MLB Rule changes

Moderator: Executive Committee

Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

MLB Rule changes

Post by Guardians »

A couple changes are coming that we really haven't prepared for, but can institute next year maybe?

From this article:
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/what-are-mlb-s-new-rule-change

DL back to 15
26 man rosters
No more 40 man in September. Now 28
3 batter minimum

"I promise it'll be painless. For years, each team was allowed to have 25 players on its active roster for each game -- you may see more hanging out in the dugout (guys rehabbing injuries, etc.) but only 25 could be in full uniform and eligible to play. Until now, that is: The roster size from Opening Day through Aug. 31 will increase from 25 to 26.

"From Opening Day through Aug. 31" seems odd.

Good eye. In years past, each team's roster expanded from 25 all the way to 40, to allow for call-ups of players whose Minor League seasons had already ended.

40 seems like ... a lot.

It really was. That led to some cool stuff -- rebuilding teams getting a look at top prospects, weird positional shenanigans -- but more often it meant that the lineup your team ran out for the last month of the year was either 1) largely unrecognizable from the one that started the year or 2) playing against a lineup that was largely unrecognizable from the one that started the year.

But now, the 40-man roster is done: Starting Sept. 1, the roster limit will bump from 26 to 28. So Padres fans can still see Fernando Tatis Jr. this year, while pennant races won't be affected by contenders playing teams that look more like Triple-A rosters. One more note: In keeping with the "avoiding egregious numbers of pitching changes" theme, there's a cap on pitchers: Each team will have to designate all of their players as a pitcher or a position player on the first day of the season."
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Re: MLB Rule changes

Post by Dodgers »

Obviously the 3 batter reliever limit needs to be supported by DMB. Based on https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dmbforu ... tml#p61733 (From November) I wouldn’t say I’m optimistic.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Right, but it's also tough to implement the roster things all of a sudden this year. Do we make rosters 56? Do we implement next year and give everyone a year to adjust? I'm less concerned about the minimum batters faced thing. That's all dmb
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Not sure I understand asking whether rosters need to expand to 56, which rule change is that related to?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

If we're going to follow MLB rules to expand active rosters from 25 to 26, should we expand overall rosters from 55 to 56? Or does everyone just have one fewer prospect? Just looking at the effects of the change for us.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

I think it's largely irrelevant. Most people have at least a bench player. I don't think we need to expand the roster size to allow for 26 active.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Ok, so do we expand active rosters this year or next? Do we adjust our minimum roster requirements?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

It’s a pretty minor change so I think we can implement this year, and raise the mandate in 2021.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Ok, active rosters at 26 this year and September to 28, not 40. 3 man minimum not up to us (dmb) and carded player minimum goes into effect next year? If so, I vote yes on all those.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Agree
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

I believe there is going to be a maximum of 13 pitchers mandate also ...
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm Ok, active rosters at 26 this year and September to 28, not 40. 3 man minimum not up to us (dmb) and carded player minimum goes into effect next year? If so, I vote yes on all those.
If/when we're raising to a minimum of 26 I do think that the roster should go to 56. Otherwise, I think it should be an option of 25-26. The intent of that change from a minimum of 20 to a minimum of 25 was to try to force people to field competitive rosters. We don't need 26 to be competitive.

And, in raising the roster with the active minimum we only marginally hamstrung GMs in that they had more players who could go on IR, forcing potentially more spots clogged just to cover the injuries. In conjunction with the reduction of the injured list to 10 days, more guys have short stays. I think being free to control five more players with projections outweighs that small effect, so we weren't hurting anyone who wanted to put the effort in to have the maximum assets to build from.

Anyway, we didn't add to the challenge of building by removing optional inactive spots, and we should also not if we require one more active spot.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Final verzion calls for 15 day DL and minor league option for pitchers and two way players and 10 day for position players ...
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

There's also a 13 pitcher maximum, but I'm not interested in policing that.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

15 day DL for pitcher is fine for me to enforce.

The minimum/maximum and two-way player thing I have no interest in.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Tigers wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm Ok, active rosters at 26 this year and September to 28, not 40. 3 man minimum not up to us (dmb) and carded player minimum goes into effect next year? If so, I vote yes on all those.
So, Brett and I did a little more digging and had a discussion: according to MLB.com, active rosters are 26, but they allow a minimum of 25, meaning teams have a choice:

"Teams are required to have a minimum of 25 players on their 26-man roster." (http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/26-man-roster)

So, I'm going to propose we allow active rosters to go to 26 (team's choice), leave our minimum roster requirements in place. Also according to MLB, September rosters have to be at 28. I'm going to propose teams have the option of up to 28 players in September, but at least 25. Thoughts?
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

I concur with Pat’s last post ...
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Yes, good
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Works for me
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

To make sure I understand, no changes are necessary for OOPSS regarding roster makeup?

Hoping to have the automated DL postings back this year, different position player/pitcher lengths won't be hard to handle.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Dodgers wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:28 pm To make sure I understand, no changes are necessary for OOPSS regarding roster makeup?

Hoping to have the automated DL postings back this year, different position player/pitcher lengths won't be hard to handle.
I don't think we need to do anything with oopss for this, no. The site already allows plenty of active roster spots. September can be regulated by DMB.

JP, can you post the changes?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I presume we're also mirroring the 15 day MLB pitching DL? Going to be a real pain to track otherwise.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Also, I posted the 26/28 man roster announcement.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Pirates wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:11 am I presume we're also mirroring the 15 day MLB pitching DL? Going to be a real pain to track otherwise.
Yeah, makes sense
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Likewise, I always presumed so ...

Return to “ExCo General”