2020 Season

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

2020 Season

Post by Cardinals »

Copying this post from Jim in another thread here so we can have this tidy:
WhiteSox wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 pm If JP "vetts" him and is satisfied then so am I.

I expect the disk to be available fairly soon. I hope we just plan to play the 162 schedule and if/when real MLB returns we'll figure out how to merge real with where ever we are at in our schedule. I also don't think we need to worry about playing three games at a time to catch up 'cause when real life MLB comes back who knows how long the season will be and how many double headers. I think we stay with 26 man rosters regardless if they expand due to shortened time to ramp up or the fact that they may have multiple DHs. I think we stay with the traditional organizational alignment even if they shift to Florida/Arizona configuration being discussed.

If we turn on the DMB injury I recommend we move "prone" Catchers to "normal" or we will see a lot of Catchers needing to be DLed ... we have had to do this in some other SIM leagues I am in where we are started already because we play based on last year's real stats rather then DMB projections.
I think this is right. There's no real benefit for us to switch the divisions. It would be a novelty. Our goal is to mirror MLB, but there is no MLB right now. Our GMs build largely based off of competition in their division. There's no point in radically altering our season and our plans that we've made for the last few years in our team building.

No need to do three games at a time like Jim said. The only question is injuries. Sim injuries should absolutely be off. I think we come up with a list of players who we agree that are expected to miss the season, and they're out (Chris Sale, Luis Severino). Everybody else is in. JB gets a bit lucky (what else is new?) with Judge, Verlander in this instance, but it's the fairest solution.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Re: 2020 Season

Post by Astros »

Yeah if you're out for the year, you're done, otherwise you play
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I agree that if you've already endured a season ending injury, you're out. What happens if a hurt player has a setback? Also what about rehabbing players who were hurt last year and didn't play in ST? Are they out until they actually play? I would think so since they are still considered hurt/unable to play.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I think it needs to be as uniformly black and white as possible.

I think a player’s injury last year is mostly irrelevant for me. It’s whether or not they’re expected to be out for this year which is the problem we’re solving for.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:20 pm I agree that if you've already endured a season ending injury, you're out. What happens if a hurt player has a setback? Also what about rehabbing players who were hurt last year and didn't play in ST? Are they out until they actually play? I would think so since they are still considered hurt/unable to play.
I think anyone with any chance of playing this year as of our start date should be active regardless of what we hear later about delays in their rehab, etc. The situation is going to be too abnormal for us to be that fine with interpretation. For TJ we could set a date as a guideline and if their surgery was before or after that date then they are/aren't active this season.

Let's avoid setting conceptual standards that we have no hope of being consistent about.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

We also need to factor in suspensions ...
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Suspensions are easy - they serve the amount of games they're supposed to as usual. Don't think that needs to be disrupted.

It looks like the disc will be out this week, maybe today or tomorrow. Let's start working on this list of players deemed ineligible.

Additionally, if MLB decides to start July 1, we will want to consider a scenario in which we do multiple games per day to get caught up on the calendar for IL purposes.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Sale (TJ)
Severino (TJ)
Syndergaard (TJ)
Mancini (Cancer)
Tyler Beede (TJ)
Matt Festa (TJ)
Andres Munoz (TJ)
Brock Burke (Shoulder surgery)
James Jones (Patella tendon surgery)
Joey Wentz (TJ)

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/

Jameson Taillon (TJ recovery)
Corbin Martin? (TJ in July 2019, expected return Sept. 1)...questionable to me

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/injuries/daily/

Dustin Pedroia (Knee)...forgot about him, but yes out
Frances Martes (suspension 162 games)
Emmanual Clase (suspension 80 games from the start of MLB season)
Blaine Hardy (TJ)
Domingo German (suspension 81 games from the start of the MLB season)
Seranthony Dominguez (recommended TJ in March...watchlist)
David Robertson (TJ in August 2019)
Anderson Espinoza (TJ in February 2020)
Matt Carasiti (TJ in March 2020)
Mitch Haniger (sports hernia/disc in back...separate injuries...no timetable)...questionable to me
Jordan Hicks (TJ in July 2019...expected return late July)

