2016 Draft Announcements

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

2016 Draft Announcements

Post by Cardinals »

This year, we're going to start the draft on February 1. This is a change from our prior drafts, but we're doing it to get further clarity on who should be draft eligible, and who shouldn't be.

Going forward, players have to have signed by Jan. 31 to be eligible for the draft. No ifs and ors buts about it. If a foreign player signs on February 12, they are ineligible to be drafted.

All players must be signed by Jan. 31. It's that simple.

We moved the date back a month partially to allow international star players to sign in time for our draft, and by making one cutoff date, it negates the possibility of somebody like Oh (last year, as an example), suddenly bursting onto the radar. This helps keep pick value where it should be.

Lastly, there will be no more additional 6th round picks. The draft will end after pick 150, and all players will be made available to everybody following the draft's conclusion.

Here's what we're looking at for raw draft order.

Texas
Cleveland
Colorado
White Sox
Dodgers
Red Sox
Mets
Rays
A's
Marlins
Braves
Astros
Brewers
Diamondbacks
Angels
Cubs
Twins
Nationals
Padres
Yankees
Reds
Royals
Orioles
Blue Jays
Phillies
Pirates
Cardinals
Tigers
Mariners
Giants
Last edited by Cardinals on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

Why would Colorado (61-101) have the #2 pick over Cleveland (59-103)?
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Indians wrote:Why would Colorado (61-101) have the #2 pick over Cleveland (59-103)?
Whoops - forgot to update that. Fixed.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

Thanks!
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Indians wrote:Why would Colorado (61-101) have the #2 pick over Cleveland (59-103)?
Because perennial losers always get the shaft...look at my team. :wink:
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

Angels wrote:
Because perennial losers always get the shaft...look at my team. :wink:
Self-induced
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Does the February first deadline apply to ex-MLBers who go to another country and then consider coming back (like my recent signee Eric Thames)?
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Cardinals

Post by Cardinals »

No, only players who are draft-eligible. Thames isn't.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Draft should be all set to go. Pool is populated, picks have been converted according to the order below, you can start filling your queue if you'd like.

1. Rangers
2. Indians
3. Rockies
4. WhiteSox
5. Dodgers
6. RedSox
7. Mets
8. Rays
9. Athletics
10. Marlins
11. Braves
12. Astros
13. Brewers
14. DBacks
15. Angels
16. Cubs
17. Twins
18. Nationals
19. Padres
20. Yankees
21. Reds
22. Royals
23. Orioles
24. BlueJays
25. Phillies
26. Pirates
27. Cardinals
28. Tigers
29. Mariners
30. Giants
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Who's drafting for the two vacant/gmless teams?
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

We can't find 2 people? What a bunch of losers we are.
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I believe admin will draft the highest drafted available player for the vacant teams when they are up.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Dodgers wrote:Draft should be all set to go. Pool is populated, picks have been converted according to the order below, you can start filling your queue if you'd like.

1. Rangers
2. Indians
3. Rockies
4. WhiteSox
5. Dodgers
6. RedSox
7. Mets
8. Rays
9. Athletics
10. Marlins
11. Braves
12. Astros
13. Brewers
14. DBacks
15. Angels
16. Cubs
17. Twins
18. Nationals
19. Padres
20. Yankees
21. Reds
22. Royals
23. Orioles
24. BlueJays
25. Phillies
26. Pirates
27. Cardinals
28. Tigers
29. Mariners
30. Giants
To be clear, does this order reflect Dbacks becoming A's, A's becoming Marlins, Royals becoming Twins and Twins becoming Royals?
Marlins
Name: Nils

Post by Marlins »

Regarding this statement:
I believe admin will draft the highest drafted available player for the vacant teams when they are up.

(not sure how you guys do that post while leaving the original post above)

Two things come to mind. First, our draft is for 2016 draftees AND 2016 international signees. This plan takes a huge chunk of talent out of the picture for these franchises. Second, draft order is not a ranking of talent order, too many other things involved (bonus demands, draft pool, etc).

Leaving it as is would probably benefit me and all of us with picks the most as we can best predict who will be taken in these spots, but I think its doing a disservice to the new GMs. However, I am now one of those guys who is complaining about something without providing a solution.

