Bren

Moderator: Executive Committee

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Bren

Post by Cardinals »

He wants to bring on his brother to be main/co-GM, with Bren helping him out. He doesn't have time for day-to-day injury tracking and prospect scouring.

I'm ok with it. Nils vouched for his brother, and also offered to help guide him for the first year (and said he wouldn't trade with him).

Thoughts?
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Re: Bren

Post by Padres »

Okay with me …
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

Sure
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Fine with me
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Yeah fine
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Is this a thing that's happening?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Apparently, yes. I talked to Bren and Nils about it. Bren and his brother got out of whack when Nils' dad died and they traveled. Obviously, need to see actual things happening soon.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Should we announce it or are we still waiting on Bren's brother to formally engage and start being involved/interested?
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I say if neither one has done anything by the end of the month we find a replacement this winter. We've had years of Bren showing up to run his mouth during the January playoffs thread and then do nothing all season long. He should've been replaced eons ago.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Nothing from Bren or Ropers.

Hamlin has shown up at least.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Here's my thinking:

We've given Bren a long leash for years. It is time to move on. I think we give Ropers til the middle of August, I've spoken with him and I know JP has and he's a day one guy that's never had inactivity before, he's earned the benefit of the doubt. I know we'd be hesitant to hand over a roster like Bren's to a newbie. If it comes down to it and we have to replace Ropers, then I say we have our first minidraft in 10 years and I'd also offer Degan a chance to be in it since he replaced Brandon's roster that hadn't been touched in years.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Cardinals wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:17 pm Here's my thinking:

We've given Bren a long leash for years. It is time to move on. I think we give Ropers til the middle of August, I've spoken with him and I know JP has and he's a day one guy that's never had inactivity before, he's earned the benefit of the doubt. I know we'd be hesitant to hand over a roster like Bren's to a newbie. If it comes down to it and we have to replace Ropers, then I say we have our first minidraft in 10 years and I'd also offer Degan a chance to be in it since he replaced Brandon's roster that hadn't been touched in years.
We can have a larger discussion about a minidraft, but I would argue Brennan has been inactive for several years. He's definitely an institutional member, but he's also done nothing in quite a while.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Yeah, I think that post is full of anti-Bren bias and having an affinity for Ropers.

At least Bren is aware that rosters have more than 48 players.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I also inherently disagree with Degen being allowed to minidraft. Why? He's been making moves with his team and building it. It's completely unnecessary.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Astros

Post by Astros »

Pirates wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:27 pm Yeah, I think that post is full of anti-Bren bias and having an affinity for Ropers.

At least Bren is aware that rosters have more than 48 players.
Yeah that's bullshit. It is no secret I've been saying we needed to get rid of Bren for years. My personal dislike has nothing to do with it, I disliked Jag for years because he got shitty I didn't return a PM promptly enough when my mom was undergoing a double mastectomy but he was never inactive so I never pushed for his removal. I think Bren's gotten more second chances than we gave Gabe at this point. It is the same thing every year. Minimal participation except for football trash talk. He can go do that on any number of message boards, we need active GMs and if you can't be active with a loaded roster (which he primarily got through having the top pick for years while not paying attention and getting a free pass from everyone) then you don't need to be a GM. We're all thankful he started the league but at some point you have to pull the plug. Ropers was in the World Series 3 seasons ago, so clearly he hasn't been inactive for years but this year is alarming. I think we give him one more warning and if he's not active in another 2 to 3 weeks, we make a change with the caveat that he's welcome back in the future if we have an opening and he has the time to commit to the league, like we did with Nate when we had to remove him for inactivity in 2009. That gives us the rest of the season to find candidates for new GMs to fill the vacancies and we should shoot for having them filled by Thanksgiving at the latest.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I think it's just time to move on from both.

We can start with Bren. He messaged me last night asking if a group of coworkers can run his team. His brother is no longer interested. It's over there.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22

Return to “ExCo General”