Andrew

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Andrew

Post by Cardinals »

I never thought I would have to make this sort of announcement, and I don't even know what to say exactly, so I'll just get right to it - Andrew died on Friday.

I never had the opportunity to meet Andrew, but he was one of the nicest and smartest people I've talked to, and one of the few people besides my sister that I know that could geek out about classics for hours on end.

I'm pretty much in shock over this, as I'm sure everybody will be once they find out. It's truly heartbreaking, and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I'm sure we're all shocked by this and it's weird since most of us haven't met in person before. But at the same time, we all probably consider ourselves friends with many people we may just chat with online or through this website.
I never met Andrew either, but chatted online with him often. Whether we talked about a trade or just talked about what was going on with life, I really liked talking with him. I wish there was something I could have done to help, but it's difficult with such a superficial type of relationship.
I'm just praying for his family at this time. Very sad news.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Just before I saw the announcement on facebook from his husband I had a facebook notification that 2 years ago today is when we went to the Louisville Bats game and watched Gregory Polanco and laughed for a good 3 innings about the fact that Chris Nelson was playing in the game and wanted to tell him about how he almost caused the IBC to end. I haven't talked to Andrew as much as I used to, after all when most of us joined this league we were in high school and developed our friendships as we grew into adults. Whenever I was teaching something about the ancient world, if I ever had a question about anything at all I would text Andrew and he would give me everything I needed on the topic and then some. Andrew was super helpful to me when I thought about not teaching high school and pursuing a PhD in history and becoming a professor, telling me how hard it is to get tenure and his struggles trying to do the same in classics. When I was on the verge of moving to Texas last year, he was always there to answer any questions I had and put me at ease and tell me what it was like to be a transplant. I'll miss him a lot, when you've been friends with a guy for going on 15 years, that's half my life, even if we've only met once. Still in shock over this
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

Terrible news. I'll be praying for him and his family and friends.

Most people here have never met each other or have only met a handful of times, but the relationships are still real. There are people in this league I have never met that I talk to more often than my best man from my wedding. I didn't converse a whole lot with Andrew, but I know a lot of you guys did. People outside of the league will probably not be able to empathize with you guys, but I just want to express my sorrow to all of you and say if anybody needed to chat about it, I'll try to be available whenever possible.

RIP Andrew
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Angels
Name: Zach Robertson

Post by Angels »

Unfortunately, I never got to know Andrew well. I chatted with him only a few times, but I always found him to be a great guy. Very respectful. And I know he was well-regarded by many in the league, which speaks volumes.

I'm so sorry to hear about his passing, and I send condolences to his husband, friends, and loved ones--including many of you. I know you're hurting too.

This is tough news. RIP.
Last edited by Angels on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

This is really awful news.

Andrew was one of the GMs I respected most in this league. I only interacted with him a handful of times (we didn't really trade that often, being in the same division), but he was always good to talk to and always seemed to have a great sense of humor about things.

RIP
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Andrew is one of the few members of the IBC that I have ever had the pleasure to meet in person. He happened to be in Denver a year and a half ago during Great American Beer Festival when my wife was unable to attend so he joined me and some other friends. I wish we had the opportunity to do it again. He was as intelligent and entertaining in person as he was online and I was glad for the opportunity to finally meet someone I had known and respected for so long, his was a voice of reason I heeded here when I heard few others.
It saddens me that such a bright light in the universe no longer shines.
Giants
Name: Jake Hamlin

Post by Giants »

Wow. My deepest condolences and thoughts and prayers and everything else. Thanks Andrew for all you did for this league.
Your REIGNING AND DEFENDING #evenyear IBC CHAMPION

2015- #torture #evenyears 179-145
2006-2014 Gritty Gutty A's 828-631
2005 Texas Rangers 65-97
Total: 1072-873 .551
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Padres wrote:Andrew is one of the few members of the IBC that I have ever had the pleasure to meet in person. He happened to be in Denver a year and a half ago during Great American Beer Festival when my wife was unable to attend so he joined me and some other friends. I wish we had the opportunity to do it again. He was as intelligent and entertaining in person as he was online and I was glad for the opportunity to finally meet someone I had known and respected for so long, his was a voice of reason I heeded here when I heard few others.
I tried to meet up with him during this trip. I haven't seen any announcement until now. I'm shocked. I'm saddened. Andrew was a wonderful person, from everything I knew.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Rockies wrote:
Padres wrote:Andrew is one of the few members of the IBC that I have ever had the pleasure to meet in person. He happened to be in Denver a year and a half ago during Great American Beer Festival when my wife was unable to attend so he joined me and some other friends. I wish we had the opportunity to do it again. He was as intelligent and entertaining in person as he was online and I was glad for the opportunity to finally meet someone I had known and respected for so long, his was a voice of reason I heeded here when I heard few others.
I tried to meet up with him during this trip. I haven't seen any announcement until now. I'm shocked. I'm saddened. Andrew was a wonderful person, from everything I knew.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.
Nate, I think it's about time you and I grab a beer.
Mets
Name: John Anderson

Post by Mets »

I get sad enough when long term GM's leave the league due to life demands...but this is much worse. I'll only say the following because I think Andrew would get a chuckle out of it: In the time prior to our social media connections, how long would it have taken for all of us to think Andrew was an asshole for quiting the league not not telling anyone?
2008-2023 Mets: 1,054-1,223...463%
2006-2008 Rockies: 242-244...498%

IBC Total: 1,296-1,467...469%
2022: lost WC
2023: lost WC
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

I've been thinking about this all damn day and really having a hard time with it. We lost someone most of us can call a friend of 14 years, and I've never met him or even heard his voice. It's surreal and it sucks. RIP Andrew.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Phillies wrote:I've been thinking about this all damn day and really having a hard time with it. We lost someone most of us can call a friend of 14 years, and I've never met him or even heard his voice. It's surreal and it sucks. RIP Andrew.
I hear you Nick, I can't get it out of my mind.

Andrew's husband has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the 2016 Hill County Ride for AIDS that he was scheduled to participate in on 4/30. Andrew hated bike riding, but this was important to him.
http://www.hillcountryride.org/site/TR/ ... fr_id=1230
Athletics
Name: Stephen d'Esterhazy

Post by Athletics »

Life is crazy, awful when news like this falls upon people we know (even in the social media world)
Mets wrote:I get sad enough when long term GM's leave the league due to life demands...but this is much worse. I'll only say the following because I think Andrew would get a chuckle out of it: In the time prior to our social media connections, how long would it have taken for all of us to think Andrew was an asshole for quitting the league and not telling anyone?
That is a good question since he was still active in the league just a week ago. It is all your fault Jagger.
"My shit doesn't work in the playoffs. My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is fucking luck."

LAA 11 - 15 331W - 479L
LAA 16 - 20 477W - 333L 17-20 ALW
OAK 21 - 22 214W - 110L 21-22 ALW
Astros

Post by Astros »

Mets wrote:I get sad enough when long term GM's leave the league due to life demands...but this is much worse. I'll only say the following because I think Andrew would get a chuckle out of it: In the time prior to our social media connections, how long would it have taken for all of us to think Andrew was an asshole for quiting the league not not telling anyone?
I needed that laugh John. I can see it being 2006 and the board discussion of "What a dick, 4 years in the league and just stops responding."

I still can't wrap my head around it. I almost texted him last week, wish I would have now
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

I'm literally heart-broken. As everyone here has said, I enjoyed every interaction I had with him...even if he was coldly rejecting one of my thousands of trade proposals to that talented team of his.

Even though I never met him, I'm not sure this shock will wear off any time soon...RIP bud.
Tigers
Name: Ben L. Montgomery

Post by Tigers »

I've been pretty busy with work and travel so haven't been that tuned in lately, but when I saw this on Facebook today it broke my heart.

I had the pleasure of meeting Andrew and having a beer with him down at Seaside, Oregon after the Hood to Coast race last year. Great guy, great sense of humor and he loved to run. Fast as all hell. We all have our demons that chase us, but I have no idea how his ever caught him the way he ran. I hope he finds his peace.

I feel like one of the lucky ones that got that chance to meet him in person and laugh/reminisce about the old days of the IBC. He will be missed.

Rest in Peace, brother Andrew.
Reds

Post by Reds »

Undoubtedly this day will stick with us all in a manner that none has before. I'm stunned by the loss of Andrew, he was kind and thoughtful in all the exchanges we have had over the years. Being a bit older than most of the league participants the first thing I did after hearing of Andrews passing was get in touch with my son. It's never a bad idea to check in on those you care about, and I will do so more often now... RIP Andrew.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Angels wrote:Life is crazy, awful when news like this falls upon people we know (even in the social media world)
Mets wrote:I get sad enough when long term GM's leave the league due to life demands...but this is much worse. I'll only say the following because I think Andrew would get a chuckle out of it: In the time prior to our social media connections, how long would it have taken for all of us to think Andrew was an asshole for quitting the league and not telling anyone?
That is a good question since he was still active in the league just a week ago. It is all your fault Jagger.
The lesson for me is - never feel silly about complimenting someone.

After our recent trade, I had the urge to express to Andrew just how classy and how much of a Gentleman he was and how I have always enjoyed dealing with him. But when I started to type that to him, and it got a little long-winded, I thought to myself "that's corny, keep it simple", so I simply replied - "As always, it truly is a pleasure dealing with you. Thank you"
Yankees
Name: Brett Zalaski

Post by Yankees »

While every one of the thoughts of our league should be towards remembering the positive influence Andrew was...it seems appropriate to once again say how appreciative I am for this league. For the last 13 years I've had something I can escape to...for 2 minutes a day or 2 hours a day. I'm appreciative for all the relationships I've made through this league...even you Bren.

Thank you to everyone who's cared enough to keep this league going. It's been such amazing fun mostly losing to you fine gentlemen.

Lastly, it may seem trite, but I'd like to find a way for this league to keep remembering Andrew. He was an incredibly positive influence...and while now may not be the time, I just don't want us to let it pass, either.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Nationals wrote:While every one of the thoughts of our league should be towards remembering the positive influence Andrew was...it seems appropriate to once again say how appreciative I am for this league. For the last 13 years I've had something I can escape to...for 2 minutes a day or 2 hours a day. I'm appreciative for all the relationships I've made through this league...even you Bren.

Thank you to everyone who's cared enough to keep this league going. It's been such amazing fun mostly losing to you fine gentlemen.

Lastly, it may seem trite, but I'd like to find a way for this league to keep remembering Andrew. He was an incredibly positive influence...and while now may not be the time, I just don't want us to let it pass, either.
I was chatting with JP and we obviously aren't going to replace him this year. I made the suggestion to have Aaron run the Twins this year and let us honor his team and hopefully get him a lot of wins. I suggest Aaron because he's met Andrew in person and Andrew has obviously had a big impact on him. Aaron is a big part of this league, and (to add a bit of humor to a terrible day) Aaron's cardinals aren't going anywhere this year (love ya bud). We can obviously find another way to honor him on top of that. I love this league so much and I can't imagine life without it, and Andrew was one of those reasons. I may not be close with everyone here but there's a core here that I love and Andrew was part of that.
Astros

Post by Astros »

What's struck me as I read all this is, sadly, I doubt Andrew had any idea how highly we all thought of him. I wish he'd have talked to one of us about whatever demons he was facing. I wish I had texted him last week. I saw on facebook this morning where 2 years ago today is when we met for the first time and I was planning on texting him tonight and see if we were going to be anywhere near each other this summer. It would be an honor and a privilege to run the Twins this year and as Nick pointed out, I'm going to suck.

I love this league. Hell I've been in it half my life now. I've forged friendships here that will last the rest of my life. There were times where this was one of the few things I had to look forward to. If anyone ever needs someone to talk to about anything, I'm here. Don't hesitate
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

I'm all for letting Aaron run the Twins. As I told him, I couldn't think about finding a replacement for his(Andrew's) team right now, or anytime soon. The only person I would consider would be Gabe, if he was truly ready to come back, only because he was such a core part of this league as well.

As remembrance and tribute, may I suggest something that might be simple. A special banner(flag) on the home page that could link to his roster page as it stands today.. Or some other special page we could drum up.

On a larger scale.. Idk. We're all a bit older and wiser these days. I'm not a broke struggling young twenty year old anymore. Perhaps we could do an annual donation in his honor to a charity he would have liked us to give to.. Just some thoughts.

All that said... I'll echo the sentiments of others. I'm fortunate to have been a part of this league, to depart, and to come back. This league is a blessing. And so are the many lasting friendships I've formed because of it. Today is a huge loss for us. I hope the next one is a long, long ways off.

Godspeed Mr. Howard. I hope you have found the peace in the next life, that you couldn't find here.
BlueJays
Name: David Taylor

Post by BlueJays »

A banner would be appropriate, and maybe some sort of memorial page it links to (could be his roster or even this thread, or maybe his forum where we could put any memorable thread he took part in).

I also second that it would be fitting for his team to be ran by anybody who felt close to him, even if it's a couple people who would like to work together on it.

Long term memorial here could be naming an award after him where maybe we can nominate GMs at the end of the season who helped carry out his legacy and add a banner to their roster page.
"Hating the Yankees is as American as pizza pie, unwed mothers, and cheating on your income tax."
Royals

Post by Royals »

I heartily support bringing in Gabe (if he is ready/interested), or Aaron as caretaker. I think Andrew would find either to be fitting. I like the banner idea as well.

I don't know if Andrew knew what we all thought of him, how respected he was and how much he will be missed. I do know that when we met up at GABF one of the things we talked about (in between efforts to get Sano) is how much the league and our fellow members meant to us, even the ones that we (mostly I) don't always get along with. He took pride in blending wit and wisdom in how he dealt with all of us. Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't, but I like to think that he knew. But knowing a thing and believing it when dealing with depression (or other demons) are two very different things. Getting someone to talk about those things is hard enough on its own, the social stigma around depression and other mental health issues only makes talking about it harder. Sadly, being loved and being respected doesn't seem to make those demons easier to deal with or we wouldn't be talking about this now.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that it can be easy to think "I should have told him this" or "I should have said that" and wonder if there was anything you could have done. I've caught myself doing it, I've been meaning to pick up trade talks around Sano with him again, what if... But all that does is make us feel worse. Depression is something that drives a person beyond reason and rational thought. I wish it wasn't so, I wish we had our friend back.

Return to “Announcements”