Name: Pat Gillespie

Postseason injury thread

Post by Guardians »

Just getting this started for issues we need to discuss
Guardians

Re: Postseason injury thread

Post by Guardians »

Pedro Strop has been ruled out for the rest of the regular season after an MRI revealed a moderate left hamstring strain.

Whether Strop might be available at some point during the postseason remains to be seen. It's obviously a blow to a Cubs bullpen that's already without the services of Brandon Morrow (elbow). Manager Joe Maddon has not named a replacement at closer, but Carl Edwards Jr., Steve Cishek, Justin Wilson and Jesse Chavez figure to be in the mix.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Tigers wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:14 pm Pedro Strop has been ruled out for the rest of the regular season after an MRI revealed a moderate left hamstring strain.

Whether Strop might be available at some point during the postseason remains to be seen. It's obviously a blow to a Cubs bullpen that's already without the services of Brandon Morrow (elbow). Manager Joe Maddon has not named a replacement at closer, but Carl Edwards Jr., Steve Cishek, Justin Wilson and Jesse Chavez figure to be in the mix.
Out.
Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

IMO, if Strop is not on the real life Cubs 25 man playoff roster, then he is not eligible for the IBC playoff games until and unless he is activated for playoff series. If the Cubs happen to lose their opening series and Strop was not active for that series then he won’t be playing in the IBC playoffs.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Yep pretty easy he can play once he actually plays. If the Cubs miss the playoffs somehow then he's just out
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Not a postseason issue, but Mets should be farming him.

Diamondbacks' manager Torey Lovullo announced Friday that Clay Buchholz (elbow) will miss the remainder of the 2018 season.

Buchholz underwent an MRI on Friday that revealed a flexor strain. The right-hander was scratched from his start on Thursday after complaining of elbow stiffness. It's a heart-breaking end to the season for the injury-prone right-hander who returned to fantasy relevance this season, posting a 2.01 ERA and 1.04 WHIP across 98 1/3 terrific innings for the Diamondbacks.
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Cardinals wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:44 am Yep pretty easy he can play once he actually plays. If the Cubs miss the playoffs somehow then he's just out
So we all agree he should not play in the IBC playoffs ... should he be farmed/DLed in the IBC effective next data base release Sunday evening?
Astros

Post by Astros »

yes
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

So, I think Strop should be farmed in IBC until he's activated in the majors. Buchholz farmed for all of 2018? Do we agree?
Astros

Post by Astros »

I'm on board
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Tigers wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 pm So, I think Strop should be farmed in IBC until he's activated in the majors. Buchholz farmed for all of 2018? Do we agree?
I concur.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Another:

An MRI showed meniscus damage in Michael Fulmer's right knee.
Fulmer will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews before determining the next move. Even if he doesn't wind up having surgery, his season is surely over. The right-hander posted a 4.69 ERA and 110/46 K/BB ratio over 132 1/3 innings across 24 starts. Sep 17 - 4:17 PM

This one is a little more difficult, to me. "His season is surely over" is from a rotoworld writer, not an official statement from a manager. And they're sending him for a second opinion. I think he's in until more definitive information comes in. Does anyone see it differently?
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Agreed. I don't think there's enough to warrant a benching.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

Michael Fulmer has been diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his right knee.
Fulmer will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday, but it sounds like surgery might already be scheduled for Thursday. This will obviously cut into the 25-year-old right-hander's offseason program, but he could potentially be ready for the start of the 2019 campaign if he's able to avoid setbacks with his rehab. Fulmer posted a disappointing 4.69 ERA and 110/46 K/BB ratio over 132 1/3 innings with the Tigers in 2018. Sep 18 - 4:33 PM

I'd say out on that basis.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Update on Fulmer. Not official yet, but sounds ominous:

Michael Fulmer has been diagnosed with a torn meniscus in his right knee.

Fulmer will get a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday, but it sounds like surgery might already be scheduled for Thursday. This will obviously cut into the 25-year-old right-hander's offseason program, but he could potentially be ready for the start of the 2019 campaign if he's able to avoid setbacks with his rehab. Fulmer posted a disappointing 4.69 ERA and 110/46 K/BB ratio over 132 1/3 innings with the Tigers in 2018.

And a new one:

Cubs manager Joe Maddon announced Tuesday evening that Brandon Morrow (elbow) has been shut down for the remainder of the season.

Morrow has been sidelined since mid-July with a bone bruise in his right elbow, and he was never able to get over the hump in his rehab. Pedro Strop is also currently sidelined with a left hamstring strain, so the Cubs will have to deploy a closer-by-committee strategy for the remainder of the regular season and possibly into the playoffs. Morrow, who logged just 30 2/3 innings for the Cubs in 2018, is due a $9 million salary next year.

JP: Please farm Morrow on Atlanta's MP.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Sorry about posting over you, Shawn...I think we were doing it at the same time.

I think wait until tomorrow on Fulmer. It seems pretty obvious, but I would like to be sure.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 353016002/

Detroit Tigers lose Michael Fulmer for season with torn meniscus

As expected, Michael Fulmer’s season is over.

Fulmer flew out of town on Tuesday afternoon for a second opinion on an MRI scan which showed a torn right meniscus, Detroit Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire said.

Fulmer will visit renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Fla. on Wednesday. If the initial diagnosis is confirmed, Gardenhire expects the Tigers’ ace right-hander to undergo surgery as soon as Thursday.

“He’ll probably get that taken care of and it will be a long process back, depending on what they say,” Gardenhire said.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Another to follow:

Brandon Belt is heading back to San Francisco to undergo and MRI on his knee, and could have surgery soon according to Giants manager Bruce Bochy.

Belt has missed the last four games -- and isn't playing Wednesday against the Padres -- because of soreness in his right knee. An initial MRI showed no damage, but it's obviously possible that the first baseman has aggravated something while trying to get back onto the field. It would be an upset if Belt played another game in 2018, even if the MRI comes back negative.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Will do on Morrow.

Out on Fulmer.

MRI dependent on Belt. I would lean Belt gets to stay in though, as the first one revealed no damage.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

I'm good with out on Fulmer. I'll post.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Another:

Wilmer Flores has arthritis in both his knees and is done for the season.
The good news is, he's expected to be ready for spring training. Flores was sent back to New York on Wednesday to have his ailing knees checked, and the check showed early onset arthritis in both knees. His year ends with a relatively disappointing 11 homers and 51 RBI, hitting .267/.319/.417 in 126 games.

I think he's in. Arthritis seems to be an injury he'd play through if the Mets weren't the Mets.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Yeah no reason to bench Flores.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

What did Exco do with Chapman in the past? I don't recall the course of action, but seems Addison Russell would fit into that path:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 379294002/
Dodgers
Site Admin

Post by Dodgers »

We don't appear to have done anything with Chapman (couldn't find any posts). We did suspend Jose Reyes though viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5926
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Looks like despite that conversation going sideways into injury decisions (and here we are in September again!), we decided to suspend Reyes after he was placed on administrative leave by the league. That is exactly Russell's situation at the moment, so I think he sits in IBC until he plays in MLB (http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2475 ... llegations)

Cue blow back in 3...2...1...
Padres
Site Admin

Post by Padres »

Russell should not eligible to play in the IBC until he plays again in real life. He is on a 7 day Admin Leave and is not playing.

Return to “ExCo General”