Bren has asked to return

These polls are or were displayed on the front page.

Would you like Bren back in the league as a GM?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 24

Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Bren has asked to return

Post by Cardinals »

Bren has contacted me a couple of times in the past weeks and he originally had said he'd like to think it over and possibly come back as a GM to the league. Apparently he's been monitoring his team and is also disheartened by how poorly his team is doing. Two days ago he officially asked to be let back into the league. I told him that it's not really my call and I didn't really think it was ExCo's call either. He left at an odd time and on strange terms so ExCo has decided it is for the league to decide this. I asked Bren for an explanation as to why he would quit and then return and he gave me one that I will post shortly.

I would also like to note that should he be allowed to return he will NOT be on ExCo. He will not be in charge of simming and he will also not be on the TRC. He would be coming back as GM, just in charge of his own team like most everybody else in this league.

Having said that, here is what he has to say for himself:
Some people have asked for a better understanding of why I left and why I'm asking to come back. I think the leaving part is fairly self-explanatory. After six years of running things, I was completely and totally burned out. JP asked "Why not just step down and stay as a GM?" when I first left. Because I really was THAT burned out. Leaving, walking away, had NEVER been an option before. A part of me too felt like I'd have too much trouble letting soemone else run things. Even now, knowing I want to return, I would have still made the same decision to walk away completely. Partly because I know I needed to walk away completely in order to know that I would miss being a GM (I don't miss running the league or simming AT ALL) and partly because, even though I criticized some aspects of the ExCo on my way out, I still had (and have) faith that they'll keep the league running well. If I didn't, I wouldn't have left. So why do I want to come back? For the same reason any one of you reading this would want to come back. I miss it. I miss haggling over players, looking for free agents and prospects and the stupid inside jokes. I think I needed to walk away completely to rediscover that. The other important thing to me is do I think I can come back and live with the decisisons of the ExCo that I don't like. Well, not that I'd have much choice, but yes. I've already had to do that in the past. I kind of envision myself having an activitiy level akin to a more outspoken Nils. I'm still going to speak up if something seems really wrong, but since I won't be running anything other than my own team, I won't feel like I have to participate in EVERY debate over every issue. So, there it is.
Additionally, this is a closed poll so that people don't vote based on how close he is either way. This is solely your opinion.
Last edited by Cardinals on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
DBacks
Name: Dave Mueller

Post by DBacks »

Can we make comments on this or are we just strictly voting?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Comment away
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Reds

Post by Reds »

Please let him know that if he comes back he will be a newbie and as such any trades he makes will have to be closely scrutinized.
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Obviously he left like a jackass, but my vote is "Who gives a crap?" Easier then going out and finding someone - so long as he can NEVER be a part of ExCo, SIMing, and TRC, this is a pretty easy one.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

Would we "Like" him back?
Interesting wording on the question.

I guess one thing to consider is if the team will be left vacant all year if he's not back....or if another high quality GM would be brought in to run the team this year.

No team should ever go vacant for a whole season. Effects too many penant races.
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

The team would not be vacant all year.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Orioles
Name: Dan Vacek

Post by Orioles »

Pirates wrote:The team would not be vacant all year.
It's too hard to find good GMs, having vacant teams sucks, and we know Bren is a good GM, so if he's just coming back as a GM I don't see why not.

2023 GM Totals: 1780 W - 1460 L | 0.549 wpct | 89-73 (avg 162 G record)
Nationals
Name: Ian Schnaufer

Post by Nationals »

I had a feeling this would happen...but he's a good GM and as long as he is a GM and not ExCo/TRC/etc (those rights have been forfeited, at least for this season), why not?
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

I want it written in stone that Bren can never EVER have any kind of power/authority/what have you over anything ever again if he comes back
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

How about rather than setting that in stone we set in stone that if Bren wants a position of power again in the league then Aaron gets to brand a confederate flag onto him?
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

Since we're pretty well assured he's coming back, can you take his jackass announcement off the website? Albeit gives us a reminder of why he should never be allowed to be a part of anything running the league positions, it is a part of league history I'd rather us just wipe out.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

We should setup an Archived area to move his post too... We could archive quite a few things on here..
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

All posts are archived by being left in place.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

I see no reason to ever delete posts unless it was something extremely slanderous or overly personal that should not be posted to the league.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I suppose, but there's a lot of clutter too you could get off the more traffic intensive areas... Just a thought.

Then I wouldn't have to see it if I didn't want to.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

And archiving them wouldn't be deleting them. Just moving them to an "archived" forum.
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

i don't really see there being a lot of clutter though. I only check unread threads as it is unless I'm bored and scouring through them.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

I'm not really saying its a problem..

Just there's a solution to both moving the post and saving it..

And might give us an opportunity to archive old hashed threads that will never again be viewed..

Not a big deal.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

I don't mind Bren coming back, but I'm really bummed that Nils won't get to move to Boston, and I don't get to move to San Francisoco! :cry:
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Let Nils move to Boston after the season. Bren left, he lost his rights to stay in Boston IMO
Reds

Post by Reds »

Cardinals wrote:Let Nils move to Boston after the season. Bren left, he lost his rights to stay in Boston IMO
That seems a bit harsh.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Not to me. He left! He should be happy we're on board with him even coming back. Let him lose his grip from the RedSox franchise. Especially if Nils is a fan!
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

How many other GM's have we had, leave and come back?

Lets not turn this into anything more than it needs to be. No drama queen acts now. Lets be done with it and move on.
BlueJays

Post by BlueJays »

Fine by me, but Nils was already under the expectation that he would get Boston next year.

If that expectation was set, why go back on it now? Let Bren finish the year in boston, but next year he moves. You can't set someone's expectations and then let them down. I mean, Nils would be stand up if he just let it roll off his shoulders, but I'm just of the firm belief if you set someone's expectations you should do your best to follow through with them.

I say, if Nils really wants Boston, as its been told he would get at the end of the year, let him have it.

Return to “Polls”