2018 Rule Changes

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

2018 Rule Changes

Post by Cardinals »

I think we should table everything that involves changing the rules that affect roster construction until this offseason.

This includes:

- Expanding rosters
- Raising the minimum active players
- Incentivizing winning

Admittedly, starting my new job has sucked much of my IBC/computer leisure time away. Now that our two new products are launched (albeit one is shitty, causing headaches), things will wind down over the next 2-3 weeks and I'll have more time to dedicate to my hobbies.

With that said, I think we've waited too long on all of these things. Partially my fault for even bringing up the active roster requirements. I wasn't thinking totally clearly.

I think there's some good ideas in here with the above three discussions, but 2018 rosters have been pretty crystalized by the 30 of us. I think our window for actually changing rules is between the World Series and the start of the IBC Draft, ideally before the new calendar year altogether.

As for the rules and discussions above, I think they're all related. If more motivation to win exists, such as getting a third round comp pick, then trading off a sim guy for a 4th or 5th round pick is no longer really on the table. Ditto cutting a prospect with a projection for one that might have a slightly higher ceiling.

The end goal that we shouldn't lose sight of is simple: how do we make the league better and more enjoyable, and, how do we level the playing field so that teams aren't winning 110+ games routinely, and teams aren't losing 110+ games routinely. We want our GMs to try to win.

The above topics by themselves seem to serve as a band aid for that problem and when tackled individually, but when looked at as a whole, they can serve the same goal. But I don't think we're going about it the right way, and like I said, I was part of that problem.

Let's really brainstorm and get this right, and not create rules based off of half-baked ideas.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I think this is a valid and rational argument. I had not yet thought about the fact that everyone has gone this entire offseason planning their roster for one set of rules and we were about to yank the rug out from under them. Our window might actually need to be that changes are announced by and take effect at the end of the regular season (which gives us all summer to make decisions, a specific target date and doesn’t affect the offseason at all).

These changes would be significant enough that we should probably be soliciting general feedback/arguments from the league at large before making any decisions.

I hate to say it, but ExCo might be broken. I’m certainly as guilty as anyone else (if not the most) but we’ve struggled to have conversations with everyone’s input and resolve discussions in a timely manner. These topics have all examples of that. I don’t know how to fix it, but we should probably be trying to solve it, or at least discussing it (and ways we might be able to make ExCo operate more efficiently).
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Agreed with the last part.

ExCo certainly serves the league well, but we've got to have a better way of communicating together collectively.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Dodgers wrote:I hate to say it, but ExCo might be broken. I’m certainly as guilty as anyone else (if not the most) but we’ve struggled to have conversations with everyone’s input and resolve discussions in a timely manner. These topics have all examples of that. I don’t know how to fix it, but we should probably be trying to solve it, or at least discussing it (and ways we might be able to make ExCo operate more efficiently).
I agree with this too. For one, I think we all need to be committed to resolving something when it comes up or we really aren't serving the league well by being on exco. I also think that it would be good to assign a few responsibilities for, say, a year such as one person being responsible to updating the league rules with each new item. But that's not the whole solution by any means and I agree that we need to figure out how to do a better job than we are currently.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Part of the problem, in general, is sporadic communication. I'm usually on the site throughout the day, so I check in and when topics come up, I typically comment. Nils had volunteered to update the rules. He's got a draft going. I'll pick that up and try to make updates, but I'll need help because there are a lot of rules strewn around the site that I probably have missed. I'll work on that.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I think the idea of a slack channel is good, but I also think we can accomplish the same thing with a Google hangout, which we all already have access to. We should probably get a group hangout going, at the very least.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I know I haven't been pulling my weight, I mentally checked out on most everything in my life from October until around a month ago. I'll get better. I think waiting and implementing these things next year is the right call
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

I agree that we need to wait and I agree that if we can come up with a comprehensive it’s better than a number of sporadic revisions. Like some others I have not been on the forum as actively recently as I normal am. Life has just been busy!
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

One of the major issues for me is that I don’t like checking the site on my phone because it sucks to use on mobile. OOPSSv3 (I swear it’s coming soon) alleviates that, and I’m hoping causes me to be able to contribute more. Anyone else share that problem?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I’m on my phone now only because I’m bored on the train, and too lazy to hotspot my laptop. Otherwise I avoid posting on the forum while on my phone. I will read, though, which may be why I let thoughts slip by.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I read and respond on both phone and computer.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Circling back to Shawn's comment above, that the exco isn't as effective as we would like for it to be due to things like not everyone participating in conversations.