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/baseball/mlb/injuries

I think most of these are cut and dried (surgery and out for the year). Others, liberally applied, I could see us allowing them to play (Hicks, Martin, Robertson, Haniger). But it is weird allowing a guy recovering from a late 2019 TJ to play 162 games in 2020. Opening up for discussion.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Thanks for getting the list started
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I say if they're recovering from TJ, like a couple of my guys are, they can play once they're playing in real life. Until then nope.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I think we need to set a surgery date for Tommy John and not arbitrarily enforce this. e.g., if you had surgery after August 1, 2019, then you are out. Prior to, you are in. Not saying August 1 has to be that date, but it needs to be a cutoff like that to be as fair as possible.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

On Haniger, it doesn't appear he suffered a season-ending injury. That's the type of injury I think we need to not police. Yes, it's clear he'd miss part of the start of the 2020 season but we're then playing doctor if we're trying to ascertain how long he'd be out for.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Pirates wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm On Haniger, it doesn't appear he suffered a season-ending injury. That's the type of injury I think we need to not police. Yes, it's clear he'd miss part of the start of the 2020 season but we're then playing doctor if we're trying to ascertain how long he'd be out for.
I lean this way even in simpler times but I agree I just don't know how we would have any idea on a lot of guys if we tried to estimate. Consistent and imprecise is better a woeful attempt at precision here, imo.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I can be down with that kind of explanation for Haniger.

Here's maybe an idea that could work for TJ. We know TJ really isn't a precise 12-month recovery. It's usually more. But, I think in the spirit of trying to keep the league somewhat fun and not crazy for us, we implement this rule of thumb:

Any player who had TJ surgery in calendar year 2020 is out for the season.
Any player who had TJ surgery in 2019 will be out for 12 months from the month of their surgery. So, for Jordan Hicks, he had TJ in July 2019. He's eligible in IBC on July 1, 2020.
Any player who had a major surgery that is scheduled to keep them out for the entire 2020 season (as outlined in our sourced web pages) is out for 2020.
Any player recovering from a surgery or injury that has not been deemed out for the season plays in the IBC in 2020.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I like that, Pat. I'm all for it re: 12 months of TJ.

The major surgery aspect in the non-TJ calendar is problematic potentially but usually those injuries are few and clearly very major. I think it needs to be exercised for players who are absolutely out.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Pirates wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:01 pm I like that, Pat. I'm all for it re: 12 months of TJ.

The major surgery aspect in the non-TJ calendar is problematic potentially but usually those injuries are few and clearly very major. I think it needs to be exercised for players who are absolutely out.
My thought on the major surgeries is we have a source pointing to an out for the season designation that we can rely on.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Agree 100% with that
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Next order of business --

I think we should sim multiple games at a time to get caught up to the calendar. It'll be more of a disaster if we wait and try to matchup the ILs later on this season, if MLB resumes.

It's going to be easier than normal since there's no IL for people to update.

Any objections?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I don't object. I think at this point, we can't really wait on MLB to affect our season schedule. I honestly don't think we will match their schedule at all, so there's no reason to plan around it. I think we'll essentially have an injury-free season in IBC other than those we outlined above. And that's fine.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Tigers wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm I don't object. I think at this point, we can't really wait on MLB to affect our season schedule. I honestly don't think we will match their schedule at all, so there's no reason to plan around it. I think we'll essentially have an injury-free season in IBC other than those we outlined above. And that's fine.
I'm not suggesting we wait on MLB. I'm suggesting we get caught up to the calendar ASAP in the event MLB resumes and we want to mirror the MLB. The schedule won't match, but the IL can if MLB resumes.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

We should update the list to include:

Chris Archer (Thoracic outlet surgery)
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/chri ... -syndrome/

Seranthony Dominguez (TJ)
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/ ... rgery.html
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Circling back on Haniger. I know we decided earlier to let him play, but this seems ominous. How should we treat 60-day DL moves at this stage? I would think that means the player is ineligble?

Mariners placed OF Mitch Haniger on the 60-day injured list.
Haniger is recovering from both a second core surgery and a back operation, and it's unknown when he'll be ready to return in 2020. The Mariners can add the 28-year-old to the roster at some point this summer, but there's a very good chance that we don't see him play at all this year. Kyle Lewis, Mallex Smith and Jake Fraley will likely open the season as the starting outfielders for Seattle.

Return to “ExCo General”