Player links (Your help needed)

With quite a few new features planned for the upcoming months, this forum is to notify of new features as they are rolled out
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Player links (Your help needed)

Post by Dodgers »

You will notice a new link on your roster page. It will take you to a page that will allow you to save links to your players at ESPN, Rotoworld, MLB.com and MILB.com . While this is optional, the information you enter will be used when individual player profiles are created, allowing a quick place to find a player's links (similar to the buttons below this post for me --PM, email, aim).

Instructions:
1. If the player does not have pages at a site, please leave the field blank.
2. Only update a single player at a time, then click the Update button at the end of their row.

ESPN:
Correct links will end in "profile?statsId=####" as opposed to "profile?playerId=####" (This will help me retrieve player pictures later on).
You can find the correct format by two methods, though only one is foolproof.
If the player is on a 40 man roster, you can look at his team's roster and you should find the correct link.
The other possibility is if you go to the player's page and you have the playerId, view the location of the player's image, find the ####.jpg and use those #s for statsId. If using this method, please make sure that the link you submit works correctly before saving it.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Shawn, how about a field for baseball america's player finder... or baseball cube?

or do you really care what link we put in what field?
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Reds wrote:Shawn, how about a field for baseball america's player finder... or baseball cube?

or do you really care what link we put in what field?
Any links which aren't in the right field (ie ESPN in rotoworld field) will be rejected by the system by the time I go to actually use the links, so yes it matters. That being said, I will add in the BA/BC links, because they do add in a bit more than the other sites have, if they hadn't contributed anything extra then I would have said no.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

The possibility to add links to your players at BaseballAmerica.com and TheBaseballCube.com has been added.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I added the ability to have ESPN Player Widgets included on the player pages.
Ex: player.php?uid=26892

In order to do this:
Go here: http://widgetcenter.espn.go.com/widgets/tags/MLB/Player
Choose the player's MLB team
If they are listed, click on the "Add Now" button under their name
Then click "<> Embed"
Click "Copy" and paste that into the ESPN Widget box on the submit player links page.

Of note: Unlike the URLs that show up for other websites, once added, the input box will only show Set or nothing. If it says Set, then verify that it is correct by going to their player page. If it is not, replace Set with the code from above and it will update again.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

There will be some bugs.

Most notably: if you add an ESPN widget, then go to update another link of the player's at a different time, it will reset the ESPN widget link. I'm working on a long term solution to replace the Submit Player Links page, so expect the fix then.

Return to “OOPSS Upgrades”