I said in one of the responses that while it is by no means the only or main issue, I think that it would be good to have certain tasks be the responsibility of someone so that we're all not just sort of looking at each other or waiting until JP can get around to it. I think that we lean too heavily on Shawn and JP and that the other four exco members don't step up often enough.

I mentioned in the trade challenge proposal that I think that someone should take point on posting trades polls and generally moderating that conversation based on however we set up the proposal.

I think that the first thing that we should do is that one of us should take point in getting the Rules up to date, just purely the mechanics of organizing trying to catch them up, then to be responsible for updating them on the site when something is added or changed. Do you guys agree on this?

It feels like a pin to the side every time Bren or Nils or Nate brings up that the rules are not updated when we talk about rules, mainly because they're right.

I don't have a burden to do it, I know it's going to be a pain, but I am willing to do it if no one else is dying to.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Rangers wrote:Circling back to Shawn's comment above, that the exco isn't as effective as we would like for it to be due to things like not everyone participating in conversations.

I said in one of the responses that while it is by no means the only or main issue, I think that it would be good to have certain tasks be the responsibility of someone so that we're all not just sort of looking at each other or waiting until JP can get around to it. I think that we lean too heavily on Shawn and JP and that the other four exco members don't step up often enough.

I mentioned in the trade challenge proposal that I think that someone should take point on posting trades polls and generally moderating that conversation based on however we set up the proposal.

I think that the first thing that we should do is that one of us should take point in getting the Rules up to date, just purely the mechanics of organizing trying to catch them up, then to be responsible for updating them on the site when something is added or changed. Do you guys agree on this?

It feels like a pin to the side every time Bren or Nils or Nate brings up that the rules are not updated when we talk about rules, mainly because they're right.

I don't have a burden to do it, I know it's going to be a pain, but I am willing to do it if no one else is dying to.
I just emailed everyone a couple days ago with a draft. Please respond. I need help combing the forums where random rules have been posted for the last decade.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I'm guessing that you used whatever email the site has, which I haven't updated in like ten years, rather than the one that you and I have communicated on. Will you send to brettccm@gmail.com (or let me know if you have, and I'll find whever google put it)?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Forwarded, but that was the address I used. For the rest, I sent to:

johnpaulstarkey@ibcleague.com
White Sox - Jim Berger jpb04090@gmail.com
Brett Perryman brettccm@gmail.com
Aaron Dorman cardinals@ibcleague.com
Shawn Walsh spw6soccer@gmail.com

If you didn't get it or have a different address, let me know.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Weird, the other one didn't go into any of the inbox folders, but this one did. Maybe because the other one was to a list of people and this was just to me? Anyway, thanks, I will review too.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Rangers wrote:Weird, the other one didn't go into any of the inbox folders, but this one did. Maybe because the other one was to a list of people and this was just to me? Anyway, thanks, I will review too.
Cool: Thanks. I'm happy to make edits to the rules. I just don't know where all the rule changes are. There are many made when I was absent, so I won't remember them all. Even if someone sends me links to the various things posted over the years, I'll plug them into the document and update.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I don't think we're going to get it 100% complete without literally reading through every exco thread, but if it's really close, we acknowledge that there could be a couple of details that aren't there and we'll do our best to check for relevant previous conversation as things come up, and then that we have a person accountable for updating in the future, we'll be in much better shape.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Agree. I just want it to be as complete as possible. And we should establish a process for who updates rules when they are passed so this doesn't happen again.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Rangers wrote:I don't think we're going to get it 100% complete without literally reading through every exco thread, but if it's really close, we acknowledge that there could be a couple of details that aren't there and we'll do our best to check for relevant previous conversation as things come up, and then that we have a person accountable for updating in the future, we'll be in much better shape.
I think reading the announcements forum is probably the best place to start. All league wide rule changes have historically been posted there. I'm currently putting my IBC time into the disc transition and OOPSSv3, so would prefer to provide feedback rather than being responsible for scanning/updating.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I can take care of the trade challenges

Return to “ExCo General”