Andrew

These announcements are reflected on the front page.
Cubs
Name: Pat Bishop

Post by Cubs »

Rockies wrote:
Padres wrote:Andrew is one of the few members of the IBC that I have ever had the pleasure to meet in person. He happened to be in Denver a year and a half ago during Great American Beer Festival when my wife was unable to attend so he joined me and some other friends. I wish we had the opportunity to do it again. He was as intelligent and entertaining in person as he was online and I was glad for the opportunity to finally meet someone I had known and respected for so long, his was a voice of reason I heeded here when I heard few others.
It saddens me that such a bright light in the universe no longer shines.
I tried to meet up with him during this trip. I haven't seen any announcement until now. I'm shocked. I'm saddened. Andrew was a wonderful person, from everything I knew.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fuck.
Ditto. Great guy, we're all going to miss him.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

One thing that came to mind last night over the many thoughts I had about Andrew was just how good and patient of a GM he was. I remember his roster when the league first started, he couldn't attend the AOL chat room draft (I miss our nightly AOL chats, those were the days) and had a terrible team. A lot of people would have quit and he built that into a team that won 3 straight division titles, including a pennant. Then he rebuilt that team into the Wild Card winner last year. That and always giving him a due in the Hot Chicks power rankings
Brewers
Name: Jared Cloutier

Post by Brewers »

I'm new(ish) to the league and I'm not sure if I had any direct interaction with him but I'm sorry to all of you that lost a friend. You get surprisingly close to people you've never met in leagues like this.

Just gonna throw this out there. As a way to honor him maybe vote on the GM of the year each year and name the award after him?
Guardians
Name: Pat Gillespie

Post by Guardians »

I like the idea of an annual GM award named after him as well as an "AH" on banners or the homepage, as JP had suggested.

Also, for those not connected to Andrew on Facebook. From his husband:

Hi everybody,
Reading and hearing the reactions to Andrew Howard’s passing have been equal parts sad and heartwarming. I am devastated at our loss, but deeply happy that so many people remember him warmly. I have not been able to respond to every message, so I want to put out one big update on how things are going:
I’m getting by as well as I can. I have the world’s most amazing support around me doing everything from making sure I’m fed and rested to taking care of the practical considerations. Jim and Elizabeth have done so much heavy lifting for me, and so many others have come by to keep me company. Andrew Howard would be so pleased to know how well I have been taken care of.
Thank you so much for the offers of food, lodging, and togetherness time. It has all been astonishingly generous. If I haven’t been able to say “Yes” to you for something yet, I’m going to take you up on it in the future.
An extra special thank you to the people who have contributed to the Hill Country Ride for AIDS in Andrew’s memory. Andrew was committed to (or “resigned to,” perhaps?) doing the 13 mile route, but said he’d ride the 27 miler if he raised over $1000. We are far above that now, and it seems like the donations keep coming. Andrew would grumble about having to bike those 27 miles, but he would be thrilled to have helped out such a fantastic cause. I will be biking 27 miles in his place on April 30.
If we have not gotten a chance to talk this week, we will find the time soon. I hope to see you at the memorial on Saturday. Message me if you would like to come but have not gotten the invite.
With much love and awe,
Andrew
Rockies
Name: Nate Hunter

Post by Rockies »

Man, I'm really wishing Andrew could be with us for IBC Opening Day right now.. :\ :(

Anyway, I don't think it would take too much to shift the IBC banner in the top left up to align with the first row of pennant flags, and put some kind of banner pointing to somewhere. But then again, I don't do web design..

As for charity, I was thinking what if we did something like donate a dime for every HR his SIM team hit? Last year his twins hit 158 HR. Donating 10 cents for each home run would have amounted to 15.80 cents for everyone who wanted to participate. If everyone participated, it would have been a 474 dollar donation to charity last year. We could ask his husband where to donate on his behalf and memory. We could keep this as an annual thing too.

Just some thoughts.
Cardinals
Name: John Paul Starkey

Post by Cardinals »

Banner-wise, what I'm thinking of doing is one of those black and white "AH" circular logos, and having it appended to all 2016 playoff badges, and to the site somewhere as well. It'll be as though our teams played with such a patch on their uniforms all year, and it'll stay on the site forever, too.
12, 14, 15, 17, 22
Royals
Name: Larry Bestwick

Post by Royals »

Pirates wrote:Banner-wise, what I'm thinking of doing is one of those black and white "AH" circular logos, and having it appended to all 2016 playoff badges, and to the site somewhere as well. It'll be as though our teams played with such a patch on their uniforms all year, and it'll stay on the site forever, too.
Still lobbying for that 'Like' button.
Astros
Name: Ty Bradley

Post by Astros »

Pirates wrote:Banner-wise, what I'm thinking of doing is one of those black and white "AH" circular logos, and having it appended to all 2016 playoff badges, and to the site somewhere as well. It'll be as though our teams played with such a patch on their uniforms all year, and it'll stay on the site forever, too.
Love this idea
Twins
Name: Andrew Howard, Owner emeritus. Jason Gudim, GM

Post by Twins »

Cardinals wrote:
Love this idea
Ditto.
2010 KC 83-79
2011 KC 94-68
2012 KC 83-79
2013 KC 90-72; AL Central Champs
2014 KC 84-78
2015 KC 103-59; AL Central Champs
2016 KC 97-65; Lost WC Game to BAL
2017 MIN 80-82
2018 MIN 84-78
2019 MIN 80-82

Overall IBC Record 1040-903
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Not looking to bring up something negative, but I also don't want this to drop off our collective radar. Nate suggested some type of league donation to a cause Andrew believed in based on something his team accomplishes.

I'm up for whatever, whether it's that at the end of the year or if people prefer to give now a random amount. Doesn't matter to me. But I'm willing to collect and organize for those who want to donate.
Rangers
Site Admin
Name: Brett Perryman

Post by Rangers »

Tigers wrote:Not looking to bring up something negative, but I also don't want this to drop off our collective radar. Nate suggested some type of league donation to a cause Andrew believed in based on something his team accomplishes.

I'm up for whatever, whether it's that at the end of the year or if people prefer to give now a random amount. Doesn't matter to me. But I'm willing to collect and organize for those who want to donate.
A cause was linked on here. I just donated to that.
Mariners
Name: Jagger

Post by Mariners »

Padres
Site Admin
Name: Jim Berger

Post by Padres »

DBacks wrote:A look at Andrew's running: http://nicholerunning.blogspot.com/2015 ... oward.html
Thanks ... I enjoyed that.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Rangers wrote:
Tigers wrote:Not looking to bring up something negative, but I also don't want this to drop off our collective radar. Nate suggested some type of league donation to a cause Andrew believed in based on something his team accomplishes.

Worth mentioning that "Other Andrew" rode in Andrew's place for the HIV/AIDS ride.

"Andrew Wildman accepting the top fundraiser award at HCRA 2016 from Prentiss Douthit on behalf of Andrew Howard. Not a dry eye in the house.
I can't thank everyone enough who gave. Happy we could give Andrew one last win."[/img]
Guardians

Post by Guardians »

Padres wrote:
Rangers wrote:

Worth mentioning that "Other Andrew" rode in Andrew's place for the HIV/AIDS ride.

"Andrew Wildman accepting the top fundraiser award at HCRA 2016 from Prentiss Douthit on behalf of Andrew Howard. Not a dry eye in the house.
I can't thank everyone enough who gave. Happy we could give Andrew one last win."[/img]
That's great. Happy people stepped up to do that.
Royals

Post by Royals »

Andrew had set a goal of raising $750. He ended up raising $10,393.
Phillies
Name: Nick Perry

Post by Phillies »

Padres wrote:
Rangers wrote:

This is awesome.

Return to “Announcements”