The Home Run Pool

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

The Home Run Pool

Post by Guardians »

Hey guys,

You may recall that in the past I've posted about the Home Run Pool, a long-time annual contest where you pick one player from 4 pre-established lists and three "at-large" players not on any of the lists, hoping to have the highest HR total at the end of the year.

Long story short: two years ago, one of the main founders of this 30+ year-old pool died. He was the guy who used some program to tabulate totals/upload to the website. None of his friends (guys in their 60s) know anything about how to replicate his work via technology. So, the website lapsed, entries dipped to about 100 and they charged $25 an entry instead of $5 an entry, but still managed a $1,000 top prize. It's now circulated via email and totals calculated by a guy who runs it on paper and sends maybe twice a year updates.

So, two things. One, if you are interested in entering, I can email you the list, so let me know. Two, I'm working with the great Shawn Walsh on returning the HR Pool to an online home in hopes of boosting it back to what it was. If you've entered before, you know it's fun to check to see how well you're doing, especially if you're in it at the end. Jake Levine has won it; JB and I have both had top 5 finishes.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

I'm in if you guys get it online. I didn't even know it still happened last year.
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Re: The Home Run Pool

Post by Rockies »

Tigers wrote:Hey guys,

You may recall that in the past I've posted about the Home Run Pool, a long-time annual contest where you pick one player from 4 pre-established lists and three "at-large" players not on any of the lists, hoping to have the highest HR total at the end of the year.

Long story short: two years ago, one of the main founders of this 30+ year-old pool died. He was the guy who used some program to tabulate totals/upload to the website. None of his friends (guys in their 60s) know anything about how to replicate his work via technology. So, the website lapsed, entries dipped to about 100 and they charged $25 an entry instead of $5 an entry, but still managed a $1,000 top prize. It's now circulated via email and totals calculated by a guy who runs it on paper and sends maybe twice a year updates.

So, two things. One, if you are interested in entering, I can email you the list, so let me know. Two, I'm working with the great Shawn Walsh on returning the HR Pool to an online home in hopes of boosting it back to what it was. If you've entered before, you know it's fun to check to see how well you're doing, especially if you're in it at the end. Jake Levine has won it; JB and I have both had top 5 finishes.
Awesome, I had a lot of fun doing it the one year I did. It would be really cool to restore it to its former glory. Can you send me the list?
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Phillies wrote:I'm in if you guys get it online. I didn't even know it still happened last year.
Yeah, they were kind of rushing to get it done without a website and I didn't do it, so didn't bother to promote it. They were honestly frazzled to set it up and it seemed pretty shaky. They still did it and had an ok turnout.
Guardians

Re: The Home Run Pool

Post by Guardians »

Rockies wrote:
Tigers wrote:Hey guys,

Awesome, I had a lot of fun doing it the one year I did. It would be really cool to restore it to its former glory. Can you send me the list?
Sent
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I'll check it out.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Phillies wrote:I'm in if you guys get it online. I didn't even know it still happened last year.
Same.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

I'm down, I've kept meaning to enter over the years
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Hey guys,

With the help of our great IBC Webmaster Shawn, it appears we will have the HR Pool online again this year. I have set up a basic blog:

https://thehomerunpool.wordpress.com

Once people submit their sheets via snail mail to the Commish, he can get them to me and with some help from Shawn, we'll have the leader board set up to pull HR totals daily. We already have the spreadsheet set up for players on lists A through D. I'll just need to add the at-larges once lists are entered.

Hoping that by next year sheets can be submitted directly online (and perhaps entry fee directly online). Depends on the comfort level of the commish. The site is basic, but it will do for now. If you were worried about participating without the benefit of a site, I think we've solved that. We should have it up not long into the start of the season.
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Okay, so where is the download to the list of choices?
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Added to the homepage
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Just wanted to take a moment to give a shout out to Shawn, for putting in after-hours work to assist with the HR Pool site. The leaderboard, which was having issues loading with different methods we were trying to pull data, is now almost instant. Shawn had the good idea to pull data from a table created on fangraphs.

https://thehomerunpool.wordpress.com/leaderboard/

Sadly, JB and I are the only IBCers, but I hope more of you show up next year.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Kinda slipped my mind, sadly. I'll be back next year.

Return to “Announcements”