NYY / HOU Trade Appeal

These polls are or were displayed on the front page.

Kyle Davies for Esmailyn 6-Gonzalez

Poll ended at Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:52 pm

Allow the trade
69%
Do not allow the trade
31%

Total votes: 29

Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

NYY / HOU Trade Appeal

Post by Rangers »

The following trade:

New York Yankees get Esmailyn Gonzalez
Houston Astros get Kyle Davies

was vetoed by the TRC and is being appealed.

20 votes are currently required to overturn the TRC's decision.

TRC veto rationale:

The primary reason this trade was vetoed was consideration of the "Sub-AA Discount" guideline. It is the opinion of the majority of the TRC that Davies, a starting pitcher with 278 innings of mixed-poor results in the majors, but still a decent amount of promise at 24 years old, has and probably will continue to have value far outweighing Gonzalez, a player who has not progressed past rookie ball and who put up a .245/.382/.311 line at that level last summer.

Gonzalez was only Washington's #17 ranked prospect according to Baseball America as of this spring, and Davies is not only a SP, IBC's and MLB's greatest trade commodity, but as he was approaching the majors ranked as high as #53 in baseball, according to that publication.

Some consideration was given to the nature of the trade (NY's desire to obtain a draft spot eligible player).

GM trade rationale:

I'm not exactly sure why this deal got vetoed in the first place, but I have a few ideas:

1) AA rule
2) Some people in this league feel that trading for a recent draft pick in order to meet league roster requirements is not a fair approach and should not be applied.

In response to 1:

Its Esmailyn Gonzalez for Kyle Davies, are you F'n serious? If we have come to this point in the league where two minor leaguers (although Davies has MLB experience) cant be deal for each other (Neither of them are even that good) then what can we deal folks? Thats really all I need to say about that.

That leads me to point two and the real reason I believe the deal got vetoed. First off all it is not the TRCs job to decide what I can and can't do with my roster in order to get to the "legal" roster status. I would also like to point out that while some people might think I am not playing by the rules that is certainly not the case. I had and have always had 10 players on my roster from the 06-07 draft classes. It just so happens that two of them are Joba Chamberlain and Ian Kennedy. A member of the ExCo came to me last night and brought to my attention that I only had 8 draft players on my roster. I informed him I had ten (Ian and Joba being the other two) and was told that he would have to check on that and get back to me. Since they had projections and I planned on using them this season I was told that I had to find two more draft players added to my roster. This information was presented to me at some point last night and I didnt get the message until around 8 AM this morning. At that point I made the proper adjustments (dropping Clippard for an open spot and making this trade) all before 2 PM this afternoon. I also made the point that Ian Kennedy has no sim stats this season (or last) so could he please be placed back on my draft roster until I could have this sorted out. Seems fair right? Well that was not acceptable, and I was informed that I was "stalling". Again I found out about this oversight this morning at 7 AM and had my roster corrected by 2 PM this afternoon (while I was at my full time job no less). Look, there is no excuse for mis-interpreting the rules (Joba and Ian not being eligible) and I took full responsibility in a very reasonable amount of time to take the proper steps to get in compliance with roster rules. Seems more than fair to me.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

I want to know more!

Does a player lose draft status if he makes the sim?

If not, then why couldn't Joba and/or Kennedy be kept on the draft roster as long as they never showed up in a game?

I know we don't like to discuss, but I think these are serious things I need to consider before weighing in.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

Reds wrote:I want to know more!

Does a player lose draft status if he makes the sim?

If not, then why couldn't Joba and/or Kennedy be kept on the draft roster as long as they never showed up in a game?

I know we don't like to discuss, but I think these are serious things I need to consider before weighing in.
Maybe we should talk about that issue elsewhere on the board, but the rule is that just making the sim does not affect draft slot status, but making the guy active on your MP does.
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

In the past, they way that was handled was a player didn't lose draft eligibility simply by making the sim. You could keep a player as holding a draft spot until you moved them to your 25 man active roster. As soon as that happened, they were no longer eligible to be on the 10 man draft roster.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Giants wrote:In the past, they way that was handled was a player didn't lose draft eligibility simply by making the sim. You could keep a player as holding a draft spot until you moved them to your 25 man active roster. As soon as that happened, they were no longer eligible to be on the 10 man draft roster.
Nils, I find it hard to believe you posted here and didn't vote.
Rangers
Site Admin

Post by Rangers »

This trade appeal has received the necessary 20 votes and will be processed.

Return to “Polls”