But, two ideas though neither seem all that good to me. First, we simply delay the start of the draft until we have new GMs and give them time (week or two?) to research the draft and/or trade off picks if they would rather that route. Second option would be to rank every guy available to draft according to bonus amount. This is slightly better in terms of better reflection of talent and includes international guys, but this also would put a higher ratio of talent on the international market that is not regulated by a draft.

Neither option seems to be all that great, but I think either option would be better than just autopicking for the GM-less teams via draft order. Any other ideas?
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

Marlins wrote:Regarding this statement:

(not sure how you guys do that post while leaving the original post above)

Two things come to mind. First, our draft is for 2016 draftees AND 2016 international signees. This plan takes a huge chunk of talent out of the picture for these franchises. Second, draft order is not a ranking of talent order, too many other things involved (bonus demands, draft pool, etc).

Leaving it as is would probably benefit me and all of us with picks the most as we can best predict who will be taken in these spots, but I think its doing a disservice to the new GMs. However, I am now one of those guys who is complaining about something without providing a solution.

But, two ideas though neither seem all that good to me. First, we simply delay the start of the draft until we have new GMs and give them time (week or two?) to research the draft and/or trade off picks if they would rather that route. Second option would be to rank every guy available to draft according to bonus amount. This is slightly better in terms of better reflection of talent and includes international guys, but this also would put a higher ratio of talent on the international market that is not regulated by a draft.

Neither option seems to be all that great, but I think either option would be better than just autopicking for the GM-less teams via draft order. Any other ideas?
Why not just have a GM from the opposite league and at least a few picks away from the vacant team's draft position ghost draft for them? I haven't looked, but I can't imagine that either of these teams did a whole lot of draft pick trading.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Currently I have pick 132 and it doesn't look like I'm getting any more. If it stays that way I'd be happy to draft for the other teams. But most likely, we go by highest drafted.

That said, someone trade me some picks so I can have some fun.
Dodgers
Site Admin
Name: Shawn Walsh

Post by Dodgers »

Tigers wrote:
Dodgers wrote:Draft should be all set to go. Pool is populated, picks have been converted according to the order below, you can start filling your queue if you'd like.

1. Rangers
2. Indians
3. Rockies
4. WhiteSox
5. Dodgers
6. RedSox
7. Mets
8. Rays
9. Athletics
10. Marlins
11. Braves
12. Astros
13. Brewers
14. DBacks
15. Angels
16. Cubs
17. Twins
18. Nationals
19. Padres
20. Yankees
21. Reds
22. Royals
23. Orioles
24. BlueJays
25. Phillies
26. Pirates
27. Cardinals
28. Tigers
29. Mariners
30. Giants
To be clear, does this order reflect Dbacks becoming A's, A's becoming Marlins, Royals becoming Twins and Twins becoming Royals?
No, this was before those switches were determined.
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Tigers wrote:I believe admin will draft the highest drafted available player for the vacant teams when they are up.
Who decides the player(s) that get dropped when the pick is made? I think somebody needs to be a standin for both teams. I think I did that one time in the early years when we had no GM for a team at draft time.
Reds

Post by Reds »

Just do it by when the players were actually selected, provided they signed.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Is Nick anywhere near any of either of the teams' picks? If not, I'd say let him draft since there shouldn't be too much conflict of interest... and if it's not too much of an inconvenience, maybe he could post his intended pick before making the selection so anybody can chime in if it's a good or bad selection?
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Reds

Post by Reds »

In my opinion using another GM puts a burden on them and creates an unintended conflict. That GM must make a list and selections different than their own and make those choices in a timely fashion. Any other leagues I have been involved in have used the actual draft results and made selections for unmanaged team choosing the next available player. In our case the queue's may be able to be set up for both teams making their selections happen automatically (and quickly).

Since it is not in our leagues rules it should probably be done using the draft results. If as a league we want to do it differently we may wish to consider a league wide vote for a rule, but since the draft starts soon it'll have to be done fast.
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Exco is discussing. We'll keep you posted.

Return to “Announcements”