Earlier Draft Pick Trading

These polls are or were displayed on the front page.

Allow picks to be traded on 8/1?

Yes
89%
No, they should only be traded after the season ends
11%

Total votes: 27

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Earlier Draft Pick Trading

Post by Cardinals »

Should we change the rule to:

Draft picks are tradable commodities starting on the first of August each year. They will be considered tradable until the day the draft begins, at which point all pick trading is eliminated. The picks accumulated throughout the season and offseason will not count towards the 50 man roster until the draft pick becomes a player.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

This is assuming a 8/31 trade deadline?
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

That's what the deadline has been and will be for trades entering the database.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Why 8/1 and not just the all star break?

I mean, obviously this year we would have to wait until the picks are in OOPS but going forward?
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

It gives a better estimate of where the picks will be by waiting the extra 2-3 weeks. Plus the All-Star break is pretty arbitrary as it seems to shift every year and I think having an actual hard date is better. If that's a problem with everybody then that could always be changed, but I don't see why waiting an extra two weeks would make or break it.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

I like having a specific date as well. The extra 2-3 weeks are important and the All-Star break is a little too loose of a date. Is it after the game? MLB or IBC? Or after we return from the break? After the first day of boxes following the AS Break? I dunno, it's just too loose of a definition. Let's stick with August 1st.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

My vote is yes with the caveat that anyone who trades JB his first round pick will be disqualified from the Dan Haren auction I'm probably going to hold this winter.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Just for future reference, and I guess it's too late for it to ever matter, but I think that August 1 is a little too late. I know that some guys are terrified that someone could move five draft spots or something, but I think that the whole point of doing this is so that picks can be used as assets between guys looking to add players and guys looking to add a pick or picks. And by pushing it so late, I fear that you're going to make this pretty useless for the majority of guys.

This seems like compromise to the point that everyone is willing to vote for it, but it won't really make anyone happy in reality. Hey, we know what it feels like to be the US Congress.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

August 1 gives a whole month to trade picks, it's not like there's been a massive rush of trades thus far in July anyway.

Return to “Polls”