features and an easier way to post pictures and links. Be nice if you can do it by flipping a switch, but prob not worth any real effort since the boards are fine as is.

Leaders - the main page has a giant graphic in the middle. maybe there'd be space for a basic leaderboard (like, top 4 in a handful of categories). It'd be cool to see the HR and K leaders etc whenever you come to the site.

Top 10 prospects - built in way to rank your top 10 prospects and display on team page. ok, now I'm reaching a little.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Marlins wrote:Ok, just spitballin' here. I'm sure some of this won't be doable...

Depth charts - I liked these. They didn't quite work how they were supposed to. They could be shown on the profile page in some form, or just throw a logo (you know, a current logo - had to) on the depth chart page. Most teams post a lineup/ depth chart in their blog to make trading easier, so it seems likely people would make use of these if they were designed to serve the same purpose.

Trade block - possibly integrated with the depth charts? Or even just a simple checkbox list. So people don't need to go digging for other teams' Trade Block posts.

Player pics - Not sure if this feature can be fixed, or expanded to some of the minor league websites.

Player profiles - I'd look at these a lot more if they had the player's current season IBC stats. Also, it'd be great if we could swap baseball-reference.com and FanGraphs for a couple of the other sites you can currently plug links in for (like MLB.com and the Baseball Cube).

Forum - is there any way we can update our message board a little without having to pay, or move anything around? It'd be cool to have some basic text formatting features and an easier way to post pictures and links. Be nice if you can do it by flipping a switch, but prob not worth any real effort since the boards are fine as is.

Leaders - the main page has a giant graphic in the middle. maybe there'd be space for a basic leaderboard (like, top 4 in a handful of categories). It'd be cool to see the HR and K leaders etc whenever you come to the site.

Top 10 prospects - built in way to rank your top 10 prospects and display on team page. ok, now I'm reaching a little.
I was going to think a little about this this weekend but I really like these. Using a toggle/button on the team page to select your trade block seems like a neat feature. Also would be cool to be able to see everyone's trade block lists on one page and maybe a time stamp that each was updated.

I also really like the top ten prospects and I think it would be cool if it could work the same way - when you select them in some way on your team page, they also post on a page with everyone's, and each time stamped.

Those two features and then showing the leaders on the front page and teams' previous records (following the GM not the MLB franchise) on the team page would all be really cool additions, I think.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Another I just thought of: when you propose a trade, if you click someone by accident, you have to leave the screen to clear it out. Maybe have a drop down list next to your players on the team page with a trade/drop option like most fantasy baseball sites. Might add some functionality.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

I like the depth charts and top 10 list idea (potentially with comments that can be included beside the player.

The trade block would be nice to even though I am not an avid trader.

Front page update with 4-6 stats would be cool as well like they have on the mlb front page.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Two more...

Draft History - easily viewable draft history. I know this was talked about at some point. Do we already have somewhere you can view a draft on one page? If not, that would be neat-o yo.

New Marlins Logo - I truly believe this will improve the quality of the league while also making me not be insane. Shawn. Please. For the love of God man. Please help me not be insane and enraged at the sight of teal anymore.

Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Marlins wrote:Two more...

Draft History - easily viewable draft history. I know this was talked about at some point. Do we already have somewhere you can view a draft on one page? If not, that would be neat-o yo.

New Marlins Logo - I truly believe this will improve the quality of the league while also making me not be insane. Shawn. Please. For the love of God man. Please help me not be insane and enraged at the sight of teal anymore.
Rainbow is better? And dont hate on teal, those are my San Jose Shark colors.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

The Marlins have a new logo? Why didn't you say something sooner?

Great ideas guys, let me think about how best to implement and I'll get a post up with some options for more feedback.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Can we just choose our own avatars? With the condition it must contain our team logo?
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Dodgers wrote:The Marlins have a new logo? Why didn't you say something sooner?
Dick.

Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Astros wrote:Can we just choose our own avatars? With the condition it must contain our team logo?
I think 29 teams should be allowed to do that..
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

Athletics wrote:
Astros wrote:Can we just choose our own avatars? With the condition it must contain our team logo?
I think 29 teams should be allowed to do that..
Also a dick.

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

In all honesty, isn't the old logo better?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Pirates wrote:In all honesty, isn't the old logo better?
It's like the Marlin is cuddling the F. It's sweet. So, either you get your current logo, Dan, or you get the weird fish light up thing that happens when Stanton hits home runs. Your choice. The league has spoken.
Orioles

Post by Orioles »

It's not so much the logo as the teal banner on my team page. How about black?

BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Guys, he's right, he needs a new logo. How about this 1?

Athletics

Post by Athletics »

Got a good idea, for the TRC, is it possible to get an alert when a trade has been submitted?

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Angels wrote:Got a good idea, for the TRC, is it possible to get an alert when a trade has been submitted?
Yep, no problem.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

What about a player tracker queue that only the user has access to? This would allow you to store a list of free agents you'd like to sign so you don't have one of those "crap, i forgot about that guy" moments.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Not a bad idea. Right now I'm behind on just the core site functionality necessary to continue league operations. Once that's done, I'll start revisiting these ideas in more detail to get feedback on how they might work.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Dodgers wrote:Not a bad idea. Right now I'm behind on just the core site functionality necessary to continue league operations. Once that's done, I'll start revisiting these ideas in more detail to get feedback on how they might work.
No worries, Shawn. You do a ton for this league/site. No one is pressuring you. We appreciate it.

Return to “OOPSS Upgrades”