Martin and Brandon

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Martin and Brandon

Post by Cardinals »

Neither responded to Pat's roll call. Martin sent two MPs this year, the latest in May. Brandon sent three, the latest in August.

Not sure what we want to do here. I'm inclined to keep Brandon, despite his awful trades over the past couple of years. It's a quiet time and he does pop in during the season I feel like.

Martin, not so sure.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

I think transactions tell a bigger story and Brandon hasn't made a move since May 1 and Martin made 1 sign and 1 release in August and that's it since February. Did they have significant DL violations as a result of few MPs? I don't see posts about them but maybe their violations were just missed.

My preference is to have GMs that are more engaged than they are, but it feels like we've had a hard time by that measure with new GMs the past couple years.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I agree with Shawn that having 30 engaged, active GMS is best, but that's a tough standard to meet. While Brandon isn't overly active, he at least responds and remains somewhat active. I didn't see any DL violations for him, which has been a problem in the past. At least he was making changes up to August. I would suggest he stay.

As for Martin, he's completely MIA most of the year...and despite having some talent, doesn't trade, make pickups or even send in new MPs. He doesn't respond to messages (email or pm). I'd say it's time for him to go. The challenge, of course, is finding someone in time for the draft with Miami also vacant. Perhaps we'll have to stick to drafting whoever the highest amateur draft pick is for these draft slots if we can't find a GM in time...
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

I can't recall, have we ever asked Martin what his thoughts are as far as being able to be engaged and whether he's into the league, etc.? I don't know him that well, so it would be good to know if he has a priority to spend more time with it at some point, or if it's just not that interesting to him any longer and he is just sort of hanging on by a thread of interest.

He knows his stuff, so you'd wish that he could find enough time for it, since, as you guys said, we're already looking for one.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Rangers wrote:I can't recall, have we ever asked Martin what his thoughts are as far as being able to be engaged and whether he's into the league, etc.? I don't know him that well, so it would be good to know if he has a priority to spend more time with it at some point, or if it's just not that interesting to him any longer and he is just sort of hanging on by a thread of interest.

He knows his stuff, so you'd wish that he could find enough time for it, since, as you guys said, we're already looking for one.
I don't know if anyone has asked. Honestly, I probably sent him 1-2 PM's and an email or two this year and never got a response.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Brandon checked in.

I reached out to Martin yesterday, so we'll see what he says.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I know we still have an open spot, but I think at this point we need to have two.

I sent Martin a PM in late November and he hasn't even opened it yet. I also sent him an email a couple weeks back, but no reply.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I'm fine with us giving Martin the boot.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

If he's not responding, I'm fine kicking him out.
Is our policy typically to just draft the highest drafted amateur for open slots if there's an open team?
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote:Is our policy typically to just draft the highest drafted amateur for open slots if there's an open team?
I think so.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Yeah, it is.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

Needs to go ... I wonder if he will notice ...
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Pat B is right that we need someone to take care of the drops for these until we have replacements:
Who decides the player(s) that get dropped when the pick is made? I think somebody needs to be a standin for both teams. I think I did that one time in the early years when we had no GM for a team at draft time.
I can do the DBacks if needed.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I can do TB if we need another volunteer. But I don't think we should stray from drafting highest selected (and signed) player. Having a standard procedure seems safer than having a GM interpret who's better than others.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote:I can do TB if we need another volunteer. But I don't think we should stray from drafting highest selected (and signed) player. Having a standard procedure seems safer than having a GM interpret who's better than others.
Yes, agree here
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Do we have any other input on this? Draft is in two days. BP does Arizona's cuts and I do TB's cuts and either Shawn or JP makes the highest draft pick? Are we in agreement?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Yes
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

I don't really think it matters too much but why don't you guys post the list of cuts here and we can ratify them so you're not solely on the hook? Highest signed pick seems like the best route to me.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Tigers wrote:I can do TB if we need another volunteer. But I don't think we should stray from drafting highest selected (and signed) player. Having a standard procedure seems safer than having a GM interpret who's better than others.
I also agree.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Tigers wrote:Do we have any other input on this? Draft is in two days. BP does Arizona's cuts and I do TB's cuts and either Shawn or JP makes the highest draft pick? Are we in agreement?
Yes.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Dodgers wrote:I don't really think it matters too much but why don't you guys post the list of cuts here and we can ratify them so you're not solely on the hook? Highest signed pick seems like the best route to me.
The Rays first cut will be easy: Alex Rios :)
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Proposed TB cuts:

Alex Rios (hasn't played since 2015)
Ross Detwiler (31, was bad in 2016, unusable projection: 5.26 ERA -0.4 zwar)
Brendan Ryan (35, no longer plus D, -0.4 zwar projection)
Artie Reyes (seems to be a non-prospect, unusable projection (4.97 era 0.1 zwar)
Tom Wilhelmsen 4.58 era projection -0.4 zwar 83 era+ was a disaster last year (6.80 era/6.38 fip)

Others
Kevin Jepsen 4.15 era projection 0 zwar 95 era+ was a disaster last year (5.98 era/6.15 fip) but used to be good
Jesse Hahn (27, seems like a flash in the pan. Was hurt last year, but historically poor k/bb rates. 4.78 era projection, 83 era+, 0.4 zwar)
Jonathan Papelbon (still has no home, zero buzz about him playing this year, but good sim)

I think the first five are easy.
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

TB cuts are fine with me.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Gabe has expressed interest in rejoining. He said he misses the league and has more time, and would welcome another chance. He admitted he's fallen off a bit with baseball IQ, and would lean on me (and others) before getting up to speed, especially with the draft.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

I'm fine with Gabe rejoining if he promises not to trade Kershaw without getting a great deal.

What's the plan then?

Return to “ExCo